Apple "sold out" of 1GB iPod shuffle till January

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Keep in mind the shuffle is probably the least competitive of Apple's products right now. For the same price there are competitors offering much more complete products. It isn't like when they were first released and Shuffles were cheaper but competitors offered things like radios or LCDs. Right now Shuffles are in need of an update or price drop.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Originally posted by Telomar

Keep in mind the shuffle is probably the least competitive of Apple's products right now. For the same price there are competitors offering much more complete products. It isn't like when they were first released and Shuffles were cheaper but competitors offered things like radios or LCDs. Right now Shuffles are in need of an update or price drop.

right now the only thing the shuffle needs is more shuffles, not updates or price drops
  • Reply 23 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boombashi

They just came out with the nano and 5G iPod a few months ago, and they will release updates to those models before X-MAS next year. I guess MacCrazy will be the only one without a 6G iPod under the tree next year.

They should not release an update to a consumer product just after the holiday season. It is a bad business move. Release an update at late February at the earliest to avoid aggravating your customers and making them wait in the future. An upgrade just before the holiday season is an excellent idea as it means everyone is buying a new product and people aren't waiting for another update.

I will upgrade my iPod when Apple can offer me a bigger hard-drive than I currently have (60GB).
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

They should not release an update to a consumer product just after the holiday season. It is a bad business move. Release an update at late February at the earliest to avoid aggravating your customers and making them wait in the future. An upgrade just before the holiday season is an excellent idea as it means everyone is buying a new product and people aren't waiting for another update.

Apple's recent history says that you are wrong (for the reasons already stated in this thread).

I used to think the same way, but then I realized how wrong I was.

Holiday gifts need to be announced, released and available in September/October (November at the very latest).

Releasing product updates shortly after (January) is actually quite brilliant. First, you sell out of everything you currently have for Christmas...and then tap into the "Christmas gift money".

Apple is executing well on their marketing, product development, product planning, manufacturing, distribution and releasing. Apple knows how to run their business very well (or so it appears).
  • Reply 25 of 38
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmok1

And what would you call a the new iPod that got one inch cut off?

"iPod shuffle castrated"...

Do you even know what "castrated" means?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

I will upgrade my iPod when Apple can offer me a bigger hard-drive than I currently have (60GB).

CES occurs in early January and is an entire show dedicated to the release of new consumer electronics so the businesses disagree with you. It's like the sales after Christmas, everybody knows they are coming yet still they choose to shop beforehand. Buy what you want when you need it.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    I don't think that all that many people would wait till after the holidays, even aware that Apple would relese un upgrade to the product they are going to buy.

When you're buying stuff for yourself, of course you will wait when you hear a rumor that it will be upgraded in only a couple weeks. But for Christmas when your getting stuff for others, people don't wait till afterwards to give their gifts. If the new update for the product is not out, they're gonna get the older one.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Like you said, they ARE doing better. iPod nano / video capable iPod, iMac, powerbooks, powermacs ALL just before the holiday season. They can't update EVERYTHING in October you know.

Lots of people get money for Christmas, I give my daughter cash, I don't really know what to get her, Early to mid January is actually fairly busy at places like Best Buy
  • Reply 29 of 38
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Psychic Shopper

Lots of people get money for Christmas, I give my daughter cash, I don't really know what to get her...

Have you tried asking her, Super Dad?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

OK It looks like I'm outnumbered, I would personally wait and tell my friends to wait but that's just me! Christmas isn't that important to me really anyway!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

I know had my father ever asked me I would have said I like the cash

Plenty of grandparents and things just give gift vouchers though.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

This is not a good time for an upgrade in product. Next year no-one will, buy an iPod at Christmas - they will all be waiting for a new one later.

If I remember correctly a new iPod mini was also predicted in January last year. This did not happen, Apple wisely chose to wait till March, I think it was.

For the Apple & Mac fans - it's surprising that Apple doesn't sell an "Apple Surprise Gift Voucher" at this time of year.

For all the friends or parents who know someone is an Apple fan, and don't know what to get them.... and ofcourse the Apple fan KNOWS there's something new in January
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Warn your friends - fake iPod shuffles showing up on ebay:

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?

While this might not be a problem in the US it is worth telling friends about.

As for Apple selling out - there will still be inventory in the supply chain and probably a few stores. Maybe even some Apple Stores. I'm personally impressed that Apple could have cut the inventory management so close and have no problems with one line of iPods selling out. There are other lines available and it looks like the nano will be the other iPod that is very hard to get ahold of.

It all bodes well for something in January. Only 22 more days until the Keynote.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quick survey of kids, by kids...

On the KTLA (Channel 5, Los Angeles) morning news today they had a story about a school that took a whole school student survey about what were their top X-mas present wishes...

#1- iPod (no particular model)

#2- PSP

#3- XBox360

Hey, the kids know!
  • Reply 35 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by biaachmonkie

This I think highlights one of the dumbest things about Apples product marketing and development. They need to release new products BEFORE the Christmas shopping season, NOT RIGHT AFTER! Its silly to release new products in January after lots of people have just blown through a good chunk of their disposable income for the year.

Hopefully they are improving on that, with the release of the Nano and Ipod + Video before Christmas. But they should move MacWorld Expo to August if they are going to continue to use it as an event to launch products and draw attention. In August, if they have products available at anouncement, they could still capture a lot of back to school purchases, and have things released in time for Christmas.

I can't agree with you here.

There are good reasons for Apple to do it this way.

Look at the situation Apple has with the iPods. They are running out of product in Nanos. They are out of product for the 1GB Shuffle. Sales for the 5G's are much better than expected, and are benefiting from the out-of-stock situation of the Nano, so that some people are trading up.

Now look at Apple's sales throughout the year. The first quarter, the one we are in now, is Apple's biggest sales quarter for the year. The second quarter, the January quarter, is the slowest.

If Apple came out with new product for this quarter, they couldn't supply enough anyway - just as they can't now with "older" product. Therefore, there is no point in discontinuing the product at this time since it's selling so well.

But, next quarter is slow. What better way to bolster sales than to announce *new* product for this slow quarter?

This way, Apple has the best of both worlds.

Get rid of oldest product during the holidays, when they can sell more than they can make anyway, and intro new product to replace the oldest lines in January, when sales are at the low for the year, thus boosting them, and evening Apple's quarterly results
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Apple's recent history says that you are wrong (for the reasons already stated in this thread).

I used to think the same way, but then I realized how wrong I was.

Holiday gifts need to be announced, released and available in September/October (November at the very latest).

Releasing product updates shortly after (January) is actually quite brilliant. First, you sell out of everything you currently have for Christmas...and then tap into the "Christmas gift money".

Apple is executing well on their marketing, product development, product planning, manufacturing, distribution and releasing. Apple knows how to run their business very well (or so it appears).

It's damn well about time!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Sales for the 5G's are much better than expected, and are benefiting from the out-of-stock situation of the Nano, so that some people are trading up.

I've had no problems finding 2GB nanos in either colour and I somewhat doubt people are upgrading from wanting 4GB nanos to 30GB iPods, the markets are too different. I suspect the 5G iPod is just the focus of increased demand.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I've had no problems finding 2GB nanos in either colour and I somewhat doubt people are upgrading from wanting 4GB nanos to 30GB iPods, the markets are too different. I suspect the 5G iPod is just the focus of increased demand.

I don't know, I read that somewhere. They are different markets. you are right about that. But I read in several places that people who come in for an iPod want to go out with an iPod. This is the holiday season, after all. If it's a matter of getting the gift, or not getting one, then I can see it happening.

We have had several reports of retailers being out of Nano's.