Transferring music from CDs causes viruses?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Rolling Stone has done some articles about CD companies implanting viruses/spyware on theirs CDs. When you upload songs from a CD to your iPod, your computer gets infected.

Is there anyway I can protect my computer? They said in some cases even if you click no to install these types of programs, it?ll load automatically.

Why hasn?t the music industry kept up with the times? People have been copying music forever, does that mean all iPod owners lose out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    At a guess, I'd say the article is talking about Sony BMG with their rootkit CDs. Firstly this is only known to affect Windows PCs, because no-one who owns a Mac or runs Linux would ever try to copy music illegally.

Basically it installs Sony's own music player onto your computer, then uses rootkit technology to hide the files behind it. This isn't really a virus, but there are several major problems:
    • Firstly, the hiding procedure is extremely simple; any file with a filename starting with $sys$ will be hidden. This allows any old hacker to use something much more complicated to hide his/her virus. Fortunately, it also allows the general user to check whether they have the rootkit installed: Make a notepad file and save it as "$sys$whatever.txt" to your desktop. If you can see it on your desktop, you're clean. If it disappears there's a good chance you have the rootkit installed.

• Probably the first thing people noticed was that when they tried to get rid of the rootkit and the software, they lost their disc drive; by that I mean Windows cannot see it and it doesn't get shown in My Computer. I'm not sure on the state of play at the moment, but last I heard it was extremely difficult to get rid of safely.

• Lastly, the software has been seen to "call home". It uses the internet connection and unknown to you sends a message back to Sony HQ as to what music it is you're listening to.

Many people, including the state of California, the country of Italy and just about every computer geek everywhere find this just slightly wrong. As a result in just over the last month, Sony has been sued by the above mentioned.

I believe other CDs to be okay. Sony BMG is trying to recall all these rootkit CDs, news is that Amazon has emailed anyone in possession of one to send it back to get another/refund. They really shouldn't be in the shops anymore. The first thing to do is check whether you already have it using the method I mentioned above.

There isn't a decent way to protect yourself from these Sony rootkit discs, but chances are if you don't have it, you'll be unlikely to pick up a CD that does have it. The amount of people that got it, percentage-wise is pretty low, Unfortunately for Sony, and fortunately for the general user, enough knowledgeable people got it to cause a great stir.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Firstly this is only known to affect Windows PCs, because no-one who owns a Mac or runs Linux would ever try to copy music illegally.

Barring your tongue in cheek intent, this is false: http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2122

Not quite the rootkit, but kernel extensions none the less. Not expected behaviour for an audio CD.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Barring your tongue in cheek intent, this is false: http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2122

My bad.

Although, on hindsight, how were they thinking of getting Mac users to install these extensions? Novice users will open iTunes play or rip and eject. Advanced user will probably do the same, but if they were to open the folder, they'd be a little curious of the .app file and may run it. A EULA would scare me away, unless I thought it was bonus material (Very little chance of it being in a Mac only .app file though). At a last chance the prompting for my root password, would send me running...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    great to know danielctull, thanks.

do you think three year old sony/bmg CDs have this too?

also: it's not really about copying music, it's about copying the CD (which i bought) to my iPod that has me concerned.

• Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by blondieblue227

great to know danielctull, thanks.

do you think three year old sony/bmg CDs have this too?

also: it's not really about copying music, it's about copying the CD (which i bought) to my iPod that has me concerned.

As far as i know the oldest Sony BMG CDs known to have the rootkit on are from around the start of this year. Most definitely three years is too early for it.

With regards to copying CDs, the music industry sees copying for both illegal practices or legal in the same boat. \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ok, great! because i think i have some of their older CDs.

hmmm, too bad they can't think of it as keeping up with the times. if i buy something i should be able to listen to it in all types of players.