Apple is better, not for their designs, but for their caps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28430

Very interesting read. Apples last longer because of better-quality components. Of course they did get burned by bad caps on the graphite Airports (easy to fix); but now PC buyers are getting really worried...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    It's interesting that this article was written now, when Apple is on the verge of switching to Intel. Once Apple uses the same processors, chipsets, GPUs, etc. (but not the same caps) as all the other PC makers, will customers start to complain about the price?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

It's interesting that this article was written now, when Apple is on the verge of switching to Intel. Once Apple uses the same processors, chipsets, GPUs, etc. (but not the same caps) as all the other PC makers, will customers start to complain about the price?

No because it still won't have to use the cheap components. You buy the machine for the Mac OS. Because of that, Apple does not have to compete with all the other wintel machines.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I find it silly how some people love show their ignorance... the article is a prime example.

X86 PC market is far more complicated than everybody trying to make $600 laptop or $200 desktop.

Last time I've looked at the Panasonics and Fujitsus, I didn't see anything close to this price and I don't think we will for a while.

There are tiers of price and quality, just like there is in any market where there is a choice. If you want a $600 laptop that you'll be sending for repair every 2 weeks, get a Dell.

If you want a high quality, durable business machine with 8 hour real battery life and magnesium casing that sustain 110 lb being put on the lid, get a Panasonic.

You have a choice. It would be silly to say that Panasonic competes with Dell here.

With Apple there is no choice (upto now) so you have to pray that they don't cut too many corners.

If the iMac circuit boards go bad, you're stuck. If the memory slot on powerbooks is defective, you stuck. You can't go to another company and buy their product instead.

Apple has had their fair share of hardware problems in the recent years when they outsourced hardware production to south asia. Very similar to other PC companies (DELL, HP, IBM) that outsource to the same sweatshops.

I like this one the best:

Quote:

Those will just work better. Need a 12,000RPM fan to cool a CPU that puts out 190W? Sure you can get them cheap, or you can get a water cooling rig that is not cheap, but it is silent, and works a hell of a lot better.

This guy is obviously not an engineering type. The whole point here is that you're an idiot if you're trying to put a 190W CPU into a desktop anyway... and on top of that using a liquid cooled system. That's like pull out a tooth through the ass! Better just use another CPU... which is what Apple finally figured out.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Very interesting read. Apples last longer because of better-quality components. Of course they did get burned by bad caps on the graphite Airports (easy to fix); but now PC buyers are getting really worried...

So that's why my Graphite Airport stopped working...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

Because Apple wants you to get a new one.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

If you want a high quality, durable business machine with 8 hour real battery life and magnesium casing that sustain 110 lb being put on the lid, get a Panasonic.

You have a choice. It would be silly to say that Panasonic competes with Dell here.

Hey skatman, do you currently own a Panasonic Toughbook? I would have to say that they are indeed some of the most durable computers I have ever used. I recently purchased a CF-18 Touch Screen with intergrateted GPS and GPRS, the battery lasts 7 hours with full gas and the screen is twice yes twice as bright as any Powerbook (great for outdoors.) However it comes at price, fully loaded mine cost nearly 4 grand.

• Reply 7 of 22
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

As I mentioned, easy to fix. Google for it. About $2 worth of parts from Radio Shack.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Wow. That was a great article. I have to save this.

*click*

*click*

Saved!

EDIT: I read it again and it made me cry.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    yes, because everyone who has an airport is qualified to make modifications and repair boards...

When Apple moves to intel it wil be good, standarization on parts, and materials that can be replaced.

For example, if you want a new CPU for your powermac, you can spend $300-800 and pop one in the cpu slot on the powermac.. nothing apple can do ;-)

Much more options in terms of components and pricing. None of that pretend-to-be-oh-so-properitary crap.

Quote:

As I mentioned, easy to fix. Google for it. About $2 worth of parts from Radio Shack.

• Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

For example, if you want a new CPU for your powermac, you can spend $300-800 and pop one in the cpu slot on the powermac.. nothing apple can do ;-)

Is this based on substantive knowledge? I feel like Apple would try to take some steps to prevent Joe End-user from buying any CPU upgrade they want and plugging it in...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Haxz0r Jim Duggan

Is this based on substantive knowledge? I feel like Apple would try to take some steps to prevent Joe End-user from buying any CPU upgrade they want and plugging it in...

Come on, they don't hate their customers that much, do they? People have been upgrading CPUs on Macs for some time. Look at the B&W G3's, they even have a ZIF socket to make it easy.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Why these threads are put into Future Hardware, and not general discussion I have no idea, but I thought that guy was quite bias, and uninformed. The clown did no research on that article to back up the majority of his yammering.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    My sisters $799 Dell notebook has:

(Intel) - 1.7GHz Pentium M (2MB Cache) Processor

(Intel) - Chipset (533MHz FSB)

(Intel) - Shared Graphics (128MB)

(Samsung) - 512MB DDR2 533MHz Memory

(Seagate) - 80GB 5400rpm (8mb Cache) Hard Drive

(Sony) - 24X CDRW/DVD Optical Drive

(Broadcom) - 54G WiFi MiniPCI Card

(Broadcom) - Internal Ethernet

(Synaptics) - Scrolling Touchpad

(Sigmatel) - HD Audio

(Samsung) - 15.4" WideScreen Bright LCD Panel

Other than the GPU (which is so so), what 'better' internal components would a $999 iBook have?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

[B]Why these threads are put into Future Hardware, and not general discussion I have no idea...

Onlooker is right. Thread should be moved to Current Hardware. Sorry for starting it in the wrong forum.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    apple is designed to last for a long time not like the other pc manuf. out there. every two years a new computer. which one cost more. think about that.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moved to GD by request.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

This is interesting. For all of those who wonder if Apple will start to use cheaper components, I would say that won't be the case unless they outsource the board engineering.

You see, the issue isn't so much one of using cheaper capacitors as it is one of using capacitors that are outside the recommended ranges -- usually for tolerance and ESR values -- of the analog ICs that they accompany. Generally speaking, if you have two capacitors with the same mean capacitance but different prices, it's because the cheaper one has lower tolerance and higher ESR. The part datasheets are usually quite clear of this. However, since most (if not all) electronics parts are designed and documented in the good 'ol USA, I wouldn't be surprised if the language barrier is the proverbial nail in the coffin for quality engineering in exceedingly cost-conscious Taiwanese programs. That is, is might be very easy for someone to overlook a small diagram in a datasheet if that person can hardly read it.

In a related topic, Apple avoids this problem with iPods, since the tiny since of the iPod requires them to use only multi-layer ceramic capacitors, which are, for larger values, quite expensive (as much as $1 a piece!). However, they perform exceptionally well, and are the only kind small enough to work in an iPod.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Not to be picky, but what kind of news outfit lets copy be published with phrases like "cheap as hell"?

If my public writing/journalisum class in High School taught me anything, it was to NEVER use slang or language that may be offencive to readers in articals that are for mass audiences. (I am not offended, just shocked and less trusting of these guys)
  • Reply 19 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    People in these comparisons vastly underestimate the cost of developing, maintaining and supporting a custom OS, all of the other players just toss $100/unit to MS to handle that.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Not to be picky, but what kind of news outfit lets copy be published with phrases like "cheap as hell"?

If my public writing/journalisum class in High School taught me anything, it was to NEVER use slang or language that may be offencive to readers in articals that are for mass audiences. (I am not offended, just shocked and less trusting of these guys)

I don't intend to be condescending here, but you took a high-school journalism class -- and now you're an expert. Next, this isn't a news article, but it is rather an opinion piece, hence different rules apply. You may notice that even in stodgy publications such as the NY Times you'll find colorful language in the op-ed section.