Apple shipping 100K nanos a day, mulls 1GB model

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Which isn't a smart assumption, if you take the ASP into account.

I think I missed something, because I don't know what you mean. Can you explain?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think I missed something, because I don't know what you mean. Can you explain?

ASP = average selling price, so I would guess that the poster was referencing looking at price vs. unit sales percentages. So the iPod Shuffle for example could simultaneously comprise 35% and 10% of iPod sales, assuming that it is a higher volume and lower cost product than, say, the iPod Nano (please note that those numbers are completely arbitrary).
  • Reply 23 of 25
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Apple doesn't disclose sales numbers per model, but they do disclose the average selling point of iPods.

Q2/05: 191

Q3/05: 179

Q4/05: 188

As you can see, it has been hovering around $180-200 for a while. A little bit of calculation reveals that this makes the higher-end iPod shuffle and the lower-end mini (at that time) the most-purchased items.

Therefore, your assumption that the nano only makes up for about a third of sales is very off. I think it's fair to assume, rather, that it makes up for 60-80%.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Does anyone have an idea of how many 2Gb and 4Gb are being produced out of the 100,000 daily?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As they said, 100,000 a day equals 9 million for the quarter. There have been sales estimates for that many Nano's.

The question is, how many of those Nano's are making it to the stores?, and when did the production get to that level? If they were making 50,000 a day, and raised production to that level a few weeks ago, then we can understand why there have been shortages. It's the last few weeks that the big surge in purchasing has begun.

So it's possible that there will "only" be 7 million produced for the quarter, rather than 9.

But, it's also being said that sales of the 5G's are equaling, and in some cases, even exceeding, the sales of the Nano lately. That would ease the pressure on Nano production, and raise the ASP this quarter.

I will be very interested to see what that is.