Should I Wait ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Im looking into getting a high end mac. I had one at work over the summer and fell in love. Im looking to get a quad 2.5 with 4 or 6gb of ram, 7800gt and 2x 19inch Hyundai 8ms lcd monitors. Should I wait for the next generation or just go with this setup. I hear the intel based systems are supposed to come out in january.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew266

Im looking into getting a high end mac. I had one at work over the summer and fell in love. Im looking to get a quad 2.5 with 4 or 6gb of ram, 7800gt and 2x 19inch Hyundai 8ms lcd monitors. Should I wait for the next generation or just go with this setup. I hear the intel based systems are supposed to come out in january.

This generation of PowerMacs was released in October. Don't expect a new generation for several months; specifically, Intel-based PowerMacs may not be available until mid-to-late 2006, if not even 2007.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Damn, that's a lot of computer. If you have the money, why wait? A quad 2.5 with 4gigs of RAM should last you a good number of years.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Sounds like a pro setup, and pro software might take quite some time to get to Intel, so I say go for it now.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thanks alot guys, im looking to do some serious graphical work and web work, and some programing on it im starting to hate my pc more and more each day and all i think about was how stable my mac at work was
  • Reply 5 of 10
    You might consider whether maybe a dual 2.3 might meet your needs. It's a good programming platform, with both the classical Unix make tools as well as a multi-language IDE, Xcode. You can use Eclipse if you like that better.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Yea i been using eclipse on windows and is been working well for me. i have the money and i get a student discount so its not a big diffrence in price, im not getting the ram from mac im going to install it my self so that should save me like 1000 at least
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Don't wait!

I went through the same turmoil before I got my Quad 2.5 with 16gb and a 30" monitor. I do lots of database programming and publishing with graphics. Don't think me too corny if I say it changed my life! Go for it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

19inch Hyundai 8ms lcd monitors

Sounds like TN panels. For graphical works?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Buy now, no need to wait. There is a good amount of time ahead for intel p-macs...and the quads sound pretty sweet.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    If you buy now, you can always ebay your machine off later if you really want to buy an intel mac when they are out