End Of Office Ie! Yes!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This post is to celebrate the death of internet explorer for Mac. Yeee-ha.

Edit: My bad about the subject, the brain was on the fritz. It should just be: The end of IE for Mac! Yes!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    What does Office have to do with it?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yeah, except there are still sites out there that rely on internet explorer (even, yes, the forgotten internet explorer for mac). it's a wonderful round-robin of buck-passing, as microsoft can say "well it's not our fault they made their site only compatible with IE" and the site owners can say "well, we didn't want to pay our staff to learn how to program for anything above and beyond the 95% of the browser population at the time we went live with our database... and heck, we just assumed microsoft would never ever lose ground. who could blame us?"

and meanwhile, those switchers who buy a mac and then attempt to access their previous online bank statements or utility account info or whatever suddenly find they can't anymore. they call the providers, and they say "sorry, we don't support anything but internet explorer for pc." at that point there is a 50-50 chance they will blame either the company for tying to IE for windows so closely, or blame themselves and their perceived "foolhardy" decision to switch.

what could solve all this? microsoft coming in and cleaning up the mess they started and investing the same kind of effort on a mac browser like they have a windows browser. but i guess that's asking too much from a company that is obviously so broke they can't invest any money in such non-profit endeavors *cough*xbox*cough*.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yeah, except there are still sites out there that rely on internet explorer (even, yes, the forgotten internet explorer for mac).

Netscape can render and load internet explorer pages just perfectly
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Netscape can render and load internet explorer pages just perfectly

wow, you've verified this on the entire internet? you must have loads of spare time.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

what could solve all this?

If at least Firefox doesn't work with it, it's time to change banks. Any good, respectable bank that offers secure online banking should know better than to tie themselves to just one product out of bazillion of them in the market.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

what could solve all this? microsoft coming in and cleaning up the mess they started and investing the same kind of effort on a mac browser like they have a windows browser. but i guess that's asking too much from a company that is obviously so broke they can't invest any money in such non-profit endeavors *cough*xbox*cough*.

I think you are assuming that they could fix the mess they created.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

If at least Firefox doesn't work with it, it's time to change banks. Any good, respectable bank that offers secure online banking should know better than to tie themselves to just one product out of bazillion of them in the market.

yeah, thank god i can finally trot out a legit browser like firefox for those companies that try to fall back on JUST supporting ie, since, you know, that's the "only" windows-browser. you bring up firefox and watch them cringe (you can even hear it over the phone... "oh damn, he's got us there...")

• Reply 8 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

wow, you've verified this on the entire internet? you must have loads of spare time.

He was presumably speaking of Netscape 8 for Windows, which has IE's engine integrated (as well as Gecko).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

He was presumably speaking of Netscape 8 for Windows, which has IE's engine integrated (as well as Gecko).

whoa. wait. there's a netscape EIGHT?!?! who the hell is still developing it?

***scurries over to netscape.com to verify this***
  • Reply 10 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

A third-party company named Mercurial.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

You learn something new everyday...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    The first thing I did when I got my iBook (1st Mac, 11/2003) was delete IE. I have nothing against Microsoft, but I would rather have none of their products on my laptop. Access would be the only exception and Microsoft does not make a version for the Mac it does not matter.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

The first thing I did when I got my iBook (1st Mac, 11/2003) was delete IE. I have nothing against Microsoft, but I would rather have none of their products on my laptop. Access would be the only exception and Microsoft does not make a version for the Mac it does not matter.

Do you use Office?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    My school's website will only work with IE, but I've never tried netscape. It won't work with Safari or FireFox.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

My school's website will only work with IE, but I've never tried netscape. It won't work with Safari or FireFox.

Doesn't that seem a little ridiculous?

Okay, a lot!!!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    There is a site that I use that will not work with Safari, but for some crazy reason will work with Shiira????