FUTURE HARDWARE 23 DAYS, and counting.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    Keynote:

I am thrilled today ... sold more iPods a day than there are bugs in MS Vista ... iTunes biggest online music store (pie charts all over the wall) ... Last year shuffle. About time to replace it. Brand new shuffle 1GB ... ... Zillion videos sold. ? Year of home entertainment ? Honoured to welcome to the stage some CEO of some network announcing a new big deal for content for iTunes. ... Macs. We?ve got some new macs for you. The first Intel based Macintosh. The new iBook ? Did I mention that they come in black and white? ?. New PowerBooks ?. Build in iSight ... Both iBook and PowerBook come with ilife ?06 which includes Front Row 2.0. ? iLife ?06 includes 5 brand new themes for iPhoto books (etc etc etc. ) ? Airport Lounge: wireless audio and video streaming to TV / Stereo. It plugs right into your wall and is ready to go. So we got new shuffles and new Intel iBooks shipping today and new PowerBooks shipping by the end of the month. iLife ?06 will be on the shelves next week.

Oh yeah there is one more thing ? New Mac mini with intel processors, TV tuning full support for Airport Lounge and is shipping today. ? Thank you very much.

Some notes: I think that if new Intel iBooks are introduced PowerBooks have to follow soon if not right away since the iBooks would easily have a faster processor than the PowerBooks which would be odd.
  • Reply 42 of 132
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeterT

Keynote:

I am thrilled today ... sold more iPods a day than there are bugs in MS Vista ... iTunes biggest online music store (pie charts all over the wall) ... Last year shuffle. About time to replace it. Brand new shuffle 1GB ... ... Zillion videos sold. ? Year of home entertainment ? Honoured to welcome to the stage some CEO of some network announcing a new big deal for content for iTunes. ... Macs. We?ve got some new macs for you. The first Intel based Macintosh. The new iBook ? Did I mention that they come in black and white? ?. New PowerBooks ?. Build in iSight ... Both iBook and PowerBook come with ilife ?06 which includes Front Row 2.0. ? iLife ?06 includes 5 brand new themes for iPhoto books (etc etc etc. ) ? Airport Lounge: wireless audio and video streaming to TV / Stereo. It plugs right into your wall and is ready to go. So we got new shuffles and new Intel iBooks shipping today and new PowerBooks shipping by the end of the month. iLife ?06 will be on the shelves next week.

Oh yeah there is one more thing ? New Mac mini with intel processors, TV tuning full support for Airport Lounge and is shipping today. ? Thank you very much.

Some notes: I think that if new Intel iBooks are introduced PowerBooks have to follow soon if not right away since the iBooks would easily have a faster processor than the PowerBooks which would be odd.

If all that happened that'd be sick!
  • Reply 43 of 132
    Quote:

The dual-core version of Yonah , which sources say will be marketed as "Centrino Duo," will be available in a low-voltage version at speeds of 1.5GHz, 1.66GHz, and 1.83GHz, while a faster "performance" version will ship at speeds of 1.66GHz, 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, and 2.16GHz. Bus speeds and L2 cache are expected to remain the same between the variants, at 667MHz and 2MB, respectively. Sources cautioned that not all speeds might be announced concurrently, and that the performance version of the dual-core Yonah might not be announced until later in the quarter.

With this information what speeds will go where? I think that overall Apple needs to show a decent speed boost to all the computers that go Intel, similar to those that happened with the move to the G5 for the PM. Possible scenerio:

conservative
    • PowerBook 1.67 > 1.83

• PowerBook 1.5 > 1.66

• iBook 1.42 > 1.66

• iBook 1.33 > 1.5

• MacMini 1.42 (1.5) > 1.66

• MacMini 1.25 (1.33) > 1.5

optamistic
    • PowerBook 1.67 > 2.16 (Performance)

• PowerBook 1.67 > 2.0 (Performance

• PowerBook 1.5 > 1.83 (Performance)

• iBook 1.42 > 1.83

• iBook 1.33 > 1.66

• MacMini 1.42 (1.5) > 1.83 (Performance)

• MacMini 1.25 (1.33) > 1.66 (Performance)

The second still leaves some head room for the iMac which could go to dual core G5's. The first is a little weak, but then these are dual core chips so even at the lower speed jump performance should see a good improvement. Either way I'm more interested in this release than I have been in one for quite some time, especially the MacMini.
  • Reply 44 of 132
    Oh man are you guys going to be disappointed when those first Intel macs are announced in june when they're supposed to be
  • Reply 45 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

Oh man are you guys going to be disappointed when those first Intel macs are announced in june when they're supposed to be

Depends what people value more...disappointement or surprise. If people don't care being disappointed, sticking with the thought of a January release is fine. If people care about a good surprise, it's good to think they won't be out before June.

A minor correction though...they're not *supposed* to be released in June. They're supposed to be released *between now and June*. That was the gist of what we heard this summer.
  • Reply 46 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Depends what people value more...disappointement or surprise. If people don't care being disappointed, sticking with the thought of a January release is fine. If people care about a good surprise, it's good to think they won't be out before June.

A minor correction though...they're not *supposed* to be released in June. They're supposed to be released *between now and June*. That was the gist of what we heard this summer.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that, thanks for pointing that out. I just am hearing so many people talk about intel macs coming out in January as if it's a sure thing. I'd feel bad for those people if it didn't actually happen.
  • Reply 47 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Trackball. Right. Uh-huh.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. The latest optical ones are good.

OK, trackpad if you prefer. If I'm sitting in the living room, I don't want to have to find a flat surface to slide a mouse around on. (And I don't care for the little red joystick that Thinkpads used to have.)
  • Reply 48 of 132
    Just to put it out there --

Jobs said this will be a 2 year transition, but that means the entire thing from start to end. So, all intel macs should be out by WWDC, and then its just converting people from PowerPC to Intel after that.

And seeing as the OS transition is over, do you think Leopard will have officialy killed Classic?
  • Reply 49 of 132
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Just to put it out there --

Jobs said this will be a 2 year transition, but that means the entire thing from start to end. So, all intel macs should be out by WWDC, and then its just converting people from PowerPC to Intel after that.

And seeing as the OS transition is over, do you think Leopard will have officialy killed Classic?

Yes classic will officially be gone. (I hope)

2 year transition gives them until the end of 2007 to have everything out AFAIAC, but If they were late with some of them it wouldn't really matter. I think they will get them all out when intel has all the processors they need. Simple as that.

But I think It will be sooner than december 2007 that all the Macs are running on intel.
  • Reply 50 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yes classic will officially be gone. (I hope)

But then how the heck am I supposed to play Oregon Trail?!?

(Which runs flawlessly on my Powerbook running 10.4 in classic mode )
  • Reply 51 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

But then how the heck am I supposed to play Oregon Trail?!?

(Which runs flawlessly on my Powerbook running 10.4 in classic mode )

Keep the Powerbook, just for that
  • Reply 52 of 132
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    A new subnotebook with 10 hour battery life for those on the go. Fold it closed and slide it in your inside jacket pocket.
  • Reply 53 of 132
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

A new subnotebook with 10 hour battery life for those on the go. Fold it closed and slide it in your inside jacket pocket.

I hate subnote books and the idea of them. Where and when are you that you need something that small? What kind of tasks would you need that for? Checking email? Get a pda. I just don't see the need for something like that, that is so annoying to use. 12 inches is too big?
  • Reply 54 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I hate subnote books and the idea of them. Where and when are you that you need something that small? What kind of tasks would you need that for? Checking email? Get a pda. I just don't see the need for something like that, that is so annoying to use. 12 inches is too big?

Travel task. I want a full keyboard to type my mail. I want to use Tiger instead of some half-wit pocket pc O/S on a PDA. I have a HP iPaq 5555. Wireless everything, and it sucks to use for email while traveling.

Scheduling rail passes, plane reservations, and having full copies of my important doc's on hand in a encrypted disk image are important. Oh yeah, being able to open Excel documents, write letters in Word, and do invoices/quotes, and calculations away from my office to email back would be nice to make sure my company stays running. Using FUGU, thank God for those who created that program, to gain access to my home iMac is a must. PDA's just don't cut it for that stuff. Ease up on your subnotebook outlook and realize that some of us need it.

I would settle for a 1 GHz processor (or less), 40 Gb hard drive with 1 GB of ram being optional. Ethernet, wireless network card, one firewire and one usb 2.0 port are a must. Beyond that, it is just extra's.

Is 12" too big? Yes, , for hardcore travelers or business guys on the go in the field, it is too big and to heavy.
  • Reply 55 of 132
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Subnotebooks have historically been big sellers in Japan and there is a market, small as it is, in the US and abroad that wants a computer that is as small and light weight as possible for travel. They are typically willing to sacrofice internal removable media for size and weight, relying on Docs and external drives. I believe that these are typically more expensive (aka. higher profit margin) than a like powered standard laptop.
  • Reply 56 of 132
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Japanese people are smaller on average than Americans however. Really small notebooks don't fly with large people with large fingers.
  • Reply 57 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Japanese people are smaller on average than Americans however. Really small notebooks don't fly with large people with large fingers.

Thank you for the compliment but have you seen the average computer dork lately (myself included)? We are not exactly WWE material here.
  • Reply 58 of 132
    I think this is what might happen with the laptops:

They will get rid of the 12inch ibook/powerbook and 14 inch ibook and replace them with

if they did have a 13.3 inch ibook I dont see any reason to keep a 14 inch one?

13.3 inch standard laptop(1.6 ghz) and maybe a 12 inch new ultra-slim version(1.6 ghz low voltage?)

Then have a 15 inch and 17 inch dual core 2ghz?
  • Reply 59 of 132
    Dell announced those laptops :

Precision M90, le Lattitude D620 et D820.

PWS M90 - Intel Core T1300 (1.66GHz/2MB L2 cache/667MHz FSB)

PWS M90 - Intel Core T1400 (1.83GHz/2MB L2 cache/667MHz FSB)

PWS M90 - Intel Core T1500 (2.00GHz/2MB L2 cache/667MHz FSB)

PWS M90 - Intel Core T1600 (2.16GHz/2MB L2 cache/667MHz FSB)

So if there is no powerbook 2,16, Apple won't be the best.

And Powerbook and iBook have to be out soon because those Dell laptops will be out in february... So...

Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

With this information what speeds will go where? I think that overall Apple needs to show a decent speed boost to all the computers that go Intel, similar to those that happened with the move to the G5 for the PM. Possible scenerio:

conservativePowerBook 1.67 > 1.83
    PowerBook 1.5 > 1.66
    iBook 1.42 > 1.66
    iBook 1.33 > 1.5
    MacMini 1.42 (1.5) > 1.66
    MacMini 1.25 (1.33) > 1.5
    optamisticPowerBook 1.67 > 2.16 (Performance)
    PowerBook 1.67 > 2.0 (Performance
    PowerBook 1.5 > 1.83 (Performance)
    iBook 1.42 > 1.83
    iBook 1.33 > 1.66
    MacMini 1.42 (1.5) > 1.83 (Performance)
    MacMini 1.25 (1.33) > 1.66 (Performance)
    The second still leaves some head room for the iMac which could go to dual core G5's. The first is a little weak, but then these are dual core chips so even at the lower speed jump performance should see a good improvement. Either way I'm more interested in this release than I have been in one for quite some time, especially the MacMini.

• Reply 60 of 132
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I used to date a female sumo wrestler. She had a small notebook, studio apartment, and drove a compact car too. Somewhat of an enigma.