TaxCut vs TurboTax

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any major difference between these two tax applications?

Which is better and/or preferred and why?

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I personally do it online. I can't remember now which one I used, but there are a number of them available.

[edit] I guess it's turbotax that I use online. I can't really tell you the answer to your question, but I looked at several of them and that seemed like a good one to me at the time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I've used turbo tax for the last several years. It's not a pretty app, but it does the job. My tax situation: Married, two incomes, 1 kid, house, minor investments and donations, few business expenses. I'm not taxing the program (puns always intended), it can handle more complicated cases.

The first year is the hardest because of the data entry. After that they have you hooked. Intuit is up there with MS in terms of big software companies that I love to hate.

Never tried the other program.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    TaxCut all the way. I've been using it since 1998 I believe. Very easy to use. Integrates your state and federal stuff very well.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [Resurrecting an 11-month dormant thread]

It looks as if TaxCut for Macintosh has been discontinued (note that this link doesn't open properly in Safari, which ought to tell you something). I've used TaxCut for the last couple of years. We don't have a house or kids, so our taxes aren't that complicated. Will TurboTax work for us? How is it to use? Will it import our tax info from TaxCut?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    I guess its what you get used to. We've tried both, and the TurboTax seems like a more mature interface. Nice thing this year is that Turbo Tax includes the Mac and Windows version in the same box (YEAH!).
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have used TurboTax/Mac-in-Tax for about 10 years. The product has been better every year. It is too bad that the H&R Block TaxCut Program is cancled this year. With more people using MACs then ever, I can't believe that the demand for the program has been shrinking. God help the rest of us that aren't in the top 5% income level.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    I've always used Tax Cut and found it pretty simple to use. Now I just went to buy the 2005 version and found that they weren't making it. Bummer.

Looks like I'll be making the switch.

Anyone know if there is a way to import Tax Cut info from previous years to Turbo Tax?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Hmmm, I know Tax Cut would import Turbo Tax data, but I can't find any information on Intuit's TT page saying it would import Tax Cut data. At least now I understand why H&R Block mailed me a Windows CD even though I've been using their Mac product for a couple of years now.

Bummer that they stopped making the Mac version. I really didn't like Turbo Tax the last time I used it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

At least now I understand why H&R Block mailed me a Windows CD even though I've been using their Mac product for a couple of years now.

Yeah, I got that too. I had hoped that was just a random mailing and not because they actually thought that I would switch over. It's interesting that they fail to mention anything about their cancelation of the mac product in the mailing.