iLife 06

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With MacWorld coming, does anyone have any info on iLife 06? Some of the things I would like to see:

iMovie

- Supprt for Analog/Digital bridges for Movie Magic.

iDVD

- Support for External (non-Apple) DVD burners

- The ability to write to a DVD disk image for the One-Step DVD process.

- iPhoto

- Rewritten from scratch to be much more robust and usable (with elements of Aperture).

Does anyone else have anything they want fixed or added?

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

- iPhoto

- Rewritten from scratch to be much more robust and usable (with elements of Aperture).

Dave

How about they just fix Aperture?
  • Reply 2 of 55
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

How about they just fix Aperture?

That will happen in parallel, of course. I'm sure they share a lot of code -- they definitely share much (if not all) of the RAW handling code, for instance.

I also hope Aperture will eventually have an Export API compatible with iPhoto's, or at least a similar one.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Include FrontRow for all mac users

8)
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Built in noise-reduction in iPhoto!!!
  • Reply 5 of 55
    I think Front Row is a no brainer - it'll sell a lot of suites.

iPhoto needs a speed bump for those with a lot of pics. Also a need to have both Rotate buttons (each direction) on the toolbar at the same time - a real irritation as I always have the wrong button showing. Throw in a few more tools to clean up pics and it should be fine.

Aperture Express. Probably not, maybe a stand alone app next year.

Edit. Forgot - add a feature to delete duplicate pics - something easier than iPhoto Diet.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Also a need to have both Rotate buttons (each direction) on the toolbar at the same time - a real irritation as I always have the wrong button showing.

If you right click on the picture you get both options - but I agree it would be better for computer novices to have them both on the toolbar.

Quote:

Edit. Forgot - add a feature to delete duplicate pics - something easier than iPhoto Diet.

Definitely another vote for this.

I would also like iMovie to make fonts smoother and less blocky when doing titles. And a decent red-eye system in iPhoto! It's worse now than it was in the old versions.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Also a need to have both Rotate buttons (each direction) on the toolbar at the same time - a real irritation as I always have the wrong button showing.

Option-click and it'll rotate the other way.

I don't see the big deal anyway since good modern digital cameras auto-rotate anyway...
  • Reply 8 of 55
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Here are my thoughts for additions to iLife '06:

1) Low end Motion, built into iMovie. Also, new imacs with Built in iSights need to be able to record right into iMovie. When iSight were built in, they are on a USB bus and therefor no longer works with iMovie.

2) I don't think they will add Front Row to iLife for two reasons.

a) not everyone has an infared reciever built into their mac

b) it is not a digital hub & Spoke application

c) I think they should add iChat to Front row through, especially if they intend on building a Living Room device.

3) add some of the new web and book layouts from Aperature into iPhoto. I would also like to see the cutting table view like Aperature has.

4) For iTunes, redesign two sections.

a) Itunes radio needs to have a new layout, similar to the store. I shoudl be able to scroll around, find a station and listen.

b) Pay a little extra, e.g $1.50, for the song in Apple Lossless format.

5) IDVD, new themes, layouts and faster burning speeds. i would also like to see a larger application window size. IDVD seems like such a small app, they need to make it take up more room on the destop.

6) iPhoto - a lot more templates for building a web page. In addition, now that iPhoto has movies, I would like to be able to have iPhoto recognize that I am trying to post a movie and bring up the various Movie templates associated with Homepage. Then upload it all the same way I would for creating a photo web page.

7)More to come.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

c) I think they should add iChat to Front row through, especially if they intend on building a Living Room device.

I'm curious how you would control iChat with a 6-button device and use it in a single-window, notification-less environment.

Text chat? Only with a Bluetooth keyboard. Voice chat? Only with a Bluetooth headset. Video chat? Pretty much impossible.

Quote:

a) Itunes radio needs to have a new layout, similar to the store. I shoudl be able to scroll around, find a station and listen.

b) Pay a little extra, e.g $1.50, for the song in Apple Lossless format.

These sound good but I don't see them happening. iTunes radio is pretty much abandoned space (much like iTunes visualizer) and the industry might not want to sell lossless music, DRM or not.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

I think Front Row will be included in iLife '06 because it is used to view your personal media content, and then some. The Mac mini will get an infrared receiver built into it and Apple will most likely sell a USB powered infrared receiver for Macs that do not have one already built-in.

It would not surprise me if people started to use the current iLife apps to create their media content, but use Front Row to access that content.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I think Front Row will be included in iLife '06 because it is used to view your personal media content, and then some. The Mac mini will get an infrared receiver built into it and Apple will most likely sell a USB powered infrared receiver for Macs that do not have one already built-in.

It would not surprise me if people started to use the current iLife apps to create their media content, but use Front Row to access that content.

Yes.

The question is, will iDisk provide roaming access?
  • Reply 12 of 55
    funny like everybody is forgetting GARAGEBAND!!

So what could be added to this WONDERFUL soft?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I'm curious how you would control iChat with a 6-button device and use it in a single-window, notification-less environment.

Text chat? Only with a Bluetooth keyboard. Voice chat? Only with a Bluetooth headset. Video chat? Pretty much impossible.

Nah. You under estimate the power of UI. Have a built in or add on iSight, just hook it up to a living room hub, and then just select using the remote on your buddy list who you want to have a video chat with. And for text if you really wanted to, you could use a wireless keyboard. What I think would be cool though is bookmark portions in Safari that is like "Saved RSS feeds" or something like that, which can broadcast to Front Row in the living room.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Why can't Apple add a click wheel to their remote?
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Or possibly a Bluetooth remote would be good
  • Reply 16 of 55
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    I would love to see a nice USENET client added to it - buy out Panic software and bundle Unison with it - add some Apple niceities, and I would be MORE than happy to purchase one.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

b) it is not a digital hub & Spoke application

The reason why I think iLife will have Front Row added is the potential for increasing sales. I talked to the Apple Rep at CompUSA a week or so ago and he said that Front Row was the key factor in people buying iMacs - and he was sold out. You know that Apple has received a lot of feedback from their sales force on the sales power of Front Row. It is simply too good an app to demo to a potential switcher for Apple not to have it in their new Macs and also as a motivator for us current users of iLife 05 to upgrade. I believe that there will also be a dongle or iPod base & remote control package for those of us with older Macs that want the remote feature.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Why can't Apple add a click wheel to their remote?

Ohhhh they will...and those with current remotes will feel the urge to upgrade. And Apple will laugh all the way to the bank.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Obviously it'll never happen, at least not in the forseeable future but I'd love some kind of CGI app. There's just so much fun to be had with it.

iPixar anyone?
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Another potential addition to iPhoto is to allow it to work with RAW images. Apple knows how to do it thanks to Aperture and it would make sense for a lot of users with newer digital cameras.

The other feature I would like to see is a set up screen for printing - somewhat like we have when adding our photo to iChat. Select the size to print (4X6, 5X7, etc.) and allow for shifting the photo around to where it works for you, add a resizing bar and you'll get exactly what you want.