Reports detail "Yonah" processor specs, performance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Sounds great!

Luckily, Microsoft Word is not one of those speed-criticial apps that makes people demand top performance

I can truthfully say I don't care how fast my next computer will do word processing. My LAST computer handled it just fine, my current one does, and my next one will too.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by fluidinclusion

I believe this is because Apple knows that Adobe, Microsoft, etc. applications that require G4 will either be VERY LATE 2006 or 2007 before they're ready, and I think some may NEVER port over from PPC (important apps). Apple had to provide SOME sort of compatability or people would become so frustrated that they'd leave the platform.

Or the fact that they ONLY promised G3 support as a minimum as they didn't want to over promise and fail to deliver, now that they know that Altvec emulation is possible, they've gone ahead and made it officially part of it.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Highly unlikely will you see a Mac with an array of I/O ports like a component receiver. That goes against Apple's design philosphy in every way.

Apple is more likely to design a media center where I/O goes through one wire like HDMI.

Which is unfortunate because much of Apple's design philosophy seems to involve remove any bit of usefulness occasionally ergonomics that gets in the way of appearance, and even make somethings harder to do to beautify it, i.e. form instead of function, sometimes as if they are exclusive.

I don't want to be forced to HDMI because that means either replacing my reciever and display or an expensive external break-out box for an analog display out. Which sounds something asinine enough for Apple to do.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    h/264 realtime encoding and decoding. dualcore yonah 2+ghz. a mac os driven media centre. all these together in a super sexy thingy to go next to your deep and rich true 720p plasma 50incher, then i'll vivving wet my pants. until then, meh
  • Reply 25 of 61
    dualcore yonah in rosetta for macro/adobe and microsoft apps i strongly feel will outperform slightly the existing powerbook g4s. this is so that apple can release powerbooks and make their purchase worthwhile -- better performance now, stellar performance a few months down the track. with 1 flagship application fully intel-ified (i predict adobe photoshop) just my two cents of guesses

of course, performance will not match the dualcore 2ghz g5, 2.3ghz dualcore g5 or quad (for pro ppc apps)

edit: i bet apple has a dedicated benchmarking unit to make sure there are no hidden suprises that would throw off their marketing
  • Reply 26 of 61
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Which is unfortunate because much of Apple's design philosophy seems to involve remove any bit of usefulness occasionally ergonomics that gets in the way of appearance, and even make somethings harder to do to beautify it, i.e. form instead of function, sometimes as if they are exclusive.

I don't want to be forced to HDMI because that means either replacing my receiver and display or an expensive external break-out box for an analog display out. Which sounds something asinine enough for Apple to do.

U got it upside down. Apples design philosophy is more in line with the form follows function thesis than the other way around. (Not that they always manage to accomplish that.)

Lots of ports has nothing to do with usability. It's a question of having the right ports. This is how Apple was the first company to make the USB-port relevant.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Originally posted by New

U got it upside down. Apples design philosophy is more in line with the form follows function thesis than the other way around. (Not that they always manage to accomplish that.)

Lots of ports has nothing to do with usability. It's a question of having the right ports. This is how Apple was the first company to make the USB-port relevant.

the port situation on the mac mini though many would argue, is clearly a case where function was well bloody secondary to form but in general, i agree, i think the mac mini, like the cube (ouch, a naughty comparison) are exceptions to the apple form and function beautiful-synergy apple philosophy.

ipod mini 1st and 2nd gen (the only gen's ) : pure excellence of form and function IMHO.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Yeah, Theory is easier then practice.

The Cube is a good example. An attempt at a truely functional, minimalistic piece of computer that fails on so many details it's almost funny. One should think the hadn't tested many of the features at all. (Or maybe Jobs just insisted too hard on not changing them ;-) ).

Many of these things have been fixed in the Mini. In many ways a good evolution in a design. Still, a lot could be better. But all in all, the mini is very true to the idea of what kind of computer it wants to be.

The current iMac is a practical example of excellence in form follows function. I think its probably the most perfect mac to date.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    yes, after having moved through sata controller, midplane, capacitor, whiny fan, and overheating issues (i'm not being sarcastic, agreeing with you here) ... the imac g5 is truly awesome now. particularly the built in high-quality isight. took a little bit to work out the kinks but it's definitely f**ing brilliant now, i wish i had one...!
  • Reply 30 of 61
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

U got it upside down. Apples design philosophy is more in line with the form follows function thesis than the other way around.

Exactly. Many miss this when they see beautiful design. It often comes from though through design that is functional. That is no less true when i comes to modern technology and the user interface and menu system of the iPod compared to the other players when it was introduced is a prime example.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I don't want to be forced to HDMI because that means either replacing my reciever and display or an expensive external break-out box for an analog display out. Which sounds something asinine enough for Apple to do.

Don't blame Apple for what is becoming an indusrty standard, unless it is succeeded by UDI, which will be even better.

Apple MUST follow the standards.

We will as well. It won't be too long now when all hi fef monitors will become obsolete if they don't have at least DVI/HDCP, or HDMI/HDCP, or UDI/HDCP.

We don't have to like it. The content providers are requiring it.

And these newer standards have higher bandwidths for future increases in quality.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Does anybody think that the iBook will be dual core? Won't such a machine completely spank a powerbook? I mean, even if a 1.5 Yonah is only as good as a G4, the iBook will have two and the powerbook will have only one?
  • Reply 33 of 61
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

To put a different spin on it.

Requiring a receiver with so many different I/O ports is bad function and design to begin with. Someone long ago should have looked at the back of a consumer receiver and thought "man this is ridiculous". A lot of it is redundant and needed to be consolidated long ago.

There are professional video cards that work with high bandwidth Serial Digital Interface. They have slimmed the I/O down to the necessary few wires your NLE system needs to work with a professional deck.

Another example is the current state of the remote control.

The design of the consumer remote control is a supreme example of bad unintuitive deesign.

When Steve Jobs introduced the six button remote. Some people decried that it lost function in favor of design. But what that ignores is the fact that a 50 button remote control is such bad design that most of those buttons serve no function for most people.

I'm no technology novice and I have no idea what most buttons are for on most remote controls. I mostly use them to change the channel, adjust the volume, play, rewind, fast forward, etc. But the other 40 buttons I have no idea what they do.

Having said all that at times Apple does make some design/function blunders. And that's OK there is no way they can be 100% perfect. And they learn from their mistakes to make the next version better. At least they are making the effort.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Does anybody think that the iBook will be dual core? Won't such a machine completely spank a powerbook? I mean, even if a 1.5 Yonah is only as good as a G4, the iBook will have two and the powerbook will have only one?

Apple has been crippling iBooks for years. Can we say, "second core disabled?"
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

Does anybody think that the iBook will be dual core?

The iBook is intended for consumer use not professional. Apple probably won't offer the iBook as dual core this year. For one reason dual core will raise the price point. Another reason is that it is not expected that the general consumer will use multithreaded applications that could even take full advantage of dual core processors.

Quote:

Apple has been crippling iBooks for years.

The iBook is a solid deal for its size, weight, price point.

USB, Firewire, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, S-Video out, DVD/CD burning.

Plus OS X and iLife.

I don't know of any other OEM that offers this degree of software/hardware functionality for $999.

Quote:

Can we say, "second core disabled?"

Exactly why would Apple spend more money to put dual core in an iBook only to disable one of the processors.

Especially when intel will offer cheaper single core versions of Yonah.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

[i]

Exactly why would Apple spend more money to put dual core in an iBook only to disable one of the processors.

Especially when intel will offer cheaper single core versions of Yonah. [/B]

But the single core Yonah is not supposed to come on line until the second half of 2006. Can the iBook wait?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

But the single core Yonah is not supposed to come on line until the second half of 2006. Can the iBook wait?

That's right. If the rumors are true then they won't.

Intel will be selling dual core Yonahs as single core units when only one core is working, but I would hope that there won't be many of them.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

Intel will be selling dual core Yonahs as single core units when only one core is working

Really, I didn't know that.

This all seems pretty dubious to me. There are too many twists and turns to the story.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

USB, Firewire, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, S-Video out, DVD/CD burning.

Plus OS X and iLife.

I don't know of any other OEM that offers this degree of software/hardware functionality for $999.

It doesn't support external monitor resolutions above 1024x768. (Everything down to the cheapest $500 competitors does not suffer from this problem.) It can't even run Apple's own displays due to lack of DVI. The processor is slower than virtually anything else. Also, there is no DVD burner in $999 iBook like you imply.

Don't get me wrong, iBook is an *okay* deal, but there's no avoiding the fact it is crippled on purpose.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Well let me reframe what I was saying in its full context.

Quote:

The iBook is intended for consumer use not professional.

Quote:

It doesn't support external monitor resolutions above 1024x768. (Everything down to the cheapest $500 competitors does not suffer from this problem.)

How many consumers (people who know little to nothing about computers) will demand to view DVI monitors from their laptops?

Quote:

The processor is slower than virtually anything else. Also, there is no DVD burner in $999 iBook like you imply.

Yes the G4 is growing long in the tooth. But processors are so over blown on these chatrooms. Out here in the analog world I know alot of people who are getting work done on G4 laptops.

Part of what I said above was left unspoken about. I said SOFTWARE/hardware functionality. Anti Mac people like to trumpet PC hardware, but shy away from the reason we use computers in the first place. The software.

Yes you got me on the DVD burner. This doesn't seem to be a deal breaker as noted by this past year's brisk sales of Apple laptops. The iBook sits comfortably on Amazon's top ten sellers list, often in the number one slot.

We all have our individual definition of "crippled". Thankfully we have a choice.