compression suggestions for 8.5g video

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
got a new canon sd200 which can make video clips in quicktime

made a "clip" but is 8.5mb, when i try to send to my family it bounces back saying exceeds email limit (aol, comcast, verizonwireless--sent ok with my gmail account) what do you suggest as a compression technique (hopefully free or cheap) to send from my ibook to their window's email?? and i learned my lesson changed some things to make the file size smaller it's only 12 seconds long

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The fastest way is to lower the resolution. You may have to use FFMPEGX for that one. Some of those camera files can be tricky. You can also compress it using h.264 (also in FFMPEGX) and that should save some space.

However, the REALLY, REALLY fast way is to use Yousendit.com to email the big file or host it on a server.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Compress the audio, first, the cam has one mic, so use mono, not stereo, next, use a low bitrate, in teh neighborhood of 16k because the mic used isnt that good of a quaity to start with so you really arent loosing much since the target audiance is likly using PC speakers which usually stink....

and lowering the resolution as the previous post mentioned is also a great tip.

If you know someone with Quicktime pro, you may have them render it with the 3gpp (cell phone) video codec, not high quality,but barable and really really small, and the best aprt, it takes care of the video resize, framerate change, and audio compression for you with one click.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    YOU ARE AMAZING--it worked, what a find!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU