Sources: Intel developing next-generation Power Mac for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 347
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I can't imagine Jobs going with Intel Inside stickers. Even for millions of dollars.

We've had a big thread about this on ARs. It's amazing how something this unimportant can garner so much chatter.

The question is this. if Apple does succumb to Intel's marketing, and it wouldn't be such a bad thing, would they would be stickers (removable), or embossing (non-removable).

I couldn't care less if it says "Intel Inside" on the box, and on a removable sticker. If Apple can get tens of millions back from that, great! That's more profit, and a healther company. That's what we want, isn't it?

If it's embossing, and it's done subtly, and well, I wouldn't mind that either.

If it also makes PC users more comfortable, and willing to buy Apple's machines, that's very good too.

The thing that's important is that it doesn't say "Windows Inside".
  • Reply 22 of 347
    I do not know how reliable "The Inquirer" is but they are running a story that Intel is going to drop the "Intel Inside" logo for a new one. If this is true then maybe we will see it during start up when the hardware is getting checked and then the Apple logo will appear while the OS is starting. Doing this could keep stickers off the case while still advertising Intel and it would have the benefit of only being seen when booting.
  • Reply 23 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I can't imagine Jobs going with Intel Inside stickers. Even for millions of dollars.

Business is business. I'm not saying he will, but that is what it comes down to here. If Intel can make it worthwhile for him, Steve Jobs will not hesitate.
  • Reply 24 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by heaven or las vegas

How will this impact support for firewire ?

I don't think that would be a problem. If Apple drops Firewire, it won't be because of Intel. Intel will support whatever Apple asks for.

This won't be just any standard PC mobo. It will be designed and built for Apple. It might be a BX board, though.

It would be up to Apple as to whether we get SLI or Crossfire support, and 3, 4 or 6 slots. It will also be up to them whether they are higher capacity slots, as they are now, (4, 8, 16), or the slower ones PC board makers usually use (1 speed, except for the graphics slot(s). Also, how many USB connectors, etc.

Just because Intel might be designing and building it doesn't mean that Apple won't have handed in the specs, and have engineers working with them.
  • Reply 25 of 347
    If you don't care whether or not future Apple computers will have ugly Intel stickers on them... you are not a legitimate Apple fan and your ability to post on this message board should be revoked.

If you actually think Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive are seriously considering such a move, then you simply don't understand them in the slightest.
  • Reply 26 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The question is this. if Apple does succumb to Intel's marketing, and it wouldn't be such a bad thing, would they would be stickers (removable), or embossing (non-removable).

Usually just stickers, but stickers that leave grease behind for months after being removed; I fear iBook's sensitive white coat may never recover.

"Intel Inside" stickers won't make PC users feel any more comfortable and they'll make long-time Apple users uncomfortable.

I'm typing this on my dying Toshiba Satellite Pro. Aside from the Toshiba logo, there's another sticker reminding me it's a Satellite Pro, another informing me my speakers are protected by a titanium mesh, two grease marks from long-ago removed Intel Inside and Windows stickers. That's just on the inside. There are 8 more stickers on the bottom, including my Windows product key and several quality control stickers.

I removed the Intel and Windows stickers after one started to fray and the other started to slide down my keyboard as the glue melted during an especially long stretch of programming. After I removed them, there was a grease spot on the gritty black surface for some time.

Stickers damage looks, and looks are Apple's killer feature.
  • Reply 27 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

If you don't care whether or not future Apple computers will have ugly Intel stickers on them... you are not a legitimate Apple fan and your ability to post on this message board should be revoked.

If you actually think Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive are seriously considering such a move, then you simply don't understand them in the slightest.

That's a *very* funny post!
  • Reply 28 of 347
    Actually if Apple wants to include firewire it won't be a problem. Intel has their own chipset for firewire, or they can use Apple's. Intel's chipset for firewire is top rate, just like Apple's.

Quote:

Originally posted by heaven or las vegas

How will this impact support for firewire ?

• Reply 29 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Usually just stickers, but stickers that leave grease behind for months after being removed; I fear iBook's sensitive white coat may never recover.

"Intel Inside" stickers won't make PC users feel any more comfortable and they'll make long-time Apple users uncomfortable.

I'm typing this on my dying Toshiba Satellite Pro. Aside from the Toshiba logo, there's another sticker reminding me it's a Satellite Pro, another informing me my speakers are protected by a titanium mesh, two grease marks from long-ago removed Intel Inside and Windows stickers. That's just on the inside. There are 8 more stickers on the bottom, including my Windows product key and several quality control stickers.

I removed the Intel and Windows stickers after one started to fray and the other started to slide down my keyboard as the glue melted during an especially long stretch of programming. After I removed them, there was a grease spot on the gritty black surface for some time.

I use GOO GONE. That is made to remove these stickers. While they recommend that you try it on a hidden area "just in case", I've never had a problem with it.

It even removes those discount stickers from the front cover of books that Barnes & Noble uses, without leaving any residue (as long as the covers have some hard ink or plastic coat).

Remove all stickers as soon as you are sure that you won't have to return the item. If you wait several months, the adhesive begins to dry out, and changes its chemical composition. It then becomes much harder to remove, and leaves a residue that is also harder to remove.

Never use a solvent on plastic, unless it states that it CAN be used. Sticker removers usually are based upon a petroleum distillate, which rarely harms plastic. WD-40 usually works as well.

NEVER put it directly on the item. If the sticker doesn't seem to peel off easily, then wet a small piece of cloth or a folded paper towel. Keep it on the sticker until it works its way through, then peel it off slowly, so it doesn't tear. Sometimes, if the sticker begins to peel off, you can apply the cleaner to the edge that you are peeling. It will dissolve the glue at the edge and make peeling easier. Remember, go SLOWLY! Wipe up any residue with a CLEAN piece of cloth or paper towel wetted with more cleaner. Re-using the same piece will smear residue over the case.

I've literally done this hundreds of times, and have never had a problem.
  • Reply 30 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Exactly.

Aesthetics are what sets Apple apart from its competitors. The amount of work that goes into the design of Apple products is something you don't see from most other manufacturers. And it's not just the products - look at the packaging.

I'm sure the Apple/Intel relationship will be getting enough press as it is.
  • Reply 31 of 347
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Intel does make very good quality motherboards. And Mel is right about the stickers, the sooner you take them off, the better. There are also some tricks like using a piece of masking tape to pull off residual glue, etc. (Do NOT use a rubber pencil eraser). Alcohol's bad for plastics, but I agree on Goo Gone, it uses some kind of lemon oil which seems harmless.

I'm a fanatic about removing stickers on things, almost as much as I am a fanatic about labelling ports and cables. (Using a sharpie to make embossed labelling show up works great.) But to me, the "Intel Inside" isn't the worst thing in the world. The worst stickers in the world are the Microsoft "Certificate of Authenticity" ones. They're almost impossible to remove, and the only reason they're there is because the OEM was too cheap to give you software CDs (media), so they're adding insult to injury.

But I don't think Intel will actually manufacture the motherboards. That will be outsourced to some Chinese company, like all of Apple's hardware. Intel will only be doing the design work, as they do for many OEMs, I think including Dell.
  • Reply 32 of 347
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Hurrah! Finally somebody gets it.
  • Reply 33 of 347
    I could see an Intel sticker on the box, and perhaps even a few small, tasteful signs in Apple retail stores indicating which models have Intel chips. But no sticker on the computer itself. I don't think Apple would do that for any amount of money.
  • Reply 34 of 347
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

That's a *very* funny post!

... and somebody who doesn't.
  • Reply 35 of 347
    From a reliabilty standpoint i think its a fantastic idea. These new mactels are going to rock. 8)

Looking forward to seeing these babies in the real world.
  • Reply 36 of 347
    Quote:

So I am not a legitimate Apple fan because I might care more about the functionality and the features of their products more than a 1" square stamp someplace on the case? If all you care about is looks then I don't see how you could be a legitimate Apple fan, because there is far far more to Apple's products than looks. It's about the overall design, the end experience for the user, and so many things. Great looks is just one the extra benefits.

And who's to say that if they do use an Intel sticker/branding of some sort that it couldn't be done in an "apple" sort of way? Maybe it would be hidden someplace on the back you never see, or underneith, or maybe it's not an ugly Intel Inside sticker at all, maybe it's a new "mactel" logo?

I agree that I don't think Steve or Mr. Ives would allow an ugly sticker to stink up their beautiful design, but that doesn't mean that it can't be there and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm not an Apple fan.

PLus, what about when they started to put PowerPC logo's on the cases? Is this not the same thing?
  • Reply 37 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

... and somebody who doesn't.

I don't think either of you know much about them.

I don't know if Apple will go this way or not.

I didn't say that they would, if you actually read my posts. But, along with many here, I wouldn't mind it.

Hating stickers is childish, at best.

If someone is too lazy, or disinterested, to remove them, big deal.
  • Reply 38 of 347
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

I use GOO GONE.

Hmmm. I thought you would probably use photoshop for this...

Stickers suck. I can't imagine Apple would do this for any sum. I think the simple fact that they do not have ads on iTunes or their own Store site where they could be making craploads of money is testament to this.

I guess we will see but I wouldn't bet on the stickers.
  • Reply 39 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Hmmm. I thought you would probably use photoshop for this...

Stickers suck. I can't imagine Apple would do this for any sum. I think the simple fact that they do not have ads on iTunes or their own Store site where they could be making craploads of money is testament to this.

I guess we will see but I wouldn't bet on the stickers.

It's only good for virtual stickers.

I'm not betting either way.

I just don't think it's a big deal.
  • Reply 40 of 347
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I wonder is this is the start of the Microsoft model: Writing software for hardware built by other companies...