Two iPhoto Questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions regarding iPhoto.

By default, iPhoto seems to open every time I plug my USB camera in. Is there any way of turning this feature off?

Also, I have noticed that, on using a Finder window, only some JPGs appear as thumbnails, those that I have previously imported into iPhoto. Is it possible to similarly view JPGs that I have copied directly from my camera onto the hard drive?

I generally find OS X a superior operating system compared to Windows. However, I must say, that I find the photo-management easier in Windows, unless I am missing something. I find iPhoto and Preview a little cumbersome for simple photo thumbnail-viewing, arranging and manipulation. It seems to be better integrated in Windows.

Regards,

Nius.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    For your first question you must turn to a program that is built into Mac OS X, not iLife, which is called "Image Capture"

This program is located in the Applications folder or if you have Tiger you can spotlight it. From there:

1. Make sure no cameras are connected to your computer.

2. Open Image Capture (in your Applications folder).

3. Choose Image Capture > Preferences.

4. Click the Camera button at the top of the Preferences window and choose an application from the pop-up menu.

As far as your second question, this MIGHT help, MIGHT not, but its worth a try.

Go to your finder and go to View > Show View Options (Apple-J) > check the check box that says: "show icon previews."
  • Reply 2 of 2
    niusnius Posts: 58member
    Thank you very much.

I will give that a go.

Nius.

Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

For your first question you must turn to a program that is built into Mac OS X, not iLife, which is called "Image Capture"

This program is located in the Applications folder or if you have Tiger you can spotlight it. From there:

1. Make sure no cameras are connected to your computer.

2. Open Image Capture (in your Applications folder).

3. Choose Image Capture > Preferences.

4. Click the Camera button at the top of the Preferences window and choose an application from the pop-up menu.

As far as your second question, this MIGHT help, MIGHT not, but its worth a try.

Go to your finder and go to View > Show View Options (Apple-J) > check the check box that says: "show icon previews."