New iMac Screen

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently got to a CompUSA that had the New iMac in and got to see it offline for the first time. It was awesome. There were a few things that pictures kind of trick you on though, the Pro Speakers where a little bigger then I expected and maybe the base, but I mean there just pictures and I'm not at all disappointed. The screen was bigger then I expected it to be, it looked like the same size as my 17" CRT. I started moving the screen around and it didn't seem like it was as easy as they said it is to move. I was expecting a more of a liquid fluid motion and it just moved like anything else would I guess. I don't think it would be that easy for a 4 year old (or whatever Apple said) to be able to move it without any troubles. That was the only thing that kind of bugged me. Could it be just the model and people messing with it? Or are they all like that? It didn't really bug me that much, I just wondered. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I have one and you do have to use a little force to move the screen, but not a great deal. It doesn't glide with the slightest touch by any means and I don't think it needs to.

Chris
  • Reply 2 of 6
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    The screen arm on my imac moves smoooothly as anything. Everbody goes "wow" when they first use it, so i assume it must just have been that model.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fonerootfoneroot Posts: 102member
    I think it might be the model too, if it isn't, it doesn't bother me
  • Reply 4 of 6
    You've got to draw the line somewhere. If it is too fluid, a bump to the work surface could cause the screen to move around. It has to have some resistance to keep the screen where you put it. I had the same feeling when the press got a look at it after the keynote, but the thing already costs a lot, and you can spend a lot of money on making it for "fluid"
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Poised as the key Hub of a set-up including a G4 Cube and Cinema Display, linked via AirPort and Base Station, my new iMac 800 makes a fantasticsche site dedicated to special tasks and ease of moving in for "close-ups"
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

<strong>Poised as the key Hub of a set-up including a G4 Cube and Cinema Display, linked via AirPort and Base Station, my new iMac 800 makes a fantasticsche site dedicated to special tasks and ease of moving in for "close-ups" </strong><hr></blockquote>

special tasks like wowing your friends with your amazingly beautiful computer setup

a cube with cinema display PLUS new iMac= amazingly beautiful