FUTURE HARDWARE 23 DAYS, and counting.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 132
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

I live in Japan and see the new stuff the Japanese makers are coming out with and it is mind-boggling. Apple, IMHO, need to play some catch-up, especially in the area of monitors. The new Sonys are cheaper, faster and have monitors that blow my home hteater system away.

The FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE PLEASE LIST

- Higher quality control: too many machines are currently DOA or have problems which are causing down time for their owners while the mangers at Apple are getting filthy rich off of stock options

(I speak from experience: of my last 8 Macs, six have been repaired, four of those twice, three of them three times or more, three machines were replaced and I am currently awaiting repairs on two- not to mention my first three 2.0s were DOA; my first Mac, a Mac Plus, lasted 13 years without a single problem (other than being dropped twice which did it no harm)

- Software that works on all models (the current problem with 10.4 on dual processor 2.0s comes to mind)

- dispense with AppleCare; jsut make good products that truly work and have a good 3-5 year warranty to begin with.

- BTO should not change the status of the computer in any way

THE WISH LIST

- lighter laptops

- better, brighter, sharper and less-expensive monitors all-round

- FW port more accessible on the iMac (functionality can be a design feature)

- More, more more USB and FW ports (laptops: 4 USB, 2FW)(desk: 6 USB, 4 FW)

- smaller form factor for the PM

- iSight in all models or monitors (if they can get 3.2 megapixels in my cel phone- which is not available in the US?- they can get a good iSight in a PB monitor lid)

- wireless might mouse

- Front Row for everyone

- faster conversion to iPod format under QT pro

- upgrade iWork with spreadsheet and a drawing program, along with label printing

THE APPLE COULD DO THAT IF THEY WANTED LIST

- more ergonomic keyboards

- smaller and lighter power bricks for notebooks

- advertising for Macs (tons of ad money for iPods leads me to worry that Apple will drop the computers at some stage)

That's it for now.

Happy whatever holiday you celebrate!

Bergermeister

Well Bergermeister, you seem to be the hard-luck man of the Century. I do sympathize, but can find absolutely nothing in my 20 years of Mac use to compare with your situation. I think I purchased very version of KanjiTalk ever-- at gross waste of money, as it turned out. Thank the kami for OSX.

I might add that I spend about a third of my time in Japan, too, so have gone through all the horrible days of trying to service macs from one end of the country to the other, with those dreadful Canon "service centers" in the bad old days before Apple Store! My only service problem on recent macs was a HD that failed after heavy use in my first G4^3. I did, I admit, have the leprosy problem on my G4 Powerbook, but that was taken care of IMMEDIATELY by my local AppleStore in SoHo.

On the rest of your message: I was struck by both the care taken in your problem list and in your wish list. Good thoughts! I wonder if we cannot get a real mid-form G5 powermacs without having to haul home one of today's G5's.
  • Reply 102 of 132
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Is Micropuke planning to make an intel native Office for Mac?

I believe it has been announced that yes, they are planning to.
  • Reply 103 of 132
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I believe it has been announced that yes, they are planning to.

Yes Adobe, and Microsoft will have native apps ready to go. I wouldn't doubt it if they didn't have them ready for a few months already. I know that Luxology had everything in hand, and ready on their transition box a while ago.

MWSF 13 days away and counting. It's two weeks away folks!
  • Reply 104 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Well Bergermeister, you seem to be the hard-luck man of the Century. I do sympathize, but can find absolutely nothing in my 20 years of Mac use to compare with your situation. I think I purchased very version of KanjiTalk ever-- at gross waste of money, as it turned out. Thank the kami for OSX.

I envy your 20 years of good Macs... Apple is at the moment replacing the keyboard on my PB for the third time. They even once told me they were not confident that they could fix it, and that I should buy AppleCare just in case. Later (just last week) they said it (the laminate comming undone) was something that happened and was not un-heard-of, especially when the user was a heavy typer. Sounds like lung cancer.

Agreed on kanjiTalk; it was a true waste of money. OSX has made things nice! The only problem now is while most of Apple's apps will switch languages through the International settings in SysPrefs, they didn't bother to update AppleWorks, nor did their subsiderary do the same for FileMakerPro. iWork 06 hopefully will solve all of this!

With the popularity of the black iPods, will Apple come out with multi-colors again in their computers? What about a chameleon iMac that can actually change colors (using LEDs or something like that)?

One more thing would be a lighter wireless keyboard.

Will there be live coverage of The Event (the Keynote is all that we live for) this year, or the European leak, or will we have to wait until after His Steveness speaketh to hear all of the good stuff?
  • Reply 105 of 132
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Will there be live coverage of The Event (the Keynote is all that we live for) this year, or the European leak, or will we have to wait until after His Steveness speaketh to hear all of the good stuff?

It seems Apple does not announce a keynote stream until a few days before an event, usually based on expected disappointment level.

Expected low disappointment level: keynote is streamed live in QuickTime.

Expected high disappointment level: keynote stream is delayed until later.

• Reply 106 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

It seems Apple does not announce a keynote stream until a few days before an event, usually based on expected disappointment level.

Expected low disappointment level: keynote is streamed live in QuickTime.

Expected high disappointment level: keynote stream is delayed until later.

Dude that is about the size of it too.
  • Reply 107 of 132
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, I think live streams haven't been done for a while for rather practical reasons: it's a lot of work.

Apple needs to:

1) provides four streams (traditional low-quality MPEG-4 for computers too old to handle H.264, such as mine as well as three different H.264 versions)

2) encode all these four streams in realtime (with as few seconds delay as possible)

3) stream all these four streams to millions of people watching, spread over the world.

They get help from Akamai on the last, but the first two are quite an effort, and quite importantly, they don't add significant value to the company. They're nice to watch for geeks, but frankly, what's the big deal? So you get to watch it a few hours later, giving Apple a chance to encode all four versions without real-time (thus probably achieving slightly better quality).
  • Reply 108 of 132
    12 Days - 13 till the Steve-note.

Quote:

I know that Luxology had everything in hand, and ready on their transition box a while ago.

Modo would be very cool to see demoed. Mathematica usually gets some airtime, too. Carefully crafted Photoshop filter-offs are usually a standard, as well.

Will Apple show Windows vs OS X Intel bake-offs? You know they must have people trying to find applications that do ANYTHING faster under OS X than Windows.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 109 of 132
    According to the schedule, Steve's got 90 minutes for his keynote. Is that enough time to cover all the new things that have been mentioned in the rumours?

How can he cover:

1. The usual how brilliant Apple are speech.

2. Intel based Macs replacing those formerly based on the G4. Possible Yonah based iMac. And showing why they are so much better than the models they replace.

3. Mac Mini based media center.

4. New content delivery methods - such as movie streaming.

5. iLife '06 features.

6. iWork '06 features.

7. Shuffle update.

8. wi-fi devices replacing current airport devices with perhaps more empahsis on media streaming.

9. New stuff that hasn't been leaked.

And probably some others I forgot, in just 90 minutes?
  • Reply 110 of 132
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

How can he cover:...

I think, as usual, the rumors are way too optimistic.

One new Mac and a bunch of software is about what I expect.
  • Reply 111 of 132
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    You forgot IPODS

and the obligatory music dude to demo garage band something or other.
  • Reply 112 of 132
    Predictions:

- New content partnership deals for iTMS, possibly some full-length movie downloads to test the water (Disney / Pixar?)

- OSX Intel news - talk about how many apps are now ready to go as universal binaries, announce at least 1 big name piece of software ready. Majority of Apples pro software ported.

- iLife 06 (Universal Binary)

- Intel iBooks

- Intel Mac Mini (fastest model includes Frontrow 2.0 + remote)

- iPod Shuffle 2G

??
  • Reply 113 of 132
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

With the popularity of the black iPods, will Apple come out with multi-colors again in their computers? What about a chameleon iMac that can actually change colors (using LEDs or something like that)?

Love the idea! Imagine a Gekko version or the chameleon green to dark brown change when your boss comes in the room....

I still love that PB G3 Pismo I have sitting over there in the corner. I never upgraded it to OSX as I was preserving all my Japanese stuff on it and use it to play Japan-coded DVDs, but it does remind me that that black, and it tactile eas of use and shape, was a true home-run-- especially with all the swapping drives & things I accumulated!

I would really like to see the new PB's as sturdy as they could be, but I've invested in so many of those Japanese goodies in bags and sleeves and such that I probably don't need any...
  • Reply 114 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I think, as usual, the rumors are way too optimistic.

One new Mac and a bunch of software is about what I expect.

This is actually my guess as well. I love reading rumors, but I hardly expect to see much come of them. Especially this time.

I would like to see some kind of iHome device beyond that iMac crap thing. Although I don't think Apple realized early enough to be ready with a good one that this was the direction people were interested in going, but I do hope they realize that is where we are headed.

Someone will make it happen if they don't, but I'd rather it was Apple.
  • Reply 115 of 132
    This fall however Apple went a little crazy and relased more than the rumors, so they are capable of doing the same.
  • Reply 116 of 132
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Love the idea! Imagine a Gekko version or the chameleon green to dark brown change when your boss comes in the room....

I still love that PB G3 Pismo I have sitting over there in the corner. I never upgraded it to OSX as I was preserving all my Japanese stuff on it and use it to play Japan-coded DVDs, but it does remind me that that black, and it tactile eas of use and shape, was a true home-run-- especially with all the swapping drives & things I accumulated!

I would really like to see the new PB's as sturdy as they could be, but I've invested in so many of those Japanese goodies in bags and sleeves and such that I probably don't need any...

didn't i read here that apple has a patent for this???
  • Reply 117 of 132
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    MWSF is a consumer-related show (and CES is the 5-8 of Jan.)

That a Mac is running a certain processor is only relevant after the fact (meaning Jobs will announce the features of the product, not the specs). We are interested in the processor, mobo, busses, etc.

The consumer just wants to be blown away.

So Jobs can do a helluva lot and leave the details for us to scrounge from apple.com
  • Reply 118 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

The consumer just wants to be blown away.

So Jobs can do a helluva lot and leave the details for us to scrounge from apple.com

Hopefully he can blow us all away! Go Steve!
  • Reply 119 of 132
    11 days 'til MWSF - 12 days 'til the Stevenote.
  • Reply 120 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

MWSF is a consumer-related show (and CES is the 5-8 of Jan.)

That a Mac is running a certain processor is only relevant after the fact (meaning Jobs will announce the features of the product, not the specs). We are interested in the processor, mobo, busses, etc....

MWSF may be more consumer oriented, but the release of Intel based computers will be big, and will have to be mentioned in more than just passing. This will be important for consumers looking to buy software for their new computer and for developers wanting to release software. Steve will need to do more than just say "We have a new Mac Mini" he will have to say that "We are releasing a new version of OS X, and it is Intel compatible. We have a new computer to run it on, and we have the following developers ready to release software with Universal Bionary versions of their software."