Outage hits Apple during Christmas rush

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A mid-day power outage knocked Apple?s inventory and management systems offline on Friday, severing the company?s links to credit card processing networks around the world.

The outage also interrupted sales at the company's retail stores during what is considered by analysts to be one of the three highest-grossing days of the holiday shopping season.

One tipster told AppleInsider the outage lasted approximately two hours where he or she was located. Meanwhile, a post on the ifoAppleStore Web site offers an account from one retail store where the outage lasted over 30 minutes.

"The outage forced retail store staffers to manually process credit card purchases for over 30 minutes, slowing the POS process to a crawl," ifo reported. "Meanwhile, the already-long lines at some stores snaked out the front door, discouraging new customers from coming inside to make purchases."

There is no word on what caused the power outage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Little amendment needed in the title, this did not occur on Christmas Eve, it occurred on December 23rd.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

There is no word on what caused the power outage.

• Reply 3 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    damn!

beat me to it!

• Reply 4 of 12
    Wow this was newsworthy.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member

The Sweaty Ape is one suspect, Rob Glaser being the other.

23rd or 24th, it's still incredibly bad timing.

Has the Fruit Company never heard of enterprise-level uninterrupted power supplies? Secondary, off-site facilities? Helloooo?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    At least there was a post of some sort.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jesus christ. this is a lame post. whats the point? FUD.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Has the Fruit Company never heard of enterprise-level uninterrupted power supplies? Secondary, off-site facilities? Helloooo?

The same thing happened to a major retail chain. It happens despite all the redundancy they build in, just not as often.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I guess this means Apple only sold 98 bazillion iPods this holiday season instead of 99 bazillion.

\
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I guess this means Apple only sold 98 bazillion iPods this holiday season instead of 99 bazillion.

\

Given how shareholders can be, the share value might drop 10% for the short term.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by leobag

jesus christ. this is a lame post. whats the point? FUD.

News. Information. Let people know what's happening in the world of Apple, which, it turns out, includes the fact that someone is about to get fired (if not already).

I guess you think the only news that should be posted is either unconfirmed rumors of new macs, or Apple praise. Yeah, great way to keep that objectivity look going.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

News. Information. Let people know what's happening in the world of Apple, which, it turns out, includes the fact that someone is about to get fired (if not already).

I guess you think the only news that should be posted is either unconfirmed rumors of new macs, or Apple praise. Yeah, great way to keep that objectivity look going.

I like your reply. A little bite but not too much, or at least I hope. But someone getting fired? Servers go down on their own. Working at B&N sometimes they get overloaded (Like they did at Christmas time) and so we had to do credit and checks manually, but it only took about 30 seconds more for every transaction than normal. Sure, people are getting annoyed with the long lines - but they can not complain for not doing this earlier when everyone else was trying to get it all done at once.