How's the Pro Speakers / iSub combo?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does it sound good?

How high the volume can be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I just got the iSub and it does make the pro speakers sound different. I guess you could say they sound better, but I never found them to be bad alone. It does add something though. The main flaw I've found is that you can not control their sound independently of the pro speakers. I hope Apple allows this in 10.2. I'd rather have more high and mid tones and less bass.

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: imacFP ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacFP:

<strong>I just got the iSub and it does make the pro speakers sound different. I guess you could say they sound better, but I never found them to be bad alone. It does add something though.[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: imacFP ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, and it's called BASS!

Seriously, I have an iSub hooked to my new SuperDrive iMac and the combination of the two sounds wonderful. Admittedly, I'm not a full-tilt, flaming audiophile and am not hyper-picky about every little nuance, but they're loud, plenty of bass and clarity, look cool, etc.

I'm happy.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Yes, and it's called BASS!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh so that's what they call it? The point I was trying to make is that the pro speakers sound really good to me without the iSub, but the iSub does add something to the music. However, there are times when you can have to much bass. I like the iSub but it's not perfect since Apple won't let us control the sound level.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    in my experience they can't be turned up that loud without the loss of sound quality, the isub helps with that... but the isub is better paired with the soundsticks... but if you're gunna pay that much why not just get the klipsch pro media 2.1
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Here's what's weird: when you buy an iSub by itself, it has no volume.

But a couple of buddies of mine have the SoundSticks set-up, and on those there is a little knob on the actual iSub.

I was listening to stuff the other day and, out of curiosity, I unplugged the iSub. HUGE difference! I guess the Pro Speakers sound okay, for their size and all. But they don't put out much bass on their own.

I immediately plugged the iSub back in and all was good again.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sithsith Posts: 25member
    At least on my set of pro speakers with the iSub, i could hear just a little bit of analog clipping going on on loud vocals. Didn't matter what volume the speakers themselves were at. Barely noticable, but enough to annoy me. I should also note that I have the high end eq'd way up (in audion). Anyways, switched to my Altec Lansings for mid and high and I'm using the iSub for the low. I *love* the isub, it sounds so much better than most computer subs.