Lack of 10.5 news? :(

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

All I want is Hibernate in 10.5. Seriously...it's waaaaaaay overdue. Are any other Mac laptop people with me on this?!

Sleep has always worked great for me. Back and forth from the office each day, airports, x-ray machines, construction sites, etc.

Since hibernate works like sh*t on our office PC laptop, I just always gauge my thoughts on that. Don't really see the need. Maybe someday I will when I get a new Mactel.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Gawd, integrate Finder and Spotlight. Right now, which one am I supposed to use?

• Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

[B]Gawd, integrate Finder and Spotlight. Right now, which one am I supposed to use?

[B]

There is one key distinction between Spotlight and the Finders search. The finder lets you edit, change, etc., aspects about the file whereas spotlight is JUST a listing and does not let you edit at all: you must either open or select "show in finder".
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Spotlight's "Show All..." window doesn't have an application focus (when you click on it, the menu bar on top of the screen doesn't change or anything)

Therefore, added to the fact that it's a less-featured duplicate of Find function in the Finder, I think that the Spotlight menu should have "Show All...", which opens the identical search in the Finder, and Advanced Search, which brings up a Finder search window.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Why? They should hopefully be very active developing it right now. Its the version that has to compete head to head with the next generation Windows OS so it better be good...

Is there ANYTHING out there about 10.5?

eager to get 10.5 and then complain (or listen to complaining) about spending another $129?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    my wishlist:
    • the graphic system will be resolution independent.

• fix mail.app by removing those ugly bubble-icons.

• the developers at the "evening at alder" agreed that the text system must be improved.

• fix all those GUI problems. Sometimes, in the dialog boxes apple asks for "OK" and someother times for "acept". Also, in Aperture, the is a horizontal line above the icons, this is cool, maybe it could be spread accross the OS.

• improve the way iTunes displays the music. today, iTunes displays the music using stings, but it will be cooler if iTunes works by displaying the music by a graphical representation of the CD art cover.

• iChat to add application/desktop sharing and the feature to reacord the video/(audio)conferences.

• Finder does not displays all those UNIX files. some users will need access to those files without using the terminal.app. I do not understand why the finder does not show those files

• iCal, iChat & AddressBook get the GUI of the diccionary.app. The metal brush GUI is dead. I like more the new GUI introduced in Tiger.

• Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

akheron01

Is being a bit hyperbolic but I don't think he's trolling. I think OS X 10.5 will be more consistent on the UI front and that performance will improve. The optimizations should be nice as well. Typically Apple will announce a bunch of new features and then optimize like heck the next go round with a sprinkle of new stuff.

Jaguar- the big feature release.

Panther- the optimizations with some new stuff added in.

Tiger- The big feature release

Leopard- the optimizations with some new stuff added in.

It's all going according to plan. I don't expect that many changes to Leopard other than syncing everything (Java, OGL etc) up and replacing the finder with something that doesn't elicit the "FTFF" from Apple fans. Display performance should improve as well as a nod toward rez independence and Quartz 2D Extreme.

I am just curoius about why so many different looks. Metal, Aqua, even the unified in iTunes is different than system prefs or Mail.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I am just curoius about why so many different looks. Metal, Aqua, even the unified in iTunes is different than system prefs or Mail.

I think its 2 things.

Apple's curiosity and non-stop tinkering for a better/different way.

To fsuck with MS and its upcoming Vista. Gawd, just look at the latest Vista build. The photocopiers have been running.

Leopard may hold a few surprises as well as a solid, uniform GUI. By that time, MS won't have any new tricks for years once again.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    A sudden realization regarding "FTFF" and the lackingness of the current Finder:

All major evolutions of the Finder, which have no doubt been in the works for some time (Years?), have likely been withheld until M$ ships Vista/Longhorn/whatever. I've got $5 that says OS X.5 will have a k-rad complete rewrite of what we today know as the Finder.

By that point it will be too late to copy Apple UI innovations until the next major Windows release, which judging by Longhorn, will be in 2056 AD.

I'm serious, I think this was the plan all along and the reason for the stagnation in the Finder over the last few OS X releases.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

[B]

I'm serious, I think this was the plan all along and the reason for the stagnation in the Finder over the last few OS X releases.

I hope Apple is equally serious about that and will finally fix the Finder.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    i think that in 10.5 Apple will have finally perfected the Time Machine allowing all users of 10.5 to prevent Bill Gates from getting to the IBM meeting.

...And they will fix the finder.

14 days 2 hours 30 minutes 20 seconds to go!

Merry New Year Everyone!!

• Reply 32 of 47
    Happy Christmas!
  • Reply 33 of 47
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cesar

improve the way iTunes displays the music. today, iTunes displays the music using stings, but it will be cooler if iTunes works by displaying the music by a graphical representation of the CD art cover.

was there typo here? if i am reading it correctly, there are already two apps -- one donation-ware, one freeware-but-VERY-beta -- that might do what you are looking for...

JewelCase - an iTunes Visualizer plug-in that maps cover art onto a rotating 3D jewelcase, highlights the current track, and has some nice customizable settings. it's not perfect (like i would like to have access to ANY of my fonts for the plug-in, not just the pre-defined 10 or so), but it's pretty nice...

CoverFlow - an iTunes album "launcher" that lets you shuffle through your albums like a good ol' jukebox interface, but nice, smooth, etc. pity it's still very much a work-in-progress, but the developer seems to be working on it regularly.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I'd personaly like to see a area in the system preferences where you can veiw a list of all of your applications and choose which ones to remove right from there.

1. Go to the Finder

2. Command-F

3. Select the search criteria; Kind: Application

4. Hang on a few seconds

5. Delete away
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

Do not feed the trolls

Do not feed yourself. Your starvation will benefit people of this earth who have a sense of humor.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    right now, my biggest annoyance (not complaint, per se, because i can live with this, but i hate it nonetheless) is the finder's inability to update freespace in a timely fashion. like i have been organizing files all day on my computer and external disk, with files a-flyin' to and fro, and the desktop icon still reports there is close to 25 GB of space available on my boot drive, when, in actuality, there's 9 GB. a new finder window seems to display the correct amount, sorta, but the icon just sits there, stuck at 25 GB until i log out and then back in.

i mean, this is pretty basic stuff here, people.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

right now, my biggest annoyance (not complaint, per se, because i can live with this, but i hate it nonetheless) is the finder's inability to update freespace in a timely fashion. like i have been organizing files all day on my computer and external disk, with files a-flyin' to and fro, and the desktop icon still reports there is close to 25 GB of space available on my boot drive, when, in actuality, there's 9 GB. a new finder window seems to display the correct amount, sorta, but the icon just sits there, stuck at 25 GB until i log out and then back in.

And here I thought I was the only one that had this problem. Well, it's not good to know that other people are having it, but hopefully Apple will address this at some point if it is happening to others.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

Panther too has this issue. Curiously enough, 10.1 doesn't.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

A sudden realization regarding "FTFF" and the lackingness of the current Finder:

All major evolutions of the Finder, which have no doubt been in the works for some time (Years?), have likely been withheld until M$ ships Vista/Longhorn/whatever. I've got $5 that says OS X.5 will have a k-rad complete rewrite of what we today know as the Finder.

By that point it will be too late to copy Apple UI innovations until the next major Windows release, which judging by Longhorn, will be in 2056 AD.

Does this mean we'll finally get the uber l33t Cocoa finder?
  • Reply 40 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

Does this mean we'll finally get the uber l33t Cocoa finder?

I'm not sure what gives you the impression that a Cocoa-based Finder would be better.