My christmas gift to myself

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
All episodes of "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister"

15 hours of sheer enjoyment.

Has it ever been aired in US?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Has it ever been off the air in Britain? Casting the the script and casting excellence aside, can you live with the fact that it was (supposedly) Thactmo's favourite programme?

This used to be a favourite programme of mine, that special "skit" they did for/with her kinda-sorta fucked it for me.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Never heard of it, though it might have been on PBS at some point.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Alex: Wouldn´t it have been even worse if Thatcher didn´t even have humour? Each person has to have at least one redeeming feature or else it is truly scary. And no, I don´t like that particular piece myself either (she wrote it herself and while she might enjoy humour she wasn´t able to write it).

CosmoNut: You can get an idea from the sound bites at www.yes-minister.com but just sound bites doesn´t really do it justice.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Wot? Wot?

Hmm, never heard of it over here....

Good show? I used to watch allot of Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill and of course Monty Python.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its not the crazy humour of the Monty Pythons and very very far from Benny Hill.

The Wiki description is pretty accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes%2C_Minister

What aboout Black Adder? Has that been shown in US?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Its not the crazy humour of the Monty Pythons and very very far from Benny Hill.

The Wiki description is pretty accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes%2C_Minister

What aboout Black Adder? Has that been shown in US?

Local PBS affiliate used to run it. I found it screamingly funny, and having only known Rowan Atkinson from his Mr. Bean character (which doesn't really do anything for me) it served as a real revelation in re that gentleman's comic abilities. Miranda Richardson's "Queenie" Elizabeth makes me cry with laughter.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

All episodes of "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister"

15 hours of sheer enjoyment.

Yes, I vaguely remember seeing some of the episodes of those shows, and know that I liked them; but it has been too long for me to recall any specifics.

Did you ever watch "Rumpole of the Bailey"? I just bought two boxed sets of episodes, one 12 hours, one 18 hours, iirc; and there's another boxed set that I plan to buy that wasn't available at the store the other day.

I'm not exactly sure why I like the Rumpole series. I guess it's partly that I love British stuff in general. In fact, I have to confess that I'm a complete addict. I subscribe to British magazines, read British fiction, and love British tv series and movies. What's weird is that I didn't even realize that I had this addiction until one day about five years ago when it suddenly dawned on me that my favorite magazines, DVDs, books and tv shows were all British. Kinda scary, actually. And weird.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    My gift to myself: a complete set of Asterix comics
  • Reply 9 of 15
    My gift to myself:

• Reply 10 of 15
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My gift to myself: a complete set of Asterix comics

Cool, didn't know he was know in the new world. Although the last album sucked donkey asses, I'm a big Asterix fan. Mmm...maybe I should check out an album in English, see how the jokes translate into that language. It's pretty rooted in European geography and culture, no?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

Cool, didn't know he was know in the new world. Although the last album sucked donkey asses, I'm a big Asterix fan. Mmm...maybe I should check out an album in English, see how the jokes translate into that language. It's pretty rooted in European geography and culture, no?

I am guessing that it would be even funnier in the original language (French?), but the stories are pretty good in English too.

My "complete set" is only the first 32 books - the last one was published after the collection came out, and got such bad press that I am avoiding it.

I may get the Tintin books too...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I am guessing that it would be even funnier in the original language (French?), but the stories are pretty good in English too.

My "complete set" is only the first 32 books - the last one was published after the collection came out, and got such bad press that I am avoiding it.

I may get the Tintin books too...

Yeah, French, although I read them in Dutch mostly, and am usually impressed with the job translaters do, finding a balance between pure translation and re-writing things to adapt them to a foreign country(language).

One instance I can think of is Asterix and the Brits, where they literaly translate typically English phrases into French (or Dutch, in my case). I wonder how that would play in an English translation.

Or others where they joke with typical customs of Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, ... (with Obelix commenting, "Strange guys, those ...". I can imagine an American is not familiar with most references.

I have the whole Tintin collection at home (also have them in Dutch, although they are originally French. The author is Belgian). I guess those are much more straight-forward to translate. It's an amazing series.

Actually, I've never been able to link the very rich European comic book tradition with the very rich American comic book tradition. They are just two different things entirely. Someone familiar with the subject has an explenation for this?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

Actually, I've never been able to link the very rich European comic book tradition with the very rich American comic book tradition. They are just two different things entirely. Someone familiar with the subject has an explenation for this?

That really depends on the marketing in your demographic area.

And English language comics might not prevail where you live in any case

Here's two of my favourites;

Chris Ware - Author of 'Jimmy Corrigan - the smartest kid in the world' which received the Guardian book of the year award in 2000 (England) - beating other novels (!) from famed writers.

http://quimby.gnus.org/warehouse/

http://www.fantagraphics.com/artist/ware/ware.html

And the more contemporary Bill Waterson who does the Calvin & Hobbes series:

http://home3.inet.tele.dk/stadil/calvin.htm

I quite like 'Spirou' although that has never been translated into English as far as I know....

The translators of the Asterix and Tintin series are phenomenal - they have a list of qualifications enough to

run the WHO and make a better job of it. The problem is that the comic novel and comic form have always been looked

down as 'non-serious' literature by snobs. Thankfully that's changing, no matter how much manga kids read nowadays
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Black Adder is shown on BBC America. as is Father Ted plus others...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Black Adder is shown on BBC America. as is Father Ted plus others...

How much extra per month do you have to pay to get the package that includes BBC America, if you don't mind my asking?