Intel shows new chips, outlines platform directions

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 177
    heh. melgross: re cases: after i have owned and used powermac g3s, g4s, g5s, i am completely spoilt for taste now. i walk into most pc supply stores, look at the cases, and i cant find a single one so far that i could actually bring myself to buy. .... some alienware-ripoff cases are somewhat badass, but just too ridiculous and unweildy, they would be bulkier than a g5 case
  • Reply 162 of 177
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. melgross: re cases: after i have owned and used powermac g3s, g4s, g5s, i am completely spoilt for taste now. i walk into most pc supply stores, look at the cases, and i cant find a single one so far that i could actually bring myself to buy. .... some alienware-ripoff cases are somewhat badass, but just too ridiculous and unweildy, they would be bulkier than a g5 case

The Alienware cases match the Alien speakers from HK. You know, if you can't make it pretty, make it dumb.
  • Reply 163 of 177
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    To clarify, I want both the low-margin/higher market share & high-margin/boutique mentality focus from Apple...

Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

A twist of irony though Apple is growing marketshare because of larger OEM's being consolidated or going out of business.

Can't hurt that Apple just makes a overall better product than virtually all of the PC manufacturers... (IMNSHO)

Imagine what marketshare might actually turn into some day if there were only two major vendors for 'PCs', Apple & Dell.
  • Reply 164 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

To clarify, I want both the low-margin/higher market share & high-margin/boutique mentality focus from Apple...

Can't hurt that Apple just makes a overall better product than virtually all of the PC manufacturers... (IMNSHO)

Imagine what marketshare might actually turn into some day if there were only two major vendors for 'PCs', Apple & Dell.

I'm not sure how I would feel about that.
  • Reply 165 of 177
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

But if you fly under the radar then you won't be seen. Thast's not good.

Steve Jobs Fly under the radar!

When you host a special event just to introduce a phone, you are doing anything but flying under the radar.
  • Reply 166 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Steve Jobs Fly under the radar!

When you host a special event just to introduce a phone, you are doing anything but flying under the radar.

Other than my poor spelling, my meaning was not about events like this.

What I mean is this:

Almost 200 million PC's sold worldwide this year. About 4.5 million Mac's sold worldwide this year.

If a software company sells their program to 1% of new PC buyers that's 2 million copies. If it's sold for $50, that's $100 million.

If they sell to 1% of Mac buyers that's 45 thousand copies. If it sells for $50, that's $2,250,000.

Since it costs about as much to develop for either platform separately for best feature set and performance, and almost as much to advertise to each, what do you think most companies will do?

Mac development costs and advertising could easily exceed the total gross from Mac sales. Even if it doesn't it will wipe out any profit, at least!

So to cut costs they develop on Windows, cut features, eliminate the manual, charge more, come out late, etc.

Then we complain about all of that and don't buy it.

Many companies simply don't bother. Apple is under their radar.
  • Reply 167 of 177
    What about these?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112051

Quote:

• Reply 168 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by steppenwolf

What about these?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112051

Sure, I see reviews of their cases all the time. Copies of G5 cases. One case looks almost EXACTLY like a G5.

But look at those prices! When they get reviewed on Anand and other sites the readers choke. Almost all they do is talk about the $39.95 case they got WITH power supply.

So $225 for a decent (by Mac standards) aluminum case, and $300 for a good power supply.

How they test:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20050711/index.html

Shocking results:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/index.html

Almost no self respecting PC hacker will buy any of these. They will only buy the $9.95 - $29.95 specials, because if they cost more, they're a "rip-off".

That's why we can't win an argument about prices.
  • Reply 169 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I hope this finally means ATI will continue to produce graphics cards of the "one card fits all" variety.

With Macintels coming out, I'd be very pissed off if ATI made the PC cards and Mac cards seperate product.

And if this finally means one card fits all, then we'll see Mac prices shoot down.

PS...I think it's too late for IBM and Freescale to kiss and make up. No matter who was at fault, Apple or IBM or Freescale, during the last 6 years is irrelevant. Apple is making the switch and won't be switching back for at least a few years.

And now that the AIM (AIF?) alliance is completely broken, I don't think IBM or Freescale have any real incentive to keep improving the PPC. And if they do, hardly anybody will care because all the desktop OS platforms will be running on x86.

apple will NEVER go back to powerpc ever. it's just not going to happen, the only place they would possibly go would be to AMD, which is also unlikely.

although i'd much rather Apple use AMD chips - especially in the Xserves, which would be great with a couple of the new Opterons.
  • Reply 170 of 177
    edit: hmmm... nevermind. brain melted trying to convert the US dollars to compare with the local pc cases being sold here in Malaysistan. i totally agree though with the comments about el cheapo pc cases and corresponding el cheapo power supplies
  • Reply 171 of 177
    Quote:

edit: hmmm... nevermind. brain melted trying to convert the US dollars to compare with the local pc cases being sold here in Malaysistan. i totally agree though with the comments about el cheapo pc cases and corresponding el cheapo power supplies

Why don't you use the converter widget?
  • Reply 172 of 177
    Originally posted by melgross

because i am on a pc right now

it's more the economics of it. i can use a calculator (1 us dollar = 3.78 ringgit malaysia or so).

stuff made in taiwan and china though, if sold for say us $20 will be sold here for about (20x3.2) (slightly less than direct conversion). the thing that confuses me is the power supplies for pcs actually.

you can get all sorts of claims of "tru power" and "mega power" and something "true 400w" can be the equivalent of $20 USD all the way up to $60 USD.

and there are very few cases i can buy without the power supply.... (i bought a power supply for about equivalent of $55 USD in august).
  • Reply 173 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

because i am on a pc right now

it's more the economics of it. i can use a calculator (1 us dollar = 3.78 ringgit malaysia or so).

stuff made in taiwan and china though, if sold for say us $20 will be sold here for about (20x3.2) (slightly less than direct conversion). the thing that confuses me is the power supplies for pcs actually.

you can get all sorts of claims of "tru power" and "mega power" and something "true 400w" can be the equivalent of $20 USD all the way up to $60 USD.

and there are very few cases i can buy without the power supply.... (i bought a power supply for about equivalent of $55 USD in august).

If you go to:

http://www.extremetech.com/default/0,3971,,00.asp

You will find that they do tests of power supplies. Tom's Hardware does them as well. The cheap ones are dangerous. They don't meet the UL or CSA standards, even though some of them commit fraud by putting stickers from those organizations on the case anyway. I don't know about the DIN standars though. But those are less safty concerned than they are about form factors.
  • Reply 174 of 177
    (final blatant cross-post, i swear...)

remember they can't call it iBook g4, g5 or g6. they have to call it... iBook CORE ... here's a slice off iSteve's presentation. by me.

• Reply 175 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by akhomerun

apple will NEVER go back to powerpc ever. it's just not going to happen, the only place they would possibly go would be to AMD, which is also unlikely.

although i'd much rather Apple use AMD chips - especially in the Xserves, which would be great with a couple of the new Opterons.

Never say never.

I think 99.9999% of people here would have said that Apple would never use x86 in their computers.

If Intel and AMD start producing PPC chips, Apple would have no choice but to follow...and they'd have zero problems switching back.
  • Reply 176 of 177
    WTF? "intel and amd start producing PPC chips"... no way in the next 3-5 years. no frackin way.
  • Reply 177 of 177
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seems like you have the same problem in your country that we have hear. Even pricing for good quality hardware is all over the place. I have some hope that advertised parameter are a bit more honest here but that is only a slim hope.

As someone else mentioned it does pay to check the hardware sites for straight scoop. That UL or CSA approval sticker can be very helpfull as someone already pointed out. I'm not even sure if that is considered outside North America. The thing is the UL stickers only indicate that the supply meets certain safety standards, it doesn't imply high quality. Even so it is a check mark item that every supply should have.

In the end one ends up having to rely on outside testing to and a bit of long term experience to get a grip on what is a good product in the market.

Dave

Quote:

>>>>>snip