5G iPod lighting and format question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay, so just got first iPod and this being my first experience with iPods, I figured the buttons in the click wheel would be lit up somehow? I have the black one, and It's tough to see them at night, and I've seen pictures of older ones with lit up buttons. Am I crazy? Also, when I first plugged in to charge it, it was on a PC not my apple, so now the information window in the menus say it's formatted for windows. Does that change anything? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The buttons were only lighted on the 3rd generation iPods (with the scroll wheel, center button and for buttons in a row above the wheel). I think Apple dropped lighted buttons because, frankly, after using the iPod for only a little while, you can use it in pitch black when you find the wheel or center button.

I think all iPods are now formatted for Windows from the start. Since they can't boot a Mac now anyway (due to lack of firewire), it'll make no difference to your Mac. It remains cross platform being formatted for Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    True. My nano said the same thing. When I firewired it to my iBook though, the Windows format went away. Nothing to freak out about. iPods are built to be adaptable. It can go from a PC to a Mac in the same day. Aren't they spiffy?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Thanks for the responses. I figured out the format part I think. I was worried because it was taking literally a minute or more to show up on my apple desktop, and now once reformatted, shows up right away on desktop/in iTunes. I did more digging after I posted the message. I think it just talks better when the iPod thinks it's first connection with a computer it with an apple. And that must have been the picture I saw, that particular generation of iPod with the lit up buttons. Which even if I learn them, would still be cool to have, like the powerbooks keyboard.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Backlighted buttons on an iPod would be cool, but unnecessary and a battery sucker.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Wait, can you put songs on your 5G from a windows computer and then plug it into a mac and switch out your songs on your iPod without having to reformat it to mac?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yes. Mac OS X can read and write FAT32.