startup in disk mode

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm in Brazil with my dad who's powerbook is not starting up. We want to try running Disk Utility on it but we don't have the OS X install disk to start up with. We wanted to startup in Target Disk mode but we don't have a firewire cable.

So the question is, how can I perform a repair on his computer with my iBook's Disk utility when all we have is an ethernet cable and USB cable to connect the computers?

Or any other advice to help figure out why his powerbook isn't starting up would be appreciated too. It goes to the apple on startup and then it stops and goes black. He also said that when he holds the power button to restart, it goes, "boooooooop", and then restarts and then does it all over again.

We both have 10.4.3

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If it isn't starting up, there isn't anything you can do to it anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If it isn't starting up, there isn't anything you can do to it anyway.

Ola, Lundy

It seems your saying the problem is the system on the hard disk is not starting up. Sorry but you will need TechTool or another bootable repair disk. If it's really bad then you will need system disks to reinstall the system. A program called Data Rescue X could recover your files to another disk before you reformat your hard disk.

Pesaroso para seus problemas. Tchau.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Ola, Lundy

It seems your saying the problem is the system on the hard disk is not starting up. Sorry but you will need TechTool or another bootable repair disk. If it's really bad then you will need system disks to reinstall the system. A program called Data Rescue X could recover your files to another disk before you reformat your hard disk.

Pesaroso para seus problemas. Tchau.

I'm finding that out

we have those tools at home, but home is several thousand miles away. We bought a fire wire cable, and.... it didn't work.

such is life.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Try holding down command-option-O-F after pressing the power button. If you get a prompt, type

reset-nvram

reset-all

as two commands followed each by return.

If that fails, try holding down command-S after hitting the power switch. If you get a prompt, type

mount -uw /

fsck

restart
  • Reply 5 of 7
    WOOOT!!!!

I'm gonna save your message to my disk so I can reference this in the future!

It worked!!!

Thank you!

The fsck check and repair command did the trick. Resetting the NVRam didn't seem to do anything

Again, thank you very much!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

WOOOT!!!!

I'm gonna save your message to my disk so I can reference this in the future!

It worked!!!

Thank you!

The fsck check and repair command did the trick. Resetting the NVRam didn't seem to do anything

Again, thank you very much!

This is just cool as hell. I have no idea why that worked.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Ha ha ha, that's odd.