Why is Safari such a PIG?!?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Goddam if there is something that I absolutely hate about using a Mac is how [self-censored] CPU-intensive a lot of Mac OS X Apps are! A 700 Mhz G3 with 640 MB of RAM should be able to run 3 browser tabs at the same time without consuming 50% CPU! Activity Monitor shouldn't be consuming 10% CPU when its window is open! Whatever the [self-censored] WindowServer is shouldn't be consuming 10% CPU for no apparent reason! iTunes shouldn't be consuming 15% CPU playing a goddam MP3 file!!! Arrrrgggggghhhh!!!!

I've been holding off from purchasing a replacement iBook until Jan9th. Those Intel CPUs better work magic on this goddam pig of an OS that is OS X!!!

[EDIT: apologies for the excessively foul language previously found in the posting, and still present in the title (which i can't dit)... I posted in a fit of rage]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I hate to break it to you, but your laptop is simply old. Incidentally, I have a 700 MHz iBook as well, but unlike you, I accept the fact that I cannot expect it to perform fast.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    I am sorry but that is a completely bogus argument. It might be underpowered by PC standards, but not by any means by Mac standards, since toda's iBooks are still at a paltry 1.4 Ghz (G4 admittedly, but so what).

Moreover I remember browsing on my even older Pentium II 266 Mhz being faster and far less CPU intensive. Likewise for pretty much all other activities described in the earlier posting.

It is just simply not acceptable that an mp3 player or a browser eat up so much CPU, since these are - and have been for many many years now - the bread and butter activities of a low-end computer.

Again, Mac OS X and its apps are huge PIGS plain and simple, 4 years later, despite my best hopes to the contrary.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I hate to break it to you, but your laptop is simply old. Incidentally, I have a 700 MHz iBook as well, but unlike you, I accept the fact that I cannot expect it to perform fast.

• Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

Moreover I remember browsing on my even older Pentium II 266 Mhz being faster and far less CPU intensive. Likewise for pretty much all other activities described in the earlier posting.

"I am sorry but that is a completely bogus argument."

I'm sure your Pentium II 266 MHz was "faster and far less CPU intensive" doing everything that OS X does. Providing spell checking in your text field. Playing music in the background without skips. Drawing the entire GUI with DisplayPDF and rendering it with OpenGL. Rendering icons at 128x128 pixels. The list goes on.

Quote:

Again, Mac OS X and its apps are huge PIGS plain and simple, 4 years later, despite my best hopes to the contrary.

I invite you to go back to your Pentium II with 266 MHz and, like, Windows 98? and try to do half the things you can do with Mac OS X. Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Windows 2000 actually. Worked great. As for all the fancy things that OS X is doing, sure you have a point. But why should that come at the expense of actual user productivity? How can you or anybody accept that or be content with that as a daily user of the system? Also remember that when I bought my iBook it was pretty much top of the iBook line at the time (about 3 years ago). And my usage of it really hasn't changed much: same basic apps: mail, browser, calendar, mp3 music, instant messaging, etc. Plus I've been keeping up with the OS upgrades (except for Tiger) to take advantage of the promised performance improvements.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

"I am sorry but that is a completely bogus argument."

I'm sure your Pentium II 266 MHz was "faster and far less CPU intensive" doing everything that OS X does. Providing spell checking in your text field. Playing music in the background without skips. Drawing the entire GUI with DisplayPDF and rendering it with OpenGL. Rendering icons at 128x128 pixels. The list goes on.

I invite you to go back to your Pentium II with 266 MHz and, like, Windows 98? and try to do half the things you can do with Mac OS X. Good luck.

• Reply 5 of 16
    Sorry you're so upset. I have a G4 iBook at 1.33 GHz, and it runs my apps just fine.

Are you using Tiger on that G3? Tiger does have some demanding apps, along with those Tiger Core graphics, so they could just be too much for the G3. My G4 came with Tiger running in it. That, and I just have a habit of running one app at a time.. sometimes three, but I don't have problems. EDIT: Just read you don't have Tiger. My bad.

If Safari eats so much CPU, why not use IE, since G3s can run it? Would that take a load off? Just a suggestion.

Chucker's heart's in the right place. G3s are nice machines, but like all machines, they eventually show their age. Try to run a less intensive OS X version on it, like Jaguar or Panther. It might make it run smoother. Hope that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Thanks for such a gentle reply Mac Doll ... I certainly didn't deserve one with the rather mean-sounding tone of my original posting.

I am actually running Panther. IE is not an option: my bookmarks are in Safari and IE is way obsolete at this point. I tried all sorts of other browsers: Firefox, Camino, etc. Browsing on thje Mac just doesn't cut it.. I blame it in big part on the horrible state of un-optimization of the Macromedia Flash plugin, used to display all those nasty ads all over the web nowadays.

I have used an iBook G4 like yours quite extensively at work, and it certainly feels a lot faster, but CPU usage on those is still not negligible at all, and I certainly haven't tried it under the kind of multitasking load I usually put my iBook under. While the apps I use are pretty basic, I tend to have many running at the same time, and that is the main reason I hate the fact that my CPU is being squandered on stupid things like displaying an ad on a web page I am not even looking at at the moment.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

Sorry you're so upset. I have a G4 iBook at 1.33 GHz, and it runs my apps just fine.

Are you using Tiger on that G3? Tiger does have some demanding apps, along with those Tiger Core graphics, so they could just be too much for the G3. My G4 came with Tiger running in it. That, and I just have a habit of running one app at a time.. sometimes three, but I don't have problems.

If Safari eats so much CPU, why not use IE, since G3s can run it? Would that take a load off? Just a suggestion.

Chucker's heart's in the right place. G3s are nice machines, but like all machines, they eventually show their age. Try to run a less intensive OS X version on it, like Jaguar or Panther. It might make it run smoother. Hope that helps.

• Reply 7 of 16
    Use Firefox + Adblock to block all those Flash animations and other crap that people display on their websites.

You'll see a huge improvement on speed.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    No problem, cygsid. I'm not the mean-spirited type. I'm just trying to figure out how to rescue your baby. If it's still running, it's still relevant, dammit.

So Panther's demanding too? Hmmm...maybe Jaguar then?

Perhaps if you disabled or uninstalled Macromedia Flash, you could eliminate those intensive ads and graphics? It's a thought.

They're might be other things running while your Mac's on that aren't visible? I check my Activity Monitor, and that does happen sometimes.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

Windows 2000 actually. Worked great.

Sorry, man, but if you're telling me that Windows 2000 ran faster on your PII/266 than Mac OS X does on your G3/700, something seems wrong with your iBook.

I should note that 1) I ran my iBook (also a G3/700) with Panther for a very long time and 2) I administrated over 90 Windows 2000- and XP-based machines for almost four years. Most of the 2000 ones ran on Pentium IIIs, certainly much faster than yours, yet they were definitely noticeably slower in most tasks than my iBook.

Quote:

As for all the fancy things that OS X is doing, sure you have a point. But why should that come at the expense of actual user productivity? How can you or anybody accept that or be content with that as a daily user of the system?

It's the unfortunate reality: new features require new machines. Your iBook still came installed with Mac OS 9 on the side, as well as Mac OS X 10.1. It didn't come with Jaguar, let alone Panther. In fact, it came before Quartz Extreme existed, and it still supports it and is accelerated by it. As sad as it is, you can actually be grateful for Apple that they let Tiger run on it (albeit with limited CoreImage/CoreVideo, no Quartz 2D Extreme and many applications not running for requiring AltiVec or something else).

Quote:

Also remember that when I bought my iBook it was pretty much top of the iBook line at the time (about 3 years ago).

Yes. 3 years ago. And iBooks were never "top of the line"; they're a consumer laptop. PowerBooks are "top of the line", although they're currently severely crippled because Freescale isn't offering newer CPUs to Apple (in significant shipments).

Quote:

And my usage of it really hasn't changed much: same basic apps: mail, browser, calendar, mp3 music, instant messaging, etc. Plus I've been keeping up with the OS upgrades (except for Tiger) to take advantage of the promised performance improvements.

Try a clean install?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    A young indian boy once asked his father "Dad, how do you choose our names?" And the father answered "well, son, I glance into sky and see Soaring Eagle. I peek in forest and see Fighting Bear. I look at field and see Running Fox...but why do you ask, Fucking Pig?"
  • Reply 11 of 16
    About taking too many CPU cycles playing music. I think it is because OS X does the decoding using the CPU and does not send the processing to the soundcard DSP. I could be wrong though. It was certainly true with older machines, not sure if newer ones still do that...

It's just like how Windows GDI does the drawing of screen elements using the CPU, but Tiger sends the job to the GPU instead. To be fair, earlier versions of OS X did the drawing with the CPU too. This is one reason why OS X seems to run faster with each new version - the CPU is doing less and is delagating the job elsewhere.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Bah, you are complaining too much. I got shafted with the 600mhz ibook, the one that can't do quartz extreme because of the 8mb graphics card

That being said... I have previously installed Linux on my ibook and ran with that for a few months, this was because I didn't buy Jaguar and I was waiting for Panther.

Panther blew my socks off.

I don't know about Tiger on an ibook, I imagine spotlight and dashboard would slow it down.

Panther is a great OS, it breathed life into my aged ibook and I think performance wise it beats Linux. But... try it for yourself, put Linux on there with a stripped down window manager like fluxbox or xfce and play with that for a while. It might be what you are looking for, otherwise... Panther's as good as it gets

Also... I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, I have six tabs open in safari as standard with plenty of other apps open in the background, and it's definatley usable, are you sure safari is not getting hung up on some javascripts or something ?

• Reply 13 of 16
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I run tiger on my 600mhz iBook, 384mb of ram.

I dont expect too much of it, but it is passable for web browsing and email.

The reality is that todays websites demand much more sophisticated browsers, and present much more data to them. They consume huge amounts of memory and cpu. Im sure that if you tried to browse todays internet on a 266 you would find it to be a touch slow. You can take steps to improve your experience, you have already noted that flash is slow, unplug it. Turn off images. Disable style sheets ( http://www.andybudd.com/bookmarklets/ 'toggle css' ).

I have no problem opening a heap of tabs in safari, as long as the content is simple. Each tab uses a few megs on top of Safari's base 165 ( or so ).

MP3 decoding can reasonably be expected to take 150mhz, so to have itunes using 15% of a 700 is on target ( yes, you can squeeze sound out of winamp on slower machines by using the low quality, mono, integer decoder ).

Finally, screen composition takes time and memory, keep applications closed, or hidden, and make windows as large as possible to make the composition as simple as possible ( thats the 10% you see for the window server ).
  • Reply 14 of 16

Because it`s an Apple thing and they are (a fact not just an opinion) a bunch of self - profit - serving FUCKING PIGS

• Reply 15 of 16

Yes, A comment said in absolute rage, FUCKING BASTARD ARSEWHOLES after spending a whole weekend fighting to get in my new I Pad Air WITH NO HELP FRIOM APPLE WHEN I PHONED AND E_MAILED THEM , FUCKING PIGS, it failed to recognize my newly created Apple ID, My chosen security questions that i answered 100% correctly were not recognized. I constantly entered everything correct with help from an Apple I Pad user and owner of every updated I Pad made, inc` the Air.  I am told there must be a bug in it. I have to drive 149 miles to returnit. Why the FUCKING HELL should i have to because Apple KNEW about this PROBLEM i believe as do a whole community of CRAP AIR users!!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Reply 16 of 16

****  APPLE,  **** `EM TO HELL