Apple issues AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Tuesday evening released firmware updates for both its AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme wireless networking products.

AirPort Express Firmware Updater 6.3 and AirPort Extreme Firmware Update 5.7 address "reliability and resolve issues with AirTunes, AirPort compatibility, and issues with some third party Routers."

Specifically, the 2.5MB updates resolves issue with: Audio dropout when playing to AirPort Express with AirTunes; Wireless Disabled mode for AirPort Express; AirPort Extreme LAN Performance; enabling AOL Parental Controls; vulnerability to Denial of Service Attacks (bonk) and; wireless internet access through AirPort via some PPPoA DSL Routers.

AirPort Express Firmware Updater 6.3 and AirPort Extreme Firmware Update 5.7 also improve reliability when printing through AirPort base stations and include enhanced support for RADIUS and Network Time (NTP) servers.

Earlier today Apple released Bluetooth Firmware Update 1.2, which improves Bluetooth performance and reliability issues D-Link USB Adapters, 12" and 15" PowerBooks, Mac mini, iMac G4 and iMac G5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    None of these so-called updates show up in SoftWare Update on either of my OS 10.3.4 Macs, including my 12" G4 Powerbook.

So, are these really updates or just repostings of past firmware files?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

None of these so-called updates show up in SoftWare Update on either of my OS 10.3.4 Macs, including my 12" G4 Powerbook.

So, are these really updates or just repostings of past firmware files?

Apple seems to roll out updates onto Software Update gradually. This is either technical in nature (bandwidth) or because they've been burned by buggy updates in the past.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Be careful with this!

I updated my Airport Extreme two days ago and it imediatey went on the blink - could not connect to the internet with my ADSL LAN modem anymore. I had to go back to Firmware 5.5.1 to resolve my problems.

Matt.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Installed the airport express update. Stress testing it right now with a torrent. It seems to be steadier to me.

Normally, the Airport Express "degrades" until I have to reboot it.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Hi

For those running 10.3 you need a minimum of 10.3.9 for the update to work

For 10.4 you need a minimum of 10.4.3 for the update to work.

I have an airport express with the now 6.3 firmware and most if not all the problems I was having have disappeared with the update.

Rob
  • Reply 6 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The bluetooth update showed up on my iBook and installed ok.

The rest of the updates have not shown their face on my iBook and iMac G5.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Very odd - the BT update showed up on my G5 dooolie which isn't listed for that update, but said G5 is the admin of my AirPort Express and it contains an AirPort Extreme card, and that update does NOT show... I'll wait till it shows, or I hear some good feedback.

Z
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Hope this resolves my very spotty Airtunes/Airport Express issues. I can hardly listen to an hour of music without a dropout...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    great - so when will airport express have video capabilities?!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I bought an Airport Express 2 weeks ago...it had the ancient firmware out of the box and I had nothing but problems having the computer recognize it unless both the modem and base station were reset nearly simultaneously. Of course, the connection (and AirTunes) would cut short every few hours.

Updated the firmware 2 days later when I realized it was probably just a problem firmware updates could fix. The connection was much more stable but still cut out every now and then (as well as AirTunes)...much better then before though.

And then 'lo and behold, Apple brings out this even newer firmware update which resolved everything so far. AirTunes has been streaming all night last night and all day today without a hiccup. I'll keep you guys posted if some problems occur.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Finally the bluetooth update for the "new" bluetooth remote coming out "soon"

;-)

Wireless for the mac mini "media center"
  • Reply 12 of 16
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Anyone tried it with a PSP?

My PSP couldn't hook up to the Base Station using WPA with firmware v5.6 so I had to downgrade it to v5.5.

Am interested to see if this was one of the "3rd party" issues fixed.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

Anyone tried it with a PSP?

My PSP couldn't hook up to the Base Station using WPA with firmware v5.6 so I had to downgrade it to v5.5.

Am interested to see if this was one of the "3rd party" issues fixed.

I have no problems connecting via WEP to my AirPort Express with my PSP, and I'm using previous firmware.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Hardmac is saying that it got universal binaries. Released a week before Jan 10th. Nice hint.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

I have no problems connecting via WEP to my AirPort Express with my PSP, and I'm using previous firmware.

He said WPA not WEP.

I'm still using WEP here since my belkin router and access point cannot bridge with WPA even though both support it. I hope Belkin comes out with a firmware update for this... The firmware is already 2 years old now...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pancho Urbano

great - so when will airport express have video capabilities?!

I've been satisfied using AirPort Express + Elgato's EyeHome for MPEG-2 video streaming. You can buy a refurb. EyeHome online for $99USD from Elgato's site but if I were considering to get one I'd hold off until Macworld for possible Apple and/or Elgato product announcements.