How do you "open" or run an Alias that mounts a network volume?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have created a alias that automatically mounts a shared folder on a windows pc at work to my mini at work.

That way I don't have to go looking for the stupid thing everyday.

I then created a workflow through Automator that grabs a file from that shared folder and emails it to me every day at 5 pm. This is really nice except for one problem.

If the volume gets disconnected (due to power outages, etc.), how in the world can I make Automator "run" the alias I have created on my desktop?

I was thinking I could possibly do this from the command line but I am not very good with the command line. Does anyone have anythoughts on this?

Automator does accept command line instructions.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have created a alias that automatically mounts a shared folder on a windows pc at work to my mini at work.

OK, you've created an alias. An alias of what?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

A shortcut on my desktop that mounts a shared folder on a windows pc at work. It automatically logs me in.

At the command line, when I am in the desktop folder (where the alias resides), if I type open "XXXXX alias" it says it is not an app. How do I execute the alias?

I'm stumped...

mini-1s-mac-mini:~/Desktop dude$ open "TANK FILES alias"

2006-01-05 08:59:22.394 open[1208] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -43 for application (null) urls file://localhost/Users/dude/Desktop/TANK%20FILES%20alias.

mini-1s-mac-mini:~/Desktop dude$

However, if I run the same command - open "TANK FILES alias" while the folder is mounted in the Finder, it opens the folder in the finder for me. So there must be a setting to iniate the alias before it is mounted from the command line. I just need to figure out how and that is where knowledgeable dudes on here come to the rescue. hint hint

• Reply 3 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Helloooooooooooooo ooooooo oooo

J/K

Where are all the command gooroo's? Am I even posting this is the correct forum?

I am still stumped and I have looked all over the net and in my Unix for Mac OS X Tiger book...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Try posting your question in the Genius bar (a sortof tech-support forum here on AI).

Good luck!