who manufactures the TiPB LCD?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't want to tear my TiPB apart to find out who manufactures the 15.2-inch ultra-wide LCD.

Does anyone know who supplies the panel?

Thanks,

atgnat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by allthegoodnamesaretaken:

<strong>I don't want to tear my TiPB apart to find out who manufactures the 15.2-inch ultra-wide LCD.

Does anyone know who supplies the panel?

Thanks,

atgnat</strong><hr></blockquote>

samsung
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Samsung makes all of Apple's LCDs (or used to).
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I believe it's yo mama

I mean Samsung.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Samsung makes all of Apple's LCDs (or used to).</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're correct by saying used to. The monitors for the new iMacs come from two sources and neither of them is Samsung.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

You're correct by saying used to. The monitors for the new iMacs come from two sources and neither of them is Samsung.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's not true. samsung was the original supplier. they have since added 2 more additional suppliers do to limited supply and too much demand
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

that's not true. samsung was the original supplier. they have since added 2 more additional suppliers do to limited supply and too much demand</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not true. The iMac TFTs are produced by LG.Philips and HannStar Display.

LG.Philips was the original supplier and HannStar Display announced two weeks ago that they have been chosen as the second supplier - starting in May.

This is from MacNN:

"HannStar joins LG.Philips as the sole vendors of LCD panels for Apple's iMac, according to DigiTimes."

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: JLL ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Samsung makes all of Apple's LCDs (or used to).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cinema Display (both regular and HD varieties) have always been made by Philips.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bozo the Clown:

<strong>

Cinema Display (both regular and HD varieties) have always been made by Philips.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? I could've sworn all their LCDs were made by Samsung, but thanks for clearing that up.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I always thought they were made by SamSung as well. This is surprising since Samsung's reviews are always better than Philip's.

Whenever I'd check out Apple's displays in stores I can't help but notice how much nicer the 17" one is versus the 15" one. Not the size, but the overall quality of the picture (color, brightness, viewing angles). So, do different manufacturers make different sizes for apple? In other words, Dell uses Samsung for their 17" displays and Philips for their 15" displays. The 17" display is far superior to the 15" one. I was wondering if this is the same for Apple.

Also, does anyone know who makes Sony's new 16.3" display for the new VAIO Notebook? I still can't believe that there is a notebook out there with a 16.3" display!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Samsung and L.G. Philips are in partnership. The technology of the LCDs that Samsung makes comes from the latter. The company name in Taiwan was changed many months ago I believe. The new supplier will be making the 15" LCDs for the iMac only for the time being. They will be delivered in May.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    If anyone wants to know, (I was told that) the Samsung part number for the 15.2 ultrawide display used on the Titanium Powerbook is:

LTN152W1-L01

• Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by allthegoodnamesaretaken:

<strong>I don't want to tear my TiPB apart to find out who manufactures the 15.2-inch ultra-wide LCD. </strong><hr></blockquote>Looks like you will have to. Please let us know . . .

- T.I.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Does anyone know who makes the 12" display for the iBook, or who made the 14" display for the 1998 PowerBook G3 (the active matrix one)?