Intel rolls out Viiv technology, dual-core laptop processors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) on Thursday unveiled two platforms and several content alliances that provide the foundation for new experiences from digital entertainment and wireless laptops -- and include the new high-performance, low-power Intel Core Duo processor.

Noting the transformation now underway in digital entertainment, company president and CEO Paul Otellini introduced the company?s new home platform -- Intel Viiv technology -- and several commitments from top U.S. and international entertainment companies including AOL, DIRECTV, NBC Universal, Turner Broadcasting?s GameTap, ESPN, Televisa and Eros.

Intel Viiv technology-based entertainment PCs will help make it easier for families to download, store, view, manage and share all kinds of digital entertainment and information on a choice of TV, PC, laptop and hand-held viewing screens, the company said.

Intel announced a new Centrino Duo mobile technology that will improve performance and battery life for the wireless laptop market segment. The company also introduced its Core Duo processor, a powerful dual core silicon supporting the Intel Centrino Duo and certain Intel Viiv technology models. The processor is equipped to deliver performance-per-watt efficiency, which will allow for new, sleek designs for entertainment PCs, notebooks and CE-like devices.

?With our new platforms, we?re not only boosting wireless computing, but also advancing digital entertainment a few steps closer to effortless," said Otellini. ?Just as we enabled exciting new norms with wireless broadband laptops, we?re working with computer, CE and entertainment companies to make home entertainment easier. Our unique processors, tailored platform features and joint work with these industries exemplify our push to advance on-demand delivery of movies, TV, music, games and photos to any home on virtually any screen."

New Intel Home and Mobile Platforms

Intel Viiv (pronounced like "Intel Vee-Ive") technology includes a suite of Intel-based hardware and software that, along with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, that the company says will pave the way for new entertainment experiences. Based on a choice of Intel Pentium D, Pentium Processor Extreme Edition and Intel Core Duo processors, the new PCs will be able to reflect a variety of features, prices and stylish designs - including "all-in-one" hybrid TVs and book-sized PCs.

As part of the Viiv launch, ClickStar announced its first feature film, "10 Items or Less," will host an Internet premiere within weeks of its theatrical release, an industry first. These and other developments will bring millions of songs, movies, programs and games to the PC in 2006, Intel said.

PCs based on the platform will have a variety of entertainment options including support for both a minimum of 5.1 or higher surround sound and high-definition video. Systems may also instantly turn on and off with the touch of a button and could be used with TV-like remote controls when included with the system or purchased separately. Intel Viiv technology platforms will include the new Intel 945/955/975 Express Chipset family and Intel PRO/1000 PM or Intel PRO/100 VE/VM network connection.

Later this year, Intel said the platform will add features that will simplify the set-up of a home network and the ability to transfer digital content from the PC to other devices.

During his presentation at CES, Otellini pointed out a number of features that can make Centrino Duo mobile technology the "ultimate on-the-go entertainment system." In addition to performance, battery life and wireless connectivity options, Otellini said systems will be available in a variety of sizes from thin and light laptops to more powerful ones with 17-inch plus widescreens -- and surround sound, enhanced graphics and high-definition TV support depending on the model.

Intel plans to introduce more than 20 new processors, chipsets and other products this month. The company says that more than 200 PC makers plan to "sell hundreds of unique PC and laptop models using these new products and platforms."

Intel also introduced the Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset family and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection also are new.

Goal: Infinite Hours of Digital Programming Available Worldwide

As part of its goal to make digital programming available through Intel Viiv technology and PCs, Intel announced several new worldwide entertainment commitments with content partners, including:

AOL -AOL Music On Demand, AOL Radio featuring XM Satellite Radio and AOL Pictures this month; AOL Music Now and AOL Video AOL Video featuring the ?AOL Hi-Q" high-quality video format coming later this year.

ClickStar - The entertainment company will introduce its first film, ?10 Items or Less," via the Internet just weeks after its theatrical release.

DIRECTV - The leading digital TV service provider will make its programming seamlessly available on PCs, laptops and media players through its verified set-top.

ESPN - ESPN.com Motion will feature sports highlights in high definition plus Full Court with 300 collegiate basketball games in full-screen broadcast quality.

Eros - The largest international distributor in the Indian film industry (?Bollywood") plans to make its digital content portal and future digital video services available on-demand.

Grupo Televisa - The largest media company in the Spanish-speaking world will provide a wide choice of popular soap operas, sporting events, news and music.

MTV Networks - MTV said it will optimize a number of its channels for Intel Viiv technology ranging from Comedy Central?s ?MotherLoad" to MTV?s ?Overdrive."

NBC Universal - NBC Universal will deliver select highlights in high resolution of all 17 days of the 2006 Winter Olympics to Intel Viiv technology-based PCs, with other joint efforts later.

Shanghai Media Group - China?s top media group will deliver its digital movies, TV dramas, exclusive interactive programming and other live content.

Turner Broadcasting?s GameTap - A first-of-its-kind broadband entertainment network, GameTap will bring hundreds of diverse videos and games to the ?10-foot" TV screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    Interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    Someone put this into perspective with the current Apple rumors.
  • Reply 3 of 108
    WHAT? no Yonah?
  • Reply 4 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

WHAT? no Yonah?

Core Duo is Yonah smart guy.
  • Reply 5 of 108
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

WHAT? no Yonah?

Quote:

include the new high-performance, low-power Intel Core Duo processor

Core Duo is Yonah dual-core.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by lngtones

Core Duo is Yonah smart guy.

thanks oh exalted one
  • Reply 7 of 108
    Is Viiv pronouced "vive" as in "Vive la France" or like "v... I've been onto Steve and he thinks we should drop the name ASAP"?

This "fits" with Apple's speculated path this year because the Core is a decent processor which will make new PowerBooks which are actually fast once more, and this streaming media stuff sounds a lot like the PVR Apple are supposed to be making out of the Mac Mini.

Everyone wants to get in on the video market now. 2006 is the year of the Intel Macs, Blu-Ray vs HDDVD and the iTMS really pushing video that will be somewhat better than the current 320x240 or whatever it is the 5G iPod takes. Think HDTV ... apparently the whole industry is.

Anyway, once Merom / Conroe is out later in the year, the G5 will have to step out of the way as we're due new PowerMacs! "G6" anyone?
  • Reply 8 of 108
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    It's too bad all the new internet media infrastructure being built seems to be passing Apple by. I really hope they don't blow their current lead. Some of the new movie and "copy/stream it everywhere" technology coming out on the "other OS" are starting to get awfully compelling.

If Apple's just keeping their stuff secret to make a splash at MacWorld SF it seems like a rather enormous mistake. (Trade a national, industry-wide stage for talking to a bunch of enthusiasts?)
  • Reply 9 of 108
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I had sort of thought today might be the day I finally understood exactly WHAT "Viiv" is.

But alas, it's still foggy bits and pieces for me. I don't blame Intel for trying, but it just doesn't excite me yet.

I'm thinking Apple may have zero desire to join in with Viiv--but will instead choose only the bits and pieces that are useful to them. Which might be just the processor, but probably won't be ALL of Viiv. (Not even if Viiv supported OS X instead of just Windows.)
  • Reply 10 of 108
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    What I've been hinting at is sort of mentioned in this article but of course without any mention of Apple so that important bit went unnoticed. The devil is in the details, though, and without those, the importance and significance aren't noticed.

As we've seen with MP3 players, anyone can make one but Apple can make it special.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I had sort of thought today might be the day I finally understood exactly WHAT "Viiv" is.

But alas, it's still foggy bits and pieces for me. I don't blame Intel for trying, but it just doesn't excite me yet.

I'm thinking Apple may have zero desire to join in with Viiv--but will instead choose only the bits and pieces that are useful to them. Which might be just the processor, but probably won't be ALL of Viiv. (Not even if Viiv supported OS X instead of just Windows.)

Viiv is pronounced like five. I'll tell you a little secret. With Apple, Viiv will thrive.

It's basically a Yonah (Core Duo) chip with an Intel chipset/mobo that allows for a vendor (any computer company) to easily take advantage of several features. Intel packages it with a bunch of software and it works with Ms' MC OS. Lots of features but a pretty sucky solution.

The basic features Intel outlines are Internet access for a movie and/or game download services, DVR option (if tuner is supplied, an OEM choice), HDTV functionality, 7.1 surround sound, high end graphics, all remote controllable. It's up to the OEM what options are offered.

Basically, it's a home multimedia architecture rather than a business one.
  • Reply 12 of 108
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

I'll tell you a little secret. With Apple, Viiv will thrive.

I'm not sure where you're coming from. Viiv is designed to work with Windows Media Center PCs. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 108
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

If Apple's just keeping their stuff secret to make a splash at MacWorld SF it seems like a rather enormous mistake. (Trade a national, industry-wide stage for talking to a bunch of enthusiasts?)

I don't think it is necessarily a mistake to present new products at the Macworld Keynote. I wasn't a Mac owner last MW and even then, it seemed to me that the Mac mini and iPod shuffle introduced at MWSF '04 got more media and Internet attention, and in the end, more consumer attention than all of CES. I like gadgets but I can't remember what was introduced during CES '04, the best I remember is some high end audio reciever gear I'd probably never buy.

The Stevenote presentations are very often later streamed to the Internet anyways, few to none of the CES presentations seem to be streamed.

I'm curious what practical benefit the media center will derive from dual core chips. For just playback, any currently sold single core chip would seem more than enough for H.264 HD or WMV-HD decoding, even then, new GPUs can handle much of that work. The best I can think is maybe transcoding media for portable devices.

I do like Intel hardware, and have for a few years, but I'm kind of lost with the VIIV concept. It appears to be more a trademark and branding thing than a practical standard. I didn't notice anything special about any of the chips that would suggest that they are necessarily media optimized, at least more so than non-VIIV Intel computers. Maybe I'm not giving credit to the audio standard, other than that, I don't see much. This is in contrast with Centrino, which was at least set of chips that was well optimized for mobile use rather than just seemingly empty branding.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Is it better to be yet another fish in a big pond, or the big fish in a small pond?
  • Reply 15 of 108
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Is it better to be yet another fish in a big pond, or the big fish in a small pond?

Depends on which pond you want to play in.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by dws

I'm not sure where you're coming from. Viiv is designed to work with Windows Media Center PCs. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with Apple.

ROTFLOL!

Oh my goodness. I could say something politically inflamatory but I'll restrain myself.

Hint: Don't believe everything put out there for public consumption. Sometimes there's more truth on a messageboard like this than a press release.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Exactly, how pissed would SJ have been if our new intel overlord said.. "works with XP MC and all the cooler stuff apple has for you from mid next week and in the future"
  • Reply 18 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Exactly, how pissed would SJ have been if our new intel overlord said.. "works with XP MC and all the cooler stuff apple has for you from mid next week and in the future"

• Reply 19 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Right now, Apple is the big fish in the big pond. Even Gates had to mention how much attention was being lavished on their "competitor", in a peeved sort of way, during his speech.

Apple was still the most talked about company on the floor, friends who were there told me.

It's good that both shows are so close together. The hype from this one will be remembered next week.

I just hope that Apple DOES have some major announcements.
  • Reply 20 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

How pissed would Gates, and all of the computer manufacturer CEO's who were there, be?