Here's What Apple's Annual Report Says About Where Products Are Assembled

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
"Final assembly of products sold by the Company is conducted in the Company's manufacturing facilities in Sacramento, California, Cork, Ireland, and Singapore and by external vendors in Taiwan, Korea, Mexico, the People's Republic of China, and the Czech Republic. Currently, many components of the Company's products and final asssembly of all of the Company's portable products including PowerBooks, iBooks, and the iPod is performed by third-party vendors in Taiwan. "

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    And... :confused:

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    So?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>So?</strong><hr></blockquote>

So, I don't know what MacsRGood4U's point was, but it kind of disturbs me that some of Apple's products are built in China. They don't exactly have a beautiful human rights record...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Every once in a while people ask where certain Apple products are manufactured. The point is, here's the answer. OK? OK.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Every once in a while people ask where certain Apple products are manufactured. The point is, here's the answer. OK? OK. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Aaaah I see. So now we post answers in anticipation of questions rather than the other way round? Interesting....

• Reply 6 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

So, I don't know what MacsRGood4U's point was, but it kind of disturbs me that some of Apple's products are built in China. They don't exactly have a beautiful human rights record...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nor does the USA. China also has a lower crime rate and fewer murders a year. If you consider the right to live a human right, perhaps China's human rights record is a bit better than ours?

[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

So, I don't know what MacsRGood4U's point was, but it kind of disturbs me that some of Apple's products are built in China. They don't exactly have a beautiful human rights record...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would be more surprising if Apple didn't have some of their products made in China. I think it'd be rare to find such a company.

• Reply 8 of 23
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Jamie,

From time to time posters have questioned where Apple makes their computers and who makes them. I didnt anticipate anyone as this question comes up a lot. I just quoted the official source since so many people here post incorrect answers. Shame on me I guess.

[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 23
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    The biggest problem with products made in China is quality control. I assume the PowerMacs are assembled in California, the iMacs in Taiwan. I'm guessing perhaps the mice and keyboards are made in China?............................................ ...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>The biggest problem with products made in China is quality control. I assume the PowerMacs are assembled in California, the iMacs in Taiwan. I'm guessing perhaps the mice and keyboards are made in China?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My Pro Keyboard says Made in Malaysia.

• Reply 11 of 23
    Lets look at it this way at least they haven't moved their 'offices' to Bermuda or some country where they could skip paying US taxes and leave the rest of us to pay their portion like some 'US' companies are already doing like Stanley Tools plans to do.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I like that some stuff is still being built in good ole Cork. They used to build all the Powerbooks there (Wallstreet, I think). Where our Macs are built is a concern to me as I'd like to think that my iBook was built in a country that abides by international labor and human rights standards.

Wait, weren't those wiped out by GATT and the WTO?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    3 of my 4 Pro Mice (Mouses) are from Malaysia. The latest one is from China. Some of the components inside look very slightly rearranged.

All of my keyboards were assembled in Malaysia.

And this is not a stab at Cork, but I don't see how quality control of products made by cheap labor in Ireland is better than that of products made by cheap labor in China or the Czech Republic.

I certainly can't remember any reports iMacs made in Mexico were failing more than iMacs made in California.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with macintosh products made in China. The quality controls are obviously to international standards. I see more advantages for having products produced in China for they are quite a bit cheaper. Why are you worried about things made in China? You should do some research about China before you block yourself with feelings against it like quality and human rights. China is economically powerful and has a big influence in the world. I've spoken to the vice pres of Apple China. He says we sould be expecting more ports of mac industries from the province of Taiwan to China. That's good news.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    By the way I believe the displays are assembled in China or at least they will be soon.

We should expect iBooks to be made in China in next few years.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    my pro mouse says made in malaysia the one that came with my cube
  • Reply 17 of 23
    It is to our interest to have the existing factories in Taiwan to be relocated in China. Remember how those G4 chips got delayed? Wouldn't happen in China
  • Reply 18 of 23
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    &gt;There is absolutely nothing wrong with macintosh products made in China. The quality controls are obviously to international standards. I see more advantages for having products produced in China for they are quite a bit cheaper. Why are you worried about things made in China? You should do some research about China before you block yourself with feelings against it like quality and human rights. China is economically powerful and has a big influence in the world. I've spoken to the vice pres of Apple China. He says we sould be expecting more ports of mac industries from the province of Taiwan to China. That's good news.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its mainly the management than the labor that affects the quality control. China just happens to be a place to build things as cheaply as possible. Moving manufacturing from Taiwan to China is NOT a good thing since Taiwan is a stable manufacturing country with a good track record, China is not. Perhaps in a few years, but then of course the labor costs will go up and the greedy bastards will try to find a cheaper place for labor. Thats the way it goes nowadays. Malaysia is the site of a HP plant thats world renowned for quality control. HP just opened up a plant in China to build its less expensive printers. HP's warranties on their malaysian-built printers is one year. The warranty on their China-built printers is 90 days. Time will tell if that means anything....................
  • Reply 19 of 23
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    My iMac Rev. D keyboard and puck mouse were made in china. Nothing's wrong with them. and that HP warranty stuff - it has more to do with making them as cheap as possible than it being manufactured in China. Both the 90 day warranty and the plants in China are EFFECTS of the same CAUSE: to make the product as cheap as possible (ie to compete with Lexmark)
  • Reply 20 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

Its mainly the management than the labor that affects the quality control. China just happens to be a place to build things as cheaply as possible. Moving manufacturing from Taiwan to China is NOT a good thing since Taiwan is a stable manufacturing country with a good track record, China is not. Perhaps in a few years, but then of course the labor costs will go up and the greedy bastards will try to find a cheaper place for labor. Thats the way it goes nowadays. Malaysia is the site of a HP plant thats world renowned for quality control. HP just opened up a plant in China to build its less expensive printers. HP's warranties on their malaysian-built printers is one year. The warranty on their China-built printers is 90 days. Time will tell if that means anything....................<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, compare the top-end printers bottom-end printers. Good idea.

And despite being part of the Commonwealth, Malaysia has an abominable human rights record compared with China. Why don't you search Google for "slave labor" and Malaysia? Heck, slave labor in Malaysia was even part of the Zoolander movie plot.