item labels on the desktop

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
in the desktop view options, you can set your labels to either be on the right of your icon or placed underneath.

I'm someone who likes a VERY clean desktop, and also assign custom icons to folders so I know what they are. In doing so, I largely eliminate my need to see the names of files/folders on the desktop.

Does anyone know of a way to hide these labels from displaying at all? I don't want this to occur system wide, just on the desktop itself...

As it stands now, I simply place spaces in a folder name, but this isn't a great idea for files I have on my desktop or in naming my HD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There is no toggle on-off for the icon name in finder's pref plist. I tried setting the font size to zero and the Finder went into an infinite loop relaunching itself and bombing out trying to draw a zero-point font. I got the same infinite loop when I set it to 4 points. I wound up deleting the preference file to stop the looping.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

As it stands now, I simply place spaces in a folder name, but this isn't a great idea for files I have on my desktop or in naming my HD.

Once i had had the same desire. Though, I hadn't found a

programm to help out, so i put spaces into the name field too.

Since the Finder requires different names for each file/folder

you simply apply a different amount of spaces for each file/folder.

This method is good enough, though not very elegant,

for, let's say, four to five files/folders. More than that

probably will end up in a (spacing) mess.