More video extension in G6 iPods?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know its a long time off (seeing as the G5 just came out) but do you think the future generation of iPods will have greater video acceptance (e.g. .avi, .mpeg etc)? The lack of extension support is the only thing stopping me buying one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The iPod supports MPEG-4 and MPEG-4 H.264, both of which are standards Apple is trying to push hard. I don't think Apple is going to support more unusual codecs. As for AVI, that's not a format; it's merely a container (that's, incidentally, fairly outdated, badly-designed and limited).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chirhochirho Posts: 50member
    fair enough. i just always have difficulties with video extensions so wider compatability would inspire me with more confidence in the iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There's a lot of tools already to convert your video into an iPod-friendly format.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    With Apple supporting the conversion of many media types to an iPod format with QT Pro, I don't think you'll see .avi, .mov, .wmv, etc. supported at any point in the future.

Apple wants you to buy your music and movies from them, so it's always going to be easier to keep things limited to one or two formats.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chirhochirho Posts: 50member
    i'm gonna wait till jan 10th just incase and i can always get a copy of QTP7 to convert what i download.

i think i need to borrow one of my mates new ipods to see if the video is good enough to invest in.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by chirho

i'm gonna wait till jan 10th just incase and i can always get a copy of QTP7 to convert what i download.

i think i need to borrow one of my mates new ipods to see if the video is good enough to invest in.

Trust me the video is great
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I agree. Don't own one myself, but I went to the shop to have a gaze and I was amazed how good it looked. Did a bit of tidying up of the iPod display for them too and set the ipods playing video on a loop

I'd get one if I had the money