Video Capture Device

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anybody know of a good video capture device that can be used to hook a VCR to my iBook so I can turn my old VHS tapes into digital format? I want to use Quicktime Pro to capture it but i need some sort of device to connect the componant video from the vcr to my laptop. I would prefer it be cheap since I'm a poor college student Everything I have found doensn't mention mac compatability and the 1 product that did was $140 (InterView). That one only recorded the video. The sound had what looked like a headphone connector but im pretty sure the iBook G4 headphone connector is only for output... not input.

If you can correct me on any of this or help me find what I'm looking for, it would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

Anybody know of a good video capture device that can be used to hook a VCR to my iBook so I can turn my old VHS tapes into digital format? I want to use Quicktime Pro to capture it but i need some sort of device to connect the componant video from the vcr to my laptop. I would prefer it be cheap since I'm a poor college student Everything I have found doensn't mention mac compatability and the 1 product that did was $140 (InterView). That one only recorded the video. The sound had what looked like a headphone connector but im pretty sure the iBook G4 headphone connector is only for output... not input.

If you can correct me on any of this or help me find what I'm looking for, it would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

I?ve seen these at Fry?s going for 120 bucks they work great.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Looks like that will work great as a last resort thx. Only reason i dont go w/ it right now is because i dont really need the tv viewing capability. Just the componant video/audio in capability. Hopefully i can save some money by going w/out the tv part. thx so much for your help though. If i dont find exactly what i'm looking for that should work just fine.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you have a DV camcorder, you can usually use that. Mine (Sony) came with a component cable. You can set it for input or output. Plug in the firewire cable and you're good to go.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Do you happen to know where I can buy something like that? thx again for ur help