The New Core Duo iMac from Apple

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Inside "Core Duo".

17" and 20" models.

Built in iSight camera w/ Front Row and Apple remote.

"Incredible reception."

"No other desktop PC can match it." 2-3x faster than iMac G5.

Wow, if you just bought an iMac, I really feel for you.

I mean really.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So...we all got it all wrong. Not the iBook. Not the Powerbook. Not the mini.

The iMac. Kind of makes sense. It's their "flagship" consumer Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I spoke too soon! MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Technically not a PB. They still sell the G4's.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the X1600 have hardware h.264 encoding/decoding?
  • Reply 5 of 35
    I just bought a new iMac G5 in November. I would have definately waited if I'd known they were going to Intel-ize the iMac first. It's very dissappointing to hear that your new computer is 2 - 3 times slower two months after you bought it. I didn't think they'd transition the iMac so soon after an update.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by livatlantis

They still sell the G4's.

well, they still have g4s for sale.

but i dont think they will be selling very well after that '4-to-5-times-faster' presentation today...
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the X1600 have hardware h.264 encoding/decoding?

That would be nice. I see on the 2GHz model you can bump the X1600 up to 256MB VRAM.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Yeah, I bought the new G5 iMac in October. I'm pretty upset about this. 2-3 times slower is a lot.... even I know that.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    This is probably a newbie question but I was wondering if someone could help me with this.

If you were to get the new Apple/Intel core Duo Imacs...can you run final cut or avid express on it now...or do you have to wait until they come out with new versions of the final cut and avid express software which will then support the new intel macs???
  • Reply 10 of 35
    yeah im hopping mad got my new imac in december cant believe that its now 2-3 times slower than the intel one just announced
  • Reply 11 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 12voltstuff

yeah im hopping mad got my new imac in december cant believe that its now 2-3 times slower than the intel one just announced

Me too. See my other thread. I am effing furious. I'm going to try and return it to Amazon. If not, I don't know. I am really pissed. I'm not a moron when it comes to upgrade cycles...there is no way this should have happened.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    I think it is shite of Apple to make a good update to the iMac last October and then 3 months later make a massive update like that. They should have waited. They can only have pissed off a lot of people.

People were holding off the G4 Macs 'cos they were expecting them to be updated possibly as early as Jan but who'd have thought the iMac.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Anyone care to speculate about the speed of the iMac Intel vs PowerMac G5s?
  • Reply 14 of 35
    i new they would update the imac, but i got mine last friday and don't feel bad. why you may ask. cause the new imactel will suck until a few months later when the os will be stronger to support. but i pefore the ibm g5 cpu, 2 to 3 times faster not yet, get more memory and the same.

and i agree to jootec from mars

in short i know this, it going to suck for a while, and amd would have been a better.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Okay... yeah, I'm a bit surprised that my "new" iMac that i got in November is suddenly outdated.

But to think rationally for a second...

1. Okay, so the new machine is faster. But for someone like me who mostly uses the computer for word processing, surfing the 'net and occasional light graphics/photo work, how much difference would I really notice? So far, i've been very pleased with my machine, but maybe I notice a huge difference after upgrading from a G3 Lime iMac.

2. How hot are the chips? Do they require a noisy fan?

3. How big a difference does the new graphics card make?

4. Would most of my software (Office X for Mac) run slowly due to Rosetta? What else would run via Rosetta?

5. Who knows what kind of first-generation bugs one will have to suffer with?

6. Do Intel chips mean faster web-browsing? Safari is better than on the G3, but it's still not all that great.

The only thing I'm bummed about is the new iLife. I could really use the new iWeb app, and the Podcasting functionality in GarageBand is something else I'd use. Oh well, I expect that software to be updated frequently anyway.

Should I be upset? For some reason, I'm not overly bothered by this.

GTSC
  • Reply 16 of 35
    2-3 times faster running Intel native (universal binaries) code... definately NOT 2-3 times faster running much (most?) of the software you've got. It'll be a while (months?) before we can really see and enjoy that 2-3 times faster.

Ankly
  • Reply 17 of 35
    true that
  • Reply 18 of 35
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jsnluera

This is probably a newbie question but I was wondering if someone could help me with this.

If you were to get the new Apple/Intel core Duo Imacs...can you run final cut or avid express on it now...or do you have to wait until they come out with new versions of the final cut and avid express software which will then support the new intel macs???

You will need to wait for the new versions.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    I got my iMac in August, so it was even before the iSight model. For me it was my first mac so I am happy with it no matter what, and the added time I had with it was great. Would I like an intel one, sure. But I am not majorly bummed.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I am still bummed. In two years or less, I won't be able to buy PPC software. Just watch. I think I have to return mine to Amazon and take the 20% hit. I don't know. I am really pissed off...that's all I really know.