Rolo - wherefore art the plasmas, Rolo?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm so sad - I really got my hopes up with rumors about the 50" SED with the built in mac mini.

Is this gone forever, or just delayed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    Seriously, where is this convenience store you got the tip so we can check it out?!

Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I'm so sad - I really got my hopes up with rumors about the 50" SED with the built in mac mini.

• Reply 2 of 79
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    He's been conspicuously absent today -- along with his cheerleader, burgermeister.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mullman

Seriously, where is this convenience store you got the tip so we can check it out?!

Temporary Insanity chicken and ribs
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

He's been conspicuously absent today -- along with his cheerleader, burgermeister.

I kinda miss burgermeister and his short skirt and tight revealing outfit.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Hey there, Mac fans! Been sifting through all the new info, watching the keynote, while waiting for the dust to settle. I'll tell you something interesting about that plasma rumor. Word is, it may have been purposely planted by Apple to mislead the rumor mongers. The iPod boombox sort of fell flat so they thought this plasma routine would do the trick. Anyway, that's what I'm hearing with my ear pressed to the third rail.

All sorts of new stuff coming down the tracks like the rest of the MacBook Pros and the MacBooks but no word on when. Since the pro apps won't really be there until March, I'd look for the new 17" MBP around that time. The MacBooks should arrive in time for the education buying season in the spring. The revised Mac minis around that time, too. Hope it has a different form factor, a revised Front Row and Apple Remote, and DVR capability. Just a big, fat hope thoughÑno info to go on.

It has been mentioned in recent years that Apple might engage in misdirection and it looks like that's what happened. There was a clue embedded in the original rumor that I mentioned, the use of the term AppleDesign to describe speakers and remote. That term was pre-Jobs.

Anyway, it was a very interesting and informative discussion of the Viiv platform and of flat panel display technologies. It was also a great market research tool for Apple. I'm sure they read this stuff and delight in all the falderal but they can also learn what sorts of things we're interested in. There's a great opportunity here for it to make a product that eliminates HDTV hell.

I'm really happy with all the new stuff and look forward to all the new things to come. I'll be getting one of those new MacBook Pros soon.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Make sure to create a new account if you want to peddle a new rumor.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

holy fuck i thought i was getting sucked in with the mac rumors but you bit hard and now, the low must feel terrible \

SED 50" with mac mini DVR? fuck man, SED? that's pretty far out, as far as all the rumors went.....

but i feel your pain brotha, i feel your pain. i gotta tell my dad to continue to use his old VCR for now. no one else but apple is really getting the convergence thing right now, and we're all hanging on desperately for them to release the stuff we need..... *sigh*
  • Reply 8 of 79
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Crash and burn, Mav. Crash and burn.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Hey there, Mac fans! Been sifting through all the new info, watching the keynote, while waiting for the dust to settle. I'll tell you something interesting about that plasma rumor. Word is, it may have been purposely planted by Apple to mislead the rumor mongers. The iPod boombox sort of fell flat so they thought this plasma routine would do the trick. Anyway, that's what I'm hearing with my ear pressed to the third rail.

All sorts of new stuff coming down the tracks like the rest of the MacBook Pros and the MacBooks but no word on when. Since the pro apps won't really be there until March, I'd look for the new 17" MBP around that time. The MacBooks should arrive in time for the education buying season in the spring. The revised Mac minis around that time, too. Hope it has a different form factor, a revised Front Row and Apple Remote, and DVR capability. Just a big, fat hope thoughÑno info to go on.

It has been mentioned in recent years that Apple might engage in misdirection and it looks like that's what happened. There was a clue embedded in the original rumor that I mentioned, the use of the term AppleDesign to describe speakers and remote. That term was pre-Jobs.

Anyway, it was a very interesting and informative discussion of the Viiv platform and of flat panel display technologies. It was also a great market research tool for Apple. I'm sure they read this stuff and delight in all the falderal but they can also learn what sorts of things we're interested in. There's a great opportunity here for it to make a product that eliminates HDTV hell.

I'm really happy with all the new stuff and look forward to all the new things to come. I'll be getting one of those new MacBook Pros soon.

Please go the fuck away.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Hey there, Mac fans! Been sifting through all the new info, watching...

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

...getting one of those new MacBook Pros soon.

You know, this guy really reminds me of the guy over at MacOSRumors.com...

Bleeh...

;^p
  • Reply 11 of 79
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

I love the fact that you try to legitimize your ramblings with the "planting misinformation" excuse instead of just admitting you have no sources and have no idea what you are talking about. Classic.

I think your little game was ridiculous, but probably more ridiculous were all the legitimate news sources that actually picked up on it. That was kind of funny.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

You got your ego stroking 15 minutes drawn into three full days. Nice job. It's easy (and cheap) to try to cover your tracks with Jason's tin-foil hat strategy. Just own up to making the whole thing up yourself and emailing it to TS. Nick wasn't a gullible asshat though and refused to bite.

O'Grady was just a fortunate dupe that read the boards.

Now you get to join the AI Hall of Shame

Rolo

Kormac

DorsalM

No Worker Bee kudo?s for you.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Now you get to join the AI Hall of Shame

Rolo

Kormac

DorsalM

No Worker Bee kudo?s for you.

That would be giving him a little too much credit. Dorsal...oh yeah...almost forgot about that one.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Rolo never said I should believe him.

Maybe in March, some things will materialize. And even nothing does, it's been *really* fun pre-Macworld here in AI.

Cheers!
  • Reply 15 of 79
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Forget the Plasmas. They were a long shot anyway. I'll be glad to wait for the real SED units. What happened to Think Secret's movie streaming service thingy. While we're stinging up Rolo, do we get to lynch Nick, too? BTW, I brought a rope.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    I agree. Rolo made the thread a lot of fun and I thank you for that. That's what this whole SPECULATION/RUMORS thing is about.

It's obvious that Apple have got way more up their sleeve for us yet. Between (April 1st?), NAB, WWDC, Paris and some unscheduled Media Events. This is gonna be one busy year and I really do think we will see a MacSed TV to beat off that pesky competition from MS World.

I also expect that we may see a 17" MacBook Pro with Blu-Ray at WWDC to follow up on Sony's B-Ray Intro with the PS3. The 15.4" MacBook Pro could probably get a revision close to then too (6 months). I think the MacBook will come in 13.3" only. Apple are successful by making huge profits on a small selection of products (although they can be customized).

By introducing new lines this year; could be anything from SedTV to Boombox, Video iPod or Tablet. It will help to consolidate a little.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Don't forget Siggraph in late July/early August...

Would LOVE to hear Apple purchasing/producing a robust & reliable pro-level 3d application...

Could anyone see Apple purchasing Luxology...?

Or, if Disney were to buy up Pixar, maybe Steve would split out the software (RenderMan, duh; Marionette, Artist Tools, etc. ...) side and sell that to Apple...

3d app is basically the last item needed in Apple's DCC tool chest...
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Don't forget Siggraph in late July/early August...

Would LOVE to hear Apple purchasing/producing a robust & reliable pro-level 3d application...

Could anyone see Apple purchasing Luxology...?

Or, if Disney were to buy up Pixar, maybe Steve would split out the software (RenderMan, duh; Marionette, Artist Tools, etc. ...) side and sell that to Apple...

3d app is basically the last item needed in Apple's DCC tool chest...

I think there will be a 3D App eventually but they are going to have to ease their way into the market. They would start with a simple 3D application based on something like Blender and then over time the product would evolve and create the need for a Pro version. The 3D market is heavily covered from all directions so it is a difficult market for them to get into unfortunately. They could buy someone out but I think they have got bigger more consumer friendly fish to fry.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Forget the Plasmas. They were a long shot anyway. I'll be glad to wait for the real SED units. What happened to Think Secret's movie streaming service thingy. While we're stinging up Rolo, do we get to lynch Nick, too? BTW, I brought a rope.

All flatpanel TV sets suffer the same economic problem that make them a bad bet for Apple or for any other manufacturer for whom they are not a primary product line. The prices of flatpanels are dropping like a stone. Apple is a for-profit corporation. Selling flatpanel TVs is a good way to change that.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

All flatpanel TV sets suffer the same economic problem that make them a bad bet for Apple or for any other manufacturer for whom they are not a primary product line. The prices of flatpanels are dropping like a stone. Apple is a for-profit corporation. Selling flatpanel TVs is a good way to change that.

Agreed.

Unless...

They just throw a computer behind the screen (somewhere between iMac and Powermac capabilities) and then add TV functionality. I really wish I could use my iMac as a computer/tv simultaneously, like a picture-in-picture deal. I could work like usual and resize the TV window down small and place it where was best for me, like with DVD player or Quicktime.

I really don't watch much TV, but this kind of functionality would be uber handy on football sundays and hockey games I want to see.