iLife '06

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
From what little I've seen -- since the keynote is still in progress -- iLife '06 looks great!

iPhoto: Photocasting, calendar creation, better books, postcards. We'll have to see how this Photocasting thing works and how well visitors will be able to use it.

iMovie: FINALLY, multiple projects open at once!

iDVD: Groovy little add-ons.

Still waiting on Garageband and iWeb.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    I'm kind of disappointed, to tell the truth. Too much focus on podcasting, photocasting, whatever casting--but other than iPhoto, it doesn't seem like there is much besides that added. And even iPhoto it's mostly just the speed that appeals to me.

Garage Band is my favorite app, and I really hoped something cool would be added. But I don't use to record iChat interviews, or podcast.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

I'm kind of disappointed, to tell the truth. Too much focus on podcasting, photocasting, whatever casting--but other than iPhoto, it doesn't seem like there is much besides that added. And even iPhoto it's mostly just the speed that appeals to me.

Garage Band is my favorite app, and I really hoped something cool would be added. But I don't use to record iChat interviews, or podcast.

What new things did you expect then?

Frankly, this was probably the biggest update to iLife so far. Some people have found iPhoto's greatest fault to be speed...those people should be happy (if Steve jobs is to be believed...I can't imagine iPhoto being slow on a 2GHz dual-core iMac)...iPhoto also gained fullscreen editing, easy-to-use CoreImage filter effects and neat-o printing options. This update should bring it on par with Picassa in terms of speed...and exceed Picassa in terms of everything else.

Same with iMovie...themes, CoreVideo effects...this is pretty big stuff for a consumer movie-editing program.

iWeb seems like the easiest web site creation tool out there. If you're into hand-coding sites and loath cookie-cutter templates, this is probably not for you though.

If you got iLife '05, you could probably skip this update and not feel too left out...but if you're still using '04, 79$ for this suite is a steal.

iWork on the other hand probably isn't worth the upgrade if you got '05.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    The unified interface is worth the upgrade alone. Finally, all iLife apps will look the same and act the same (hopefully).

iWeb is completely new and iPhoto was apparently rewritten from scratch (if that is to be believed). The use of CoreImage/CoreVideo in iPhoto and iMovie is excellent news (not so excellent for me and others with old computers and old GPUs but excellent for people that have the computer power to handle it).
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

What new things did you expect then?

I don't know what I expected. But I guess I'm spoiled since Jobs managed to surprise me the last two times. Some support for notation is my biggest wish, both to enter musical notation into GB and get it back.

On the other hand, now that I've had a chance to see the interface changes I'm a bit more impressed. It looks like a lot of work has gone into core things like speed and interface, which is cool. I just wasn't excited by the "...casting" focus of the demo.

And, I enough of a sucker I just ordered iLife and iWork--and even paid for overnight shipping. So I guess I'll find out if it impresses me in person or not.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Will the individual applications within iLife be released as updates (or at an update price) to our existing versions? I think the new iPhoto updates look pretty cool and would satisfy my photo editing requirements, I'm just not sure that i want to pay full price for a few small upgrades. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 6 of 70
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    Does anyone have any idea when these will be available to buy in the store? I called 2 stores and they don't have any idea when we can buy them. I know it was just released, but is there a normal lag time to get them in the retail stores?
  • Reply 7 of 70
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

[BSome support for notation is my biggest wish, both to enter musical notation into GB and get it back. [/B]

I'd love that too. I use the free Finale Notepad instead.

BTW, I noticed people saying that iWeb requires .Mac (was in another thread and I can't find it now), but it actually says: "iWeb publishing requires Internet and webserver access (.Mac recommended)." That doesn't sound like it requires .Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Quick Garageband question: GB 2 introduced an (approximate) 35 minutes limitation in recording length (due to the number of bars it was programmed to accept as the maximum). Anyone know if this has been fixed in GB 3?
  • Reply 9 of 70
    Does anyone know if iPhoto has non-destructive photo editing like Aperture?
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

It uses CoreImage for filters...so I don't see how it wouldn't. Although it might not for performance reasons (older Macs would probably choke if you on images with a few filters.)
  • Reply 11 of 70
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

No it converts to an intermediary format(JPEG is one) before applying edits.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    idvd 06 supports 3rd party burners. Which ones? I can't get through apple's site. Needs quiktime 7. I can't download because I don't have Tiger.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

idvd 06 supports 3rd party burners. Which ones? I can't get through apple's site. Needs quiktime 7. I can't download because I don't have Tiger.

It doesn't specify exactly and you only need 10.3.9 for QT 7.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWILL

Does anyone have any idea when these will be available to buy in the store? I called 2 stores and they don't have any idea when we can buy them. I know it was just released, but is there a normal lag time to get them in the retail stores?

If you can you might as well order it from Apple directly because it will be flying off shelves for the next couple of weeks making it hard for you to get a copy.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

And, I enough of a sucker I just ordered iLife and iWork--and even paid for overnight shipping. So I guess I'll find out if it impresses me in person or not.

You and me both...
  • Reply 16 of 70
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

You and me both...

I'd make 3. I skipped iWork though. I'll stick to Office.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm really looking forward to moving my blog from Blurty over to my .Mac account. I'd also like to spruce up my existing .Mac site and add a few things. It looks like iWeb will be good for all that. I'm excited to get it!
  • Reply 18 of 70
    the things I would have liked are extra audio channels in imovie and maybe keyframe support.

iweb sounds cool too but even if I opened up a .mac account I would still have to pay my current host to redirect, I know apple really is'nt in that business but I wish they would include a solution for your own domain name without .mac attached to it.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    I wish there weren't such a focus on .mac ~ I've never really liked the idea of $99 a year for it. It appears that iWeb will publish to any webserver, but still this .mac dependence is a bother. It would be great if there was an option within prefrences that would switch all .mac syncing to your own webserver. That's an option that I could really lay hold of.

You know iTunes ported well over to windows... I'm quite sure they have an iLife on windows room somewhere in Cupertino. With the stuff they are doing for photocasting they ought to ship iLife for windows and shake up the pc world even more.

I've read so many articles about how great ms office is at working between the apps ~ iLife (w/ iwork too) makes ms office look cumbersome. Apple integration is wonderful! I'm looking forward to iLife 06 on my new macbook in february...
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Im looking forward to see if iweb can be used that way, right now I am publishing my webpages just using basic html so they are pretty lame http://www.mercury7.com so I would really like a template that I could easily manipulate to make my site interactive without hiring a web guru.