iPod: the most succesful/influential product ever?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With the whole economy of products surrounding it, is there any other single product that has been this powerful? Car makers are adding support. Levi is designing jeans around it. Where else can this all go?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

With the whole economy of products surrounding it, is there any other single product that has been this powerful? Car makers are adding support. Levi is designing jeans around it. Where else can this all go?

I heard there is also a sex toy that plugs into it too.

I won't say it is the most influential product, though 41M worldwide is impressive. I would think there has to be something else that sold better, maybe the PS1.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    One thing is for sure.. sales are going crazy..

If the slope continues upward this year, they will sell over 100.000.000 ipods this year. Its definately possible if you look at the growth rate year over year.. Sales are multiplied by a factor of about 6x every year... 1.25 million > 8 million > 32 million > 180 million in 2006??

• Reply 3 of 8
    I think the most influential product might be something more like the Model T. Or the original Macintosh. Or the printing press

Ubiquity doesn't equal influence.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    you guys are forgetting the Segway.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You guys are forgetting the wheel, the electric light, and gosh, even the microprocessor chip.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Heck, even if we're just talking about music products, iPod is beat by Walkman. Once you own the word on the consumers mind, as Sony did with Walkman, then you're king of the hill.

Apple is close, but not there yet.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I think iPod is pretty synonymous with digital music. About as well connected as Walkman and portable music was.

It has to be among one of the more annoying items for retailers though. How many freaking accessories do they get to stock?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Heck, even if we're just talking about music products, iPod is beat by Walkman. Once you own the word on the consumers mind, as Sony did with Walkman, then you're king of the hill.

Apple is close, but not there yet.

They're pretty damn close. When I went to the mall to buy my iPod at the KOP Apple Store, I heard a couple behind me saying "let's go to the iPod store".

"Podcasts" are becoming big too. Almost everyone knows what an iPod is, and few of them want a knockoff. I don't think we've seen anything yet. I don't know about 100M but maybe 50M next year.