What do you think of the name MacBook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I think it sucks. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    It's not the worst product name I've heard, and it does make logical sense. But I agree that it sounds blunt and staccato, vs the more melodic "Powerbook."

I liked Macintel more (sound-wise), but that moniker would represent the entire line vs any one model.

Personally, I would have preferred sticking with Powerbook, appending an Intel-specific suffix (eg: Powerbook CD, for Core Duo) to distinguish from the concurrent PPC models. Then a couple years from now, when all models are Intel, dropping the DC and moving onward with the brand.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Where's the MacBook (non-pro)? I think it's an awful name, and it abandons the enormous brand recognition of "Powerbook". OTOH, it might just presage the end of the "i" era. Like so...

iBook -> MacBook

Powerbook -> MacBook Pro

iMac -> Mac

PowerMac -> Mac Pro

Just when I started to not only get used to iBook and iMac, but appreciate them as inspired brand names.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Maybe Mac, iMac, and Mac Pro.

And MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I don't really care much what they call it, as long as I like it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The idea is to keep "Mac" in the name. Therefore, the name "iBook" is certainly in jeopardy.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The idea is to keep "Mac" in the name. Therefore, the name "iBook" is certainly in jeopardy.

Yes, that is certainly what this name-change suggests.

The "MacBook" part I can just about deal with. It's the "Pro" on the end that pushes the name over to the wrong side of the "craptacularly cheesy" line.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I think MacBook Pro is pretty good. As was said in the keynote, they wanted to take "power" out of the name because they weren't using the power pc architecture anymore (and they wanted to put "mac" in all their computers now). The name I can't stand is iBook. In fact, all this i stuff in general is beginning ot annoy me... iBook, iMac, iPhoto, iMovie, iSight... and then every third party vendor has to jump on the bandwagon and add their i product. Adding Mac instead of i works for me.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

I think MacBook Pro is pretty good. As was said in the keynote, they wanted to take "power" out of the name because they weren't using the power pc architecture anymore (and they wanted to put "mac" in all their computers now). The name I can't stand is iBook. In fact, all this i stuff in general is beginning ot annoy me... iBook, iMac, iPhoto, iMovie, iSight... and then every third party vendor has to jump on the bandwagon and add their i product. Adding Mac instead of i works for me.

Heh, I wrote something similar to you (about all the "i"s everywhere) and then deleted it before I posted.

btw, the name "PowerBook" came along before the PowerPC processor. The first PowerBook was the PowerBook 100, released in October 1991. It had a 16 MHz MC68HC000 processor. The first PowerBook with a PowerPC processor was the PowerBook 5300, introduced in August 1995, it had a 100 MHz 603e.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

btw, the name "PowerBook" came along before the PowerPC processor. The first PowerBook was the PowerBook 100, released in October 1991. It had a 16 MHz MC68HC000 processor. The first PowerBook with a PowerPC processor was the PowerBook 5300, introduced in August 1995, it had a 100 MHz 603e.

I was just going off what Jobs said in his keynote. Something like, "We're moving away from "power.""I took it to imply he meant no power pc chip, no power in the name. It's a marketing thing.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    PowerMac with Intel Chips > MacMacs

Or just Mac Pro. :P

I like it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    'MacBook Pro' is weak to say the least. I think they'll be known to the faithful as 'Powerbooks' for a while yet, regardless of the name change. Just like a favourite bar that changes ownership and name but is known to the regulars by its old name.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    PowerBook was such an easy monicker-- made you feel proud just to know someone who owned one. You could stand tall, feel fulfilled when you could tote one from place to place back in the bad old days! Then they were black, smooth, and plastic. Awesome. Then they became Titanium and tinny, back before AL days began. Now, in the End of Days we can see that that was all an illusion. What we really wanted was something named like a PC clone from Taiwan.

I would have been happy with Mac PowerBook, but that "pro" thing is so cheap. Bring back the Lime iBook!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    I have to say that I don't like the name MacBook. Why, you ask? Try saying "MacBook" 5 times fast.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by livatlantis

PowerMac with Intel Chips > MacMacs

Or just Mac Pro. :P

I like it.

MacTower Pro

Macaddict16
  • Reply 14 of 14
    i liked powerbook better. pro sounds cheesy