Dasboard+Amnesty vs Konfabulator/YahooWidgets

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A while ago I stopped using Dashboard in favor of Konfabulator (now Yahoo! Widgets) 'cuz I like having my widgets on my desktop rather than only on command.

I am aware that the program Amnesty allows you to keep your widgets open on the desktop.

Putting aside the cost of Amnesty, I am curious if anyone has any opinion of if there are any advantages of using Dashboard+Amnesty over just Konfabulator...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

A while ago I stopped using Dashboard in favor of Konfabulator (now Yahoo! Widgets) 'cuz I like having my widgets on my desktop rather than only on command.

I am aware that the program Amnesty allows you to keep your widgets open on the desktop.

Putting aside the cost of Amnesty, I am curious if anyone has any opinion of if there are any advantages of using Dashboard+Amnesty over just Konfabulator...

You don't even need to buy Amnesty, the ability to remove widgets from the dashboard is already available in Mac OS X. Simply open up the terminal and type "defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES" then hit return, this activates the dashboard developer mode. Now you can either keep your widgets in your dashboard or drag them out one by one simply by pressing F12 again while moving the widget
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I forgot to mention that you need to either log out and then back in again after you have entered that command into the terminal or force quit the dock/dashboard.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

I forgot to mention that you need to either log out and then back in again after you have entered that command into the terminal or force quit the dock/dashboard.

Well, cool! I will give this a try....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

How do you drag them out of your dashboard to the desktop?

Never mind. Just figured it out:

Never mind. Figured it out:

1. Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).

2. Begin dragging the widget.

3. Press F12 again, before letting up on the mouse button.

4. Drop the widget wherever you want it.

Is there any way to set the widgets so they are on the desktop and not above all the other windows?

• Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

Is there any way to set the widgets so they are on the desktop and not above all the other windows?

None that I know of, unfortunately, but this would be a killer feature and if anyone could write a hack or something that would enable this it would be pretty damn cool.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I guess that's the total reason for Amnesty. (But it's $20 pricetag seems really steep for what is really merely nothing more than a glorified hack...)

Having gone through the available Konfabulator and Dashboard widgets, it seems like Dashboard doesn't offer any advantages...unless I am missing something. ..