iTunes 6.0.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
On the Uk version of Apple.com there is a download for what seems to be iTunes 6.0.2. Just about to install it - although may back up my library first! Previous iTunes updates have been buggy!

iTunes has been installed - quite a nice update - ministore is a bit useless. It would be cool if it updated depending on the song but then this would mean private information being sent - so maybe it's good it doesn't!

The link mentions home movie support - I'll try that tomorrow!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Apparently ministore DOES send information from your computer to Apple. Here's a link to an article with the information and also how to disable ministore.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...tore/index.php
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Apparently ministore DOES send information from your computer to Apple

It's pretty hard to make a search without sending it
  • Reply 3 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How the heck do I disable this thing on the bottom?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    There's a button next to the equalizer: click on it. Or Edit > Off MiniStore
  • Reply 5 of 26
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Apparently ministore DOES send information from your computer to Apple. Here's a link to an article with the information and also how to disable ministore.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...tore/index.php

Has anyone actually read the terms and conditions before installing - it could be hidden in this? I do agree though - Apple should not submit personal information without your permission. Sony have been heavily criticised for their spyware in their computers.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    The best feature of iTunes 6.0.2 is that if you right click a song you can add to it a playlist from the contextual menu - awesome!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

The best feature of iTunes 6.0.2 is that if you right click a song you can add to it a playlist from the contextual menu - awesome!

I had not noticed this. Nice find.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Also found:

(As I mentioned in another post) Streaming to multiple speakers using Airport Express.

You can now select "TV Show" as a kind for a movie. I'm glad this has been added, as I have ripped TV shows, and before couldn't set them to show up as TV Shows in iTunes...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Anyone else having the new iTunes crash alot when trying to fill an iPod shuffle using Apple lossless files (i.e. where it has to convert the file to AAC)?

It not only crashes iTunes, but after you force quit it the little black triangle does not go away from the dock, so you have to re-boot in order to re-launch it (the dock thinks it is running when it is not).
  • Reply 10 of 26
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Also found:

(As I mentioned in another post) Streaming to multiple speakers using Airport Express.

You can now select "TV Show" as a kind for a movie. I'm glad this has been added, as I have ripped TV shows, and before couldn't set them to show up as TV Shows in iTunes...

Has anyone found a way to edit the name of the TV show? It appears the field is non-user-editable. I.e., useless for all but iTMS purchases... (And I have no intension of paying a higher price per episode for a lower quality with no commentary or bonus features than I could get on DVD.)
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

Has anyone found a way to edit the name of the TV show? It appears the field is non-user-editable. I.e., useless for all but iTMS purchases... (And I have no intension of paying a higher price per episode for a lower quality with no commentary or bonus features than I could get on DVD.)

Right-click (or CTRL+click) and choose Get Info from the contextual menu to edit any field you'd like. You can also search for the video in your Library and change it from there.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Right-click (or CTRL+click) and choose Get Info from the contextual menu to edit any field you'd like. You can also search for the video in your Library and change it from there.

Unfortunately, that just brings up the standard song fields (Album, Artist, Composer, Genre, etc.), which is just silly. The more I think about it, the more this seems like an intermediate hack, or a holding point between something more serviceable. Especially since the ability to make a video a TV Show type required an update to 6.0.2.

Didn't Jobs say something when the 5G iPods were introduced that "this is not the video iPod, but an iPod that support video"? If so, mightn't this Video in iTunes thing be a simple intermediate step, a necessarily ugly conduit to get videos into the iPod while the main show is offstage getting ready?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

Unfortunately, that just brings up the standard song fields (Album, Artist, Composer, Genre, etc.), which is just silly.

Isn't that (title) what you're trying to edit?

I do agree iTunes is getting bloated with "features" like the ministore while leaving out some simple functionality like giving you different menus and fields for videos, or a way to manage internet radio streams the same way you can manage everything else.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

There's a button next to the equalizer: click on it. Or Edit > Off MiniStore

Wow, that's five times less obvious than I'd want it to be. \

Thanks for the info though.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Isn't that (title) what you're trying to edit?

No. I think we're both trying to edit the name of the TV Show, not the individual episodes (Firefly, Futurama, Family Guy, etc.). I can't edit the Show, Season, or Description fields.

I've just stopped bothering really. It seems clear that iTunes is not going to do with videos what it does with music. Right now, I believe it's just a place holder. Its Videos functionality is a half-assed hack to get videos on the iPod. Nothing more.

That's fine with me as long as Apple (or someone) will come out with this functionality in a separate application in the future. I just wish I knew that before getting frustrated at its lacks.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    A commmand line program named AtomicParsley will let you add/edit the tags that have the TV show information that you can't otherwise from iTunes.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    apple listened to our complaints about the ministore. when i want to open the ministore, i get the message that the ministore sends info to apple but no info is kept by apple. i think it's the solution some of us wanted.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    i read in one of the threads in this forum that apple added more features to airtunes in the 6.0.2 including the ability to stream to more than one airport express at a time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to stream to an airport express and play over the computer's speakers at the same time?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

i read in one of the threads in this forum that apple added more features to airtunes in the 6.0.2 including the ability to stream to more than one airport express at a time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to stream to an airport express and play over the computer's speakers at the same time?

I'm 99% sure that this was enabled in the latest release.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I'm 99% sure that this was enabled in the latest release.

I downloaded 6.0.2 and everything in terms of airtunes seems to be the same, there's no option to select more than one set of speakers... hmm