Repair Permissions Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After downloading the latest updates for quicktime, itunes, etc I decided to repair permissions.

However, disk first aid starts doing it, then I get a message to quit and try again. It just wont let me repair permissions.

I dont have the system CD so i can't start up from it.

Any ideas? Would buying disk warrior be a good idea or do I have to buy a new OS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Why would you buy a new OS? You can re-install the old one in the case that nothing works.

Give DiskWarrior a try. Do they have a Trial version? Just check if it starts working. Don't buy it before you can establish that it'll work.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Why would you buy a new OS? You can re-install the old one in the case that nothing works.

Give DiskWarrior a try. Do they have a Trial version? Just check if it starts working. Don't buy it before you can establish that it'll work.

I went in on a 5 pack with my friend but he has the CD and he's in NJ. It would take a few days to get it.

I dont think disk warrior has a trial version. I know techtool does but I dont think it does much of anything.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I have an odd problem.

I can't repair permissions anymore. I start up disk first aid and click repair permissions and it starts and then I get a message saying first aid can't connect or something and tells me to quit and try again.

This happened after downloading the latest quicktime and itunes updates.

Do you think Techtool or Diskwarrior could help? I'm stumped.

maybe a new thread is in order? regardless, i'd recommend running disk utility off the OS X install/boot disk and run a disk check and then a permissions check, then you can do the first aid that you normally can't do to the boot volume. it seems pretty unlikely you'll have to go to a 3rd party app.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

maybe a new thread is in order? regardless, i'd recommend running disk utility off the OS X install/boot disk and run a disk check and then a permissions check, then you can do the first aid that you normally can't do to the boot volume. it seems pretty unlikely you'll have to go to a 3rd party app.

yup, seems like the only way.

I'm going to have my friend send me the OS CD.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

maybe a new thread is in order?

Yup - that's a thread-crap. I'm splitting this off.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I tried running fsck. It restarted as planned but when it came to the command line it wouldn't let me type anything in.

Ugh