iLife '06

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by aecheylon

Quick Garageband question: GB 2 introduced an (approximate) 35 minutes limitation in recording length (due to the number of bars it was programmed to accept as the maximum). Anyone know if this has been fixed in GB 3?

You may already know this but, recording length is also a factor of the tempo set, so if you are recording audio or midi only you can halve the tempo (i.e.q = 60 instead of = 120) and this will double the recording length, halve it again and it is quadrupled etc. This is an issue if you need to drop loops on, since they adjust to the tempo, but there are work-arounds to this. So it is quite possible to record over an hours worth of music.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

You and me both...

Wow, mines scheduled to arrive in about an hour. Way to go Apple. Last year it took a week even though I ordered it the day of the show.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Wow, mines scheduled to arrive in about an hour. Way to go Apple. Last year it took a week even though I ordered it the day of the show.

Mine seems to have shipped also.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Dawg!!!

Mine shipped today!! I am pumped about iLife '06!!!
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Dawg!!!

Mine shipped today!! I am pumped about iLife '06!!!

Mine arrived, but I'm still struggling to get it installed. This sucker eats even more hard drive space than before, so I'm having to do a massive cleanup of my hard drive.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Anyone find any good reviews out there yet?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Anyone find any good reviews out there yet?

I understand that iWeb does not support FTP at this time. SUCKS!
  • Reply 28 of 70
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I am curious: When it generates RSS feed(s), does it generate a new one for each application. IOW, does the blog get one, the podcast get another, the photocast get yet another? Or do they all share the same one?
  • Reply 29 of 70
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    iWeb looks cool, but does it have a code view?

I understand that the target audiance isnt going to use code, but I would like to have the ability to tweak/add things in code that may not be in the point-and-click feature set yet.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Desperate to get my hands on both iLife and iWork... won't be released in Japan for another 5 bloody weeks! Both the new machines are available today, though.

Why does Apple not offer an upgrade rate for these, despite the already low price? It feels rather odd buying the same software every year...
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Why does Apple not offer an upgrade rate for these, despite the already low price? It feels rather odd buying the same software every year...

That is a good question. I have never thought about it that way.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Since all macs come with it build in i think they regard the normal price as an upgrade... That could be the rationale for iLife at least.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

Desperate to get my hands on both iLife and iWork... won't be released in Japan for another 5 bloody weeks! Both the new machines are available today, though.

Well, lets price it out as seperate apps

GrageBand: the software needed or time spent adding art, editing, compressing and coding backend RSS for podcasts: worth at least $50 or $20 for an upgrade unless you dont value your time...and imovie scoring, a great value-added

iPhoto, if it preforms as good as it did in the keynote, worth $19.99 or $9.99 for an upgrade

iMovie: tweaks, multi-projects open, pre-made 3d toys, not much besides eye candy, $9.99 upgrade $50 new

iDVD (yawn) 3rd party burner support (which SHOULD HAVE been there long ago) free upgrade $20 new.

iWeb, or equivalent point-and-click tool No upgrade $50 new

that is ~$190 new

or $40 for upgrades and $50 for iWeb = $90 so it kindof is an upgrade price.

iLife has two huge things going for it, number one is integration, any asset in any app. with ease, number two is consistant UI.

iLife 06 is a really solid upgrade from the spec sheet
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Well, lets price it out as seperate apps

GrageBand: the software needed or time spent adding art, editing, compressing and coding backend RSS for podcasts: worth at least $50 or $20 for an upgrade unless you dont value your time...and imovie scoring, a great value-added

iPhoto, if it preforms as good as it did in the keynote, worth $19.99 or $9.99 for an upgrade

iMovie: tweaks, multi-projects open, pre-made 3d toys, not much besides eye candy, $9.99 upgrade $50 new

iDVD (yawn) 3rd party burner support (which SHOULD HAVE been there long ago) free upgrade $20 new.

iWeb, or equivalent point-and-click tool No upgrade $50 new

that ia ~$190 new

or $30 for upgrades and $50 fr iWeb=80 sp it kindof is an upgrade price.

iLife has two huge things going for it, number one is integration, any asset in any app. with ease, number two is consistant UI.

iLife 06 is a really solid upgrade from the spec sheet

iWeb should be ~ $35 like Rapid Weaver <-- has a lot more features
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

iWeb should be ~ $35 like Rapid Weaver <-- has a lot more features

you may be right, but it doesnt change the metric that much.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

you may be right, but it doesnt change the metric that much.

I agree(r) (haha)!

iLife '06 is an excellent deal. Maybe not so much for those that have iLife '05. But it is to those that have iLife '04 or earlier.

And if you buy a new Mac with iLife '06 bundled...it's the most amazing deal ever. Whether people consider it a 'free' bonus or factor iLife into the price of the computer, they'll quickly realize how much a of a deal this is. This deal is much more apparent if you buy a Mac mini or, say, the 1299$ iMac Core Duo.

If I didn't have self-control, I'd buy the iMac Core Duo right away. The bang for buck on that thing is ridiculous. You get a 17" screen with built-in iSight, two very fast processors, an excellent graphics card, the Mac OS X 10.4.4 (a 129$ value), Frontrow, iLife '06 (79$ value), and Big Bang Board games (most excellent board games from Freeverse).

Simply plug the iMac in and plug your Ethernet cable (or do nothing else if you got wireless) and you can video chat, easily and rapidly create a website, catalogue and share photos, manage music, make videos and DVDs, surf the web with a fast, modern and compliant browser, use the computer as a media center, all this right out of the frickin' box. Not a whole lot of PCs do this for 1299$ (if any.)
  • Reply 37 of 70
    All good points.

Apple Store Japan now has iLife listed at 3 weeks. Sure beats 5, and iWork can wait.

Will be reading intently to see what you guys think of the software.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

If I didn't have self-control, I'd buy the iMac Core Duo right away. The bang for buck on that thing is ridiculous. You get a 17" screen with built-in iSight, two very fast processors, an excellent graphics card, the Mac OS X 10.4.4 (a 129$ value), Frontrow, iLife '06 (79$ value), and Big Bang Board games (most excellent board games from Freeverse).

You forgot the warm fuzzy feeling you get for knowing it's Mac.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:

You forgot the warm fuzzy feeling you get for knowing it's Mac.

Hehe...yeah, that one's priceless.

[Cue MasterCard commercial ad]

Core Duo chip...$397

Tiger...$129

iLife...$79

Knowing it's Mac...priceless.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Will be reading intently to see what you guys think of the software.

I upgraded from iLife '04 but I love the changes in iMovie and iDVD.