Apple applies for "Mobile Me" trademark

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer last week asked the United States Patent and Trademark Office to grant it a trademark on the term "Mobile Me," AppleInsider has discovered.

On January 5th, the company made four separate filings on the term, covering a broad range of technologies and services.

The first filing describes Mobile Me as a computing device that could include:

"Computer services; computer data recovery; data analysis being computer services; computer programming; updating of computer software; maintenance of computer software, computer and communications networks, and computer systems; research and development of computer hardware and software; website design, creation, hosting services;"

A second filing covers the digital audio space, describing Mobile Me as:

"providing digital music from local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular and satellite networks; operating chat rooms; publication of electronic books and journals from local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular and satellite networks; providing on-line electronic publications; electronic games services provided from local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular and satellite networks; information relating to music entertainment, education, interactive entertainment and education, provided on-line from local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular and satellite networks; music library services; organizing and conducting seminars and training courses relating to science, engineering, computer systems and business"

The third filing relates Mobile Me to a consumer electronics portable device. The filing covers:

"Portable digital electronic devices and software related thereto; handheld digital electronic devices and software related thereto; digital audio players, including digital music players, and software related thereto; digital video players and software related thereto; MP3 players and software related thereto; handheld computers, personal digital assistants, pagers, electronic organizers, electronic notepads; telephones, mobile phones, videophones; computer gaming machines; microprocessors, memory boards; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, disk drives; cameras, digital cameras; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management; database management software; character recognition software; telephony management software; electronic mail and messaging software, paging software; database synchronization software; computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases;"

Finally, Apple also filed for a trademark on Mobile Me as service that could include:

"Telecommunication services; electronic transmission and retrieval of data, images, audio, video and documents, including text, cards, letters, messages, mail, animations, and electronic mail, over local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular and satellite networks; electronic transmission of computer software over local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular, and satellite networks; electronic mail services; facsimile transmission; web site portal services; providing access to databases and local or global communications networks, including the internet, intranets, extranets, television, mobile communication, cellular, and satellite networks; internet service provider services; message transmission services, namely, electronic transmission of messages; telecommunication services for the dissemination of information by mobile telephone, namely the transmission of data to mobile telephones; mobile telephone communication services."

We welcome your informed speculation in the AppleInsider Forums.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Is this refering to a new Mac Mini like product, or is this more specifically for a totally new service/hardware/music store/movie store?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    OMG. This is absolutely huge. "...computer and communications networks...", etc., etc., etc. Very big news.

Apple's systems design is all folding into place... Hardware and software perfectly integrated across wireless, web, cellular... I could imagine Apple hitting $200/share by next year!... Yow!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkExpensive

Is this refering to a new Mac Mini like product, or is this more specifically for a totally new service/hardware/music store/movie store?

Did you not notice the word "mobile"?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    I like Apple doing just about anything involving "mobile"

Sounds great..hope whatever it is comes to fruition.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about iphone and a tivo like service that integrates with a phone, smartphone etc. what if apple has it's own branded mobile service (s) apple mobile/ wireless
  • Reply 6 of 38
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

OMG. This is absolutely huge. "...computer and communications networks...", etc., etc., etc. Very big news.

Apple's systems design is all folding into place... Hardware and software perfectly integrated across wireless, web, cellular... I could imagine Apple hitting $200/share by next year!... Yow!

anyone notice this is almost a verbatim description of their filing for the trademark "gigawire" a few years ago? 'cause i did.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

what about iphone and a tivo like service that integrates with a phone, smartphone etc. what if apple has it's own branded mobile service (s) apple mobile/ wireless

that sounds brilliant to me.

Mobile definitely implies some sort of phone.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Will Mobile Me play Vingles?

Apple files for 'Vingle' trademark
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

That's entirely possible, seeing as Vingles are "Video Singles" and the term is actively being used in the iTunes Music Store right now. On the front page there was something about an exclusive Pussycat Dolls Vingle when I checked yesterday.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Perhaps this relates back to "Home on iPod"...where you could take everything (all of your data...music, pictures, videos, calendars, documents, address book, email, etc.) with you.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

I cannot imagine a world where people will want to ask for, send, receive, trade, seek out, or desire something called a "vingle". Bleecchhhh! The name is absolutely horrendous. I could come up with ten more sensible names without even blinking... but then, Apple's marketing team wouldn't be doing THEIR job. \
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by dan.blanchard

That's entirely possible, seeing as Vingles are "Video Singles" and the term is actively being used in the iTunes Music Store right now. On the front page there was something about an exclusive Pussycat Dolls Vingle when I checked yesterday.

Your're right. How terrible. This one musta slipped past the Steve. Remember, the term podcasting was not created by Apple. They should be looking to the users to create it's name. Noone I know is into vingles. Ptooey!

Oh, and just found this...it was coined by the English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vingle

Doesn't this constitute prior art? It should be in the public domain, or the property of the DJ's/VJ's that coined it.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by dan.blanchard

Oh cool! Is that what a Vingle is? I see it on the music store right now.

Thanks for the enlightenment!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

This is totally the 8 lb 10" screen Ipod!!!!!!

• Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

"Vingle" is no different than a "music video". Perhaps it's Apple's attempt to create some perceived consumer value before MTV/Microsquish uses it. I stand by my previous comments... I don't care who coined it. It's just as awkward as MacBook. Both very mouth-unfriendly trade names.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Your're right. How terrible. This one musta slipped past the Steve. Remember, the term podcasting was not created by Apple. They should be looking to the users to create it's name. Noone I know is into vingles. Ptooey!

Oh, and just found this...it was coined by the English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vingle

Doesn't this constitute prior art? It should be in the public domain, or the property of the DJ's/VJ's that coined it.

If you use the word for a description of a product or service that is far removed from the original meaning, then no.

Since a trademark can't have prior "art", as it isn't defind that way, it isn't a problem.

I'm not fond of it myself, but, then, I'm not fond of "so fun" either, but it seems to have become part of the language.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Is there anything this thing does not cover?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Is there anything this thing does not cover?

...But is it Crazy Delicious?

http://www.crazydelish.com
  • Reply 19 of 38
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    I guess it's service for iPhone (just like hand-held computer phone with iTunes Music and Video player with probably iCal ,Address Book, Safari for Mobile and iChat with small camera??//Wi-Fi or WiBro and GSM ?? )
  • Reply 20 of 38
    We'd be able to load Mac OS X on our iPod and take all our songs/files/docs/settings with us. Just plug the iPod into any other computer and voila, you have your own desktop.