2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    hmurchison, so when the transition is over

mac mini = core single

MacBook= core duo ( yonah vers. )

imac= core duo ( merom vers )

MacBook Pro = core duo ( merom vers )

Powermac = ? Conroe or Woodcrest ( keeping quad configuration ? )
  • Reply 22 of 33
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

I'm hoping the Macbook Pro (uurg, hate the name) will mature to gain an eSATA port, that would solve the problem of the lost FW800. I'm assuming the 945M motherboard the macbook has didnt support eSATA on the intel sata controller? I also think the speed dump on the DVD burner was because there is no notebook sized sata DL burner available? I guess the 17" version will have the 2.0Ghz or 2.13 ghz Core Duo processor, (the 2.13Ghz is not yet available). I seriously doubt Apple will wait for Conroe before updating the 17", thats still six months away.

Is the DVD drive SATA as well? I know for certain the hard drive is, i did not read any info about the DVD drive being SATA. The Hardware Dev doc should be out in a week or so, we will see for sure then.

If this is the case then Apple should have saved a shedload of room inside using PCI-e, SATA etc they should have plenty of room for 2 more USB ports, another Firewire port, S-Video and an internal modem.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Is the DVD drive SATA as well? I know for certain the hard drive is, i did not read any info about the DVD drive being SATA. The Hardware Dev doc should be out in a week or so, we will see for sure then.

If this is the case then Apple should have saved a shedload of room inside using PCI-e, SATA etc they should have plenty of room for 2 more USB ports, another Firewire port, S-Video and an internal modem.

Its only a guess, it makes no sense to downgrade the optical drive just for the sake of it, unless the one in the Powerbook G4 cant fit or has the wrong connector (IDE). HMurch, that sata expresscard looks good, as long as it works on the Macbook it should silence the FW800 whiners.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Obviously, a 17" MacBook Pro at around $2999 will be released sometime in the near future. My bet would be within the next 3 months with perhaps a 2.0 GHz Core Duo and some other features to make it worth the price. Maybe a 1920x1200 screen resolution will finally be offered, at least as an option.

A 12" MacBook Pro might never come to exist and a supposed 13.3" iBook/Intel will replace it if the rumors about thinner iBook/Intel laptops are true. Remember the 12" Powerbook G4 was just a souped up iBook G4.

If Apple has really changed, the MacBook Pro could possibly be updated every 3 or 4 months too, so a 15.4" MacBook Pro could have 2 GHz option in 3 months along with the 17", with prices changed accordingly.

By Q3, it's going to be a 2 GHz Merom which translates to about 20 to 30% more performance per clock, 64 bit with 4+ GB memory support (if 2 GB SO-DIMM modules are affordable), maybe 800 MHz FSB and other Intel goodies.

After that, maybe a 2.33 GHz Merom in Q1 07. 1067 MHz FSB might be affordable in a laptop in 1H 07, but who knows.

As for the iMac, a 65 Watt TDP, 2.16/2.33 GHz Conroe should definitely be possible. The 2.1 GHz 970fx that was in the previous iMac most likely around 60 Watts max power consumption, so Conroe isn't out of the question. Conroe should be cheaper than Merom, so it would be advantageous for Apple to use it. 2.16 and 2.33 GHz Conroes are also low hanging fruit too since it will probably debut at 2.6, maybe 2.8 GHz, for $1000+ per chip.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

hmurchison, so when the transition is over

mac mini = core single

MacBook= core duo ( yonah vers. )

imac= core duo ( merom vers )

MacBook Pro = core duo ( merom vers )

Powermac = ? Conroe or Woodcrest ( keeping quad configuration ? )

I personaly think it would be more like:

Mac mini = Yohan Core Duo

MacBook = Yohan Core Duo

iMac = Merom Core Duo

MacBook Pro = Merom Core Duo

ProMac = Conroe (dual-core single CPU) and/or Woodcrest (dual/quad-core single/dual CPU)

Xserve = Woodcrest (dual/quad-core single/dual CPU)

I really think that Apple will distinguish itself by offering nothing but dual-core CPUs from the beginning on all Intel Macs...
  • Reply 26 of 33
    i think thats more like it the future looks pretty cool, well i guess intel might be the right thing.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

If Apple has really changed, the MacBook Pro could possibly be updated every 3 or 4 months too, so a 15.4" MacBook Pro could have 2 GHz option in 3 months along with the 17", with prices changed accordingly.

With Intel normal release schedule it has to happen otherwise Apple will be perpetually 1 release of chips behind.. they just cannot do the 6-9 month update cycle anymore. Better for us to buy when we need rather than wait for expos and events.. better for them cause they have a more even buying season.. harder because they will need to be on top of their stock level game.

All up, hopefully much better for us, the consumer, their customers.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Exclusive: Intel will announce Merom in September 2006

[EDIT: as Telomar said it before in the other thread]

Quote:

Intel is on track to introduce its next-generation mobile processor "Merom", which will also serve for as foundation for a range of desktop and server processors, in September of this year, TG Daily has learned. Merom will launch at 2.33 GHz and bring 64-bit capability to a refreshed mobile processor platform, code-named Napa64.

See the complete article at TGdaily.

So Yonah will live just for 9 months...

Merom processor will bring higher frequencies and 64-bit support.

Napa64 chipset succeeding Napa will bring HDMI, HD audio and a trusted platform module (but don't iMac and MacBook Pro already have a TPM?)

Then in 2007, another chipset for Merom succeeding Napa64: Santa Rosa.

Santa Rosa was originally designed to bring DDR3 memory, FSB 1066 and HD hardware decoding, but latest information says it will fail to (in what order of magnitude, nobody knows). Fortunately ATI and NVIDIA GPUs do hardware decoding.

Please also note that Conroe is officially announced for July 2006.

Only remains the release date for the Xeon Woodcrest. The Inquirer says "Q2 2006", so June.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

With Intel normal release schedule it has to happen otherwise Apple will be perpetually 1 release of chips behind.. they just cannot do the 6-9 month update cycle anymore. Better for us to buy when we need rather than wait for expos and events.. better for them cause they have a more even buying season.. harder because they will need to be on top of their stock level game.

All up, hopefully much better for us, the consumer, their customers.

I agree 100% with everything you said. Now the $64 question: Will Apple really do it?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    I'm just worried about the prices. :-S
  • Reply 31 of 33
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

I'm just worried about the prices. :-S

Safe bet to say that they won't go up...

But probably won't go down much either...

Apple likes its fat profit margins, and after (almost) 30 years they know we (the consumers/prosumers/pros) will gripe about it but still pay the extra...
  • Reply 32 of 33
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The mac book pro is based around an Intel motherboard. It says the model in the sytem profiler and conversations with people in the know at the expo, said it was.

I might have heard wrong (i wasn't paying too much attention) but i heard intel 945? as the board? I might be confused.

Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

How do you know it's an Intel motherboard?

• Reply 33 of 33
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

What's Next in the MacBook Pro lines?

They'll replace the 15" model with a new 15" version that has all the removed features of the PowerBook line back in place.