Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by awinn233

The name is awful, absolutely awful. Hopefully when they come out with the real Intel PowerBooks they'll just call them PowerBooks.

What are you talking about?! What are the "real" Intel Powerbooks? What you see is what you get and you are just kidding yourself if you think this is just some stop-gap measure. The MacBook Pro IS the new "Powerbook"
  • Reply 22 of 107
    I will agree that iBook and PowerBook makes it easy to tell which one is professional/high-end, but calling the Intel based laptop "MacBook Pro" makes it so you do not have to distinquish between Intel and PPC when talking about or ordering PowerBooks. As far the the name is concerned I like it and though I would like my next laptop to be an iBook, I would not have a problem owning a "MacBook".
  • Reply 23 of 107
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nightshift

One strong indication that they aren't renaming the iBook is that they didn't rename the iMac.

Steve Jobs said they wanted "Mac" in the name of all their computer products. They didn't rename the iMac because it already has "Mac" in the name.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Steve Jobs said they wanted "Mac" in the name of all their computer products. They didn't rename the iMac because it already has "Mac" in the name.

Yes!

Boy, doesn't anybody ever read previous posts before posting themselves?
  • Reply 25 of 107
    They should retain the iBook name if for no other reason than to promote cross-product identification with the millions of iPod owners out there who might eventually find it cute to have a laptop that matches their music player.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

why not Macintosh iBook and Macintosh ProBook?

okay, yeah, macintosh is a bit old school. but mac probook sounded just as weird to me.

ProBook = Probook (prob book) or problem book. say it as one, probook, lol. Probably didn't pass by Steve. It's STILL better than MacBook Pro...even MacBook would be good, the pro is useless, and the iBook shouldnt be a MacBook anyways (although it will).
  • Reply 27 of 107
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've got a crazy idea. How about call it "Mac iBook"?

I just blew your mind.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yes!

Boy, doesn't anybody ever read previous posts before posting themselves?

I think we should rename the iPod

And melgross the answer is no.

• Reply 29 of 107
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    How about just leaving the apple on the lid and calling it "the computer formerly known as the Powerbook"
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I've got a crazy idea. How about call it "Mac iBook"?

I just blew your mind.

Too many syllables. Also, believe it or not, when we form our mouths to say words the way we do it determines how easy or difficult it is to do, and therefore whether or not we will want to do it.

Remember all of those lines that you are supposed to say several times quickly? They are designed to be difficult to say for that very reason I just mentioned.

Mac Book, is just easier to say than Mac I Book.

The same thing with Mac Book Pro. Easier to say.

Mouth out the words.

Mac Book - Mac I Book.

Even Mac Book Pro is easier to say than Mac I Book.

You'll see what I mean.

Believe it or not, they do think of these things.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I think we should rename the iPod

And melgross the answer is no.

The MacPod!

And, of course, the MacPod Pro!
  • Reply 32 of 107
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    MacBook Pro. I don't have any issues with words "Mac" or "Pro", it's "Book" that sounds dated. Like iPod, Apple could've created entirely new name that has nothing to do with notebook.

But at the end of the day, I don't care about the name as much as the computer itself. Call it X500 for all I care.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Quote:

The only machine that will probably remain safe is the XServe.

Clearly the XServe will become the BigMac
  • Reply 34 of 107
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Too many syllables. Also, believe it or not, when we form our mouths to say words the way we do it determines how easy or difficult it is to do, and therefore whether or not we will want to do it.

Remember all of those lines that you are supposed to say several times quickly? They are designed to be difficult to say for that very reason I just mentioned.

Mac Book, is just easier to say than Mac I Book.

The same thing with Mac Book Pro. Easier to say.

Mouth out the words.

Mac Book - Mac I Book.

Even Mac Book Pro is easier to say than Mac I Book.

You'll see what I mean.

Believe it or not, they do think of these things.

Well thank you for being so condescending. Yes, I realize this. Yes, "MacBook" is easier to say than "Mac iBook." The one advantage to the latter, however, is that it keeps the old nomenclature and injects the "Mac" name.

I imagine most people would still call it the "iBook," though Apple's official marketing materials -- and the laptop itself -- would have the full name.

What do I think we'll see? MacBook. But Apple could have a good reason for calling it "Mac iBook," because people could put a little pause in between words: Mac...iBook.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Then they should have just renamed it the Mac Powerbook instead of the MacBook Pro. What a waste of a perfectly good and very strong brand name.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

The new nomenclature does open the possibility for a MacBook mini.

Okay half-speculating/half-teasing.

However, think of this. By the end of this summer we might have:

MacBook Pro

MacBook

Mac Pro

iMac

Mac mini

That's my vote as well. I like the new naming scheme. Apples share is rising. The public is becoming more aware of the Mac. Branding the Mac name will be big in the larger picture.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    They should've put the "Mac" at the end, as with the iMac. I.e.:

RoadMac

MobileMac

or, my favorite:

Port-a-Mac (and in a new color: bright blue!)
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Well thank you for being so condescending. Yes, I realize this. Yes, "MacBook" is easier to say than "Mac iBook." The one advantage to the latter, however, is that it keeps the old nomenclature and injects the "Mac" name.

I imagine most people would still call it the "iBook," though Apple's official marketing materials -- and the laptop itself -- would have the full name.

What do I think we'll see? MacBook. But Apple could have a good reason for calling it "Mac iBook," because people could put a little pause in between words: Mac...iBook.

What's the matter with some of you guys? Can't you accept information without feeling belittled by it so that you have to claim that I'm being condescending?

Also, you've been posting long enough to know that sometimes a response isn't entirely meant for the person the post is directed towards, but rather to the communitty as a whole.

That was, I thought, obvious here.

I post what I know. Should I not post because some people might think, incorrectly, that I'm insulting their intelligence?

We all know lots of things, even if just in an offhand way, that we don't think about, until someone brings it up.

That's what these threads are all about, to get the juices flowing, and to share information and ideas, isn't it?
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

Then they should have just renamed it the Mac Powerbook instead of the MacBook Pro. What a waste of a perfectly good and very strong brand name.

But, he said, specifically, that they were through with Power. I even think he waved his hand in a dismissive way when he said it.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    what about

MacTop?

eh,

whatever i'm good with macbook.