Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I hear it's going to be called the MacServe Extreme

And I'm guessing we'll eventually see a MacBook Extreme.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    The names are fine.

Short, simple and too the point.

What I want to know is if Intel build these motherboards or is it all Apple or both!

Has anyone seen one yet... how do they look and perform, they sound fast...Are they cool on the bottom, are they using a radiator for cooling, yadda, yadda, etc.

I'm too busy to take the day off to go to the show.

-tink
  • Reply 43 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

The names are fine.

Short, simple and too the point.

What I want to know is if Intel build these motherboards or is it all Apple or both!

Has anyone seen one yet... how do they look and perform, they sound fast...Are they cool on the bottom, are they using a radiator for cooling, yadda, yadda, etc.

I'm too busy to take the day off to go to the show.

-tink

If Apple has a store near you, the machines should be there, at least the iMac, which he said would be available Tuesday.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

They should've put the "Mac" at the end, as with the iMac. I.e.:

RoadMac

MobileMac

or, my favorite:

Port-a-Mac (and in a new color: bright blue!)

RoadApple
  • Reply 45 of 107
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    iMac and iBook

PowerBook and PowerMac

Perfect and consistent names.

Now they ***@)!_! it up
  • Reply 46 of 107
    What about the apple subnotebook called the....

MacBook mini
  • Reply 47 of 107
    well, i'm going to assume that the intel PowerMac will be called ... get this... Mac Pro.

anyway... who cares... they will name the computers whatever they want...

they are still Macs...
  • Reply 48 of 107
    markmark Posts: 143member
    I pretty much thought the same thing as everyone else: 'MacBook Pro' seems very awkward. Say it out loud, and the words seem at angles with each other somehow. It's the way you have to change the position of your mouth/tongue from one word to the next. A lingust could explain it better. I've forgotten all my first-year classes.

I don't agree that the 'PowerBook' and 'Power Mac' names are untenable if the machines should use Intel chips. Outside of the Mac cult, few people bought Macs because of Apple's hype about the PowerPC. The reality is that most of them bought their Macs while remaining ignorant about the processors inside. Apple is throwing away a strong brand in 'PowerBook', and without good enough reason, I think.

Ah, whatever. Give us a decent 'MacBook' before the second half of the year (why so long?), and I'm sure we'll get over it. 8)

(Truth be known, I'm still steamed that Apple never made hay with a 'Flower Power G4 Tower.' Pshaw?! That one would have earned my loyalty forever...)
  • Reply 49 of 107
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    At this point I'd expect the revamped iBooks to be called MacBook mini since they may coincide with the Mac mini update.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

The new nomenclature does open the possibility for a MacBook mini.

Okay half-speculating/half-teasing.

However, think of this. By the end of this summer we might have:

MacBook Pro

MacBook

Mac Pro

iMac

Mac mini

This is an entirely plausible line of reasoning, however, similar naming schemes between products would mean confusion would reign among consumers. I hope this isn't indicitive of the new Apple... making boneheaded marketing moves like this, and that damned "vingle" thing. Oy!
  • Reply 51 of 107
    MacBook nano. Comes in black or white.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    And all this time I thought it was the about the user experience, not the silkscreen on the bezel.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaz

And all this time I thought it was the about the user experience, not the silkscreen on the bezel.

Yeah everyone's making a HUGE deal about the name, and nobody's talking about the computer.

For instance: the fact that Apple has YET TO POST THE BATTERY LIFE of the MacBook Pro on its website.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkExpensive

Yeah everyone's making a HUGE deal about the name, and nobody's talking about the computer.

For instance: the fact that Apple has YET TO POST THE BATTERY LIFE of the MacBook Pro on its website.

My first Al15 got 2 hours, tops. So, if it improves on the AL series, what can you ask.

And I have seen several posts of those who were on the floor who say unplugged units had times of anywhere between 5 and 7.5 hours remaining.

Just because Apple didn't post the info and the everyone gets paranoid.

Z
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaz

My first Al15 got 2 hours, tops. So, if it improves on the AL series, what can you ask.

And I have seen several posts of those who were on the floor who say unplugged units had times of anywhere between 5 and 7.5 hours remaining.

Z

Really? Because i've heard reports of 3hrs or less. I actually believe it is significant that Apple did not post the battery life time. They have on EVERY OTHER LAPTOP THEY HAVE EVER SOLD! Are they trying to hide something? If it was good, why wouldn't they mention it?
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I will agree that iBook and PowerBook makes it easy to tell which one is professional/high-end, but calling the Intel based laptop "MacBook Pro" makes it so you do not have to distinquish between Intel and PPC when talking about or ordering PowerBooks. As far the the name is concerned I like it and though I would like my next laptop to be an iBook, I would not have a problem owning a "MacBook".

I think troberts hit it on the head, the reason (or one of the reasons, besides the whole mac branding) is to distinguish between Intel and PPC laptops. As discussed before, this is not because PB's only have had PPC chips (not true), but because they are still selling PB's!! This easily distinguishes the two lines and will clear up a lot of confusion when people are buying.

Now, as for whether I like the name or not...that's another question. Frankly, I don't love it but it doesn't bother me, I'll get used to it...
  • Reply 57 of 107
    I agree with cosmonut, and with kolchak.

Mac iBook and Mac PowerBook are good names. It is true that Mac iBook is a little awkward, but less so than Mac Book Pro. There are too many hard sounds in the new name, it is too staccato. Unless one likes those hard consonants, then it would be fine. It does not flow like oil, with a mixture of sounds to strike our ears.

But, like has been reported, and melgross referred to, Steve Jobs essentially said, 'Power is done.' He lived under the shadow of the availability, and speed of development, of motorola and IBM cpus for years, now he has shepherded a major shift in the Mac world.

I like Apple Book, but I suppose it will not resound with enough people.

I sure am looking forward to seeing the new Mac iBook when it arrives, in new size factor. I wish that it might have the duo Yonah in it, but I suppose that may happen when the Merom chip comes along to the new Mac Book.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    15" MacBook Pro

13" MacPamphlet Pro

17" MacCoffeeTableBook Pro -or- 17" MacTome Pro

• Reply 59 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark

I pretty much thought the same thing as everyone else: 'MacBook Pro' seems very awkward. Say it out loud, and the words seem at angles with each other somehow. It's the way you have to change the position of your mouth/tongue from one word to the next. A lingust could explain it better. I've forgotten all my first-year classes.

I'm no linguist either, but I think it's because when you say "MacBook Pro" quickly, it's almost like there's 4 syllables: "Mac-uh-book Pro," which makes it seem more jarring. In "PowerBook," the "er" flows right into "book," making it seem like almost two syllables: "POWerBOOK" vs. "MAC-BOOK-PRO" (there is no strongly de-emphasised syllable in MacBook Pro).

If you think I must be extraordinarily bored to go into this much detail, you assume correctly!

Anyways, the MacBook Pro looks like a very nice machine, though I'm interested to see what the battery life will be like.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaz

Z

Jade, from Ars, said that when he "accidentally" knocked the plug out, with everything running, it said 3 hours.