A Theory Why MacBooks Are Lacking Features!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So the new MacBook Pro is missing the 8-speed Dual Layer DVD burner, and it's also missing FireWire 800. Some are also saying that the lack of battery life being quoted on the web site is because the battery life on it is not that spectacular.

I believe the omission of these features may be due to the following reason.

The Intel-based iMac has replaced its predecessor entirely, but the MacBook Pro has not. The PowerBooks still exist, and I'm guessing they are still high in numbers, and not EOLed yet.

So, my theory is that the MacBook Pro is missing features, because putting all of these features into it would effectively kill the PowerBook line completely, which is not what Apple wants. So, they're still leaving the possibility open that users may opt for a PowerBook for the time being.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    well they arent coming till feb, so maybe they just wanted to show some main stuff. you think there will be another announcement before its release? If so he may touch on it some more.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

well they arent coming till feb, so maybe they just wanted to show some main stuff. you think there will be another announcement before its release? If so he may touch on it some more.

Dude. Get back to drinking. You're only going to drive yourself crazy.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Battery times are missing because some of these issues have not yet been finalized. The units shown at MacWorld are pre-production units and may not be 100% representative of the final MacBooks.

That said, I doubt final battery estimates would be that much off for these units compared to the final units. More likely it's just a matter of time and Apple hasn't had a chance to conduct official battery tests yet. They'd probably like to see what other PC manufactures are quoting for their Core Duo laptops too.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Battery times are missing because some of these issues have not yet been finalized. The units shown at MacWorld are pre-production units and may not be 100% representative of the final MacBooks.

Confirmed officially by Apple in Paris. And most probably elsewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Confirmed officially by Apple in Paris. And most probably elsewhere.

It was also told to me by every Apple staff member near a MacBook at Macworld. So for once I can say CONFIRMED! with a straight face!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

It was also told to me by every Apple staff member near a MacBook at Macworld. So for once I can say CONFIRMED! with a straight face!

Oh, that's good to know.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    ummm.....wrong theory.

the lacking features are due to apple finally getting with the program.

the superdrives in the powerbooks were taller than the industry standard.

they just future proofed the design for next gen slot loading burners by using the correct height drive in them! as for the firewire 800.. they expect people to run SATA out of the express slot or firewire 800 from there too....
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

ummm.....wrong theory.

the lacking features are due to apple finally getting with the program.

the superdrives in the powerbooks were taller than the industry standard.

This is true for the drives. But for the battery life the confirmation is official.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

This is true for the drives. But for the battery life the confirmation is official.

Are you sure it's true for the drives? The 17" PowerBook is the same thickness and the MacBook Pro, but has the faster DVD burner.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

The Intel-based iMac has replaced its predecessor entirely, but the MacBook Pro has not. The PowerBooks still exist, and I'm guessing they are still high in numbers, and not EOLed yet.

The iMac G5 still exist too - take a look at AppleStore under PowerPC products.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Are you sure it's true for the drives? The 17" PowerBook is the same thickness and the MacBook Pro, but has the faster DVD burner.

Look here:

Nous en profitons pour vous communiquer une autre information importante sur le MacBook et plus particulièrement sur son Superdrive 4x et incompatible avec la gravure double couche. Ce choix n'est pas un caprice d'Apple, mais une obligation technique. En effet, le manque de place les a conduit Ã* devoir installer un lecteur "ultra slim", plus fin que ce qui se fait habituellement. Or, il n'en existe pas en 8x ou en double couche.

It says that the new superdrive in the MacBook is an ultra slim model that doesn't still exists in 8x. Sorry if in my previous post I made it look like official explanation, it is just what MB says. It is certainly something very reasonable, as I cannot imagine Apple taking a step back in a pro model, without a serious technical reason (in this case speed of the ultra slim drives).
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Look here:

Nous en profitons pour vous communiquer une autre information importante sur le MacBook et plus particulièrement sur son Superdrive 4x et incompatible avec la gravure double couche. Ce choix n'est pas un caprice d'Apple, mais une obligation technique. En effet, le manque de place les a conduit Ã* devoir installer un lecteur "ultra slim", plus fin que ce qui se fait habituellement. Or, il n'en existe pas en 8x ou en double couche.

It says that the new superdrive in the MacBook is an ultra slim model that doesn't still exists in 8x. Sorry if in my previous post I made it look like official explanation, it is just what MB says. It is certainly something very reasonable, as I cannot imagine Apple taking a step back in a pro model, without a serious technical reason (in this case speed of the ultra slim drives).

Oh, ok. I suppose the MacBook Pro must have something underneath or on top of the drive then? I hope by the next rev to the MacBook Pro these drives are faster
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I think the real reason for the dropping of FW800 is that it is still before it's time. There is only a very very tiny percentage of powerbook users for which USB or FW400 isn't sufficient. Apple really should have waited for a significantly better upgrade to FW400 before switching to a new plug.

FW800 may never see widespread or even relatively common usage. How small of a niche of a niche market can Apple afford to support?

Sorry FW800 users, your numbers may be few enough to only justify support via a third party card.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Does the Intel spec even support FW800? Or is that a seperate chipset.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Ive read 3 hours battery time, and 6 hours. Which one is it?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Ive read 3 hours battery time, and 6 hours. Which one is it?

That probably depends what you're doing. I wouldn't be surprised if you could eek out 6 hours by having 802.11 and BlueTooth off, display brightness turned right down, one of the Intel cores turned off, and the other's clock frequency scaled right back.

I'd be interested to know how much control Apple's energy saver control panel gives over the Intel Core Duo energy saving features.