Lets see a show of hands!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Ok, so who ordered a new mactel?

Lets see a show of hands!

Well not quite on topic but...

I would have ordered an iBook Mactel replacement but instead only the 15" PowerBook has been replaced. So guess I will have to wait until March or April,

wouldn't surprise me if some products get released April Fools Day as Steve said "he doesn't know if they will and what they will do for the 30th anniversary"
  • Reply 2 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'd have a 20" iMac on order, but I recently suffered a $1300 car repair bill, so I'll be waiting until mid February once my bank account has recovered.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I ordered a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro, stock configuration, as soon as the Apple Store opened, $1999 (developer price).
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by palter

I ordered a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro, stock configuration, as soon as the Apple Store opened, $1999 (developer price).

wao you save 500$ on the MacBook? I am just glad I am studying computer science and also becoming a developer
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Haven't ordered yet... so many folks that were in the IRC rooms were like, "OMG, credit card is in hand!" before they even announced anything.

I'm waiting to make sure my apps and accessories work before I dive in.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    I am going to pass on this one till performance of rosetta and older apps is verified, along with the kinks worked out of the system.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I'll be picking up a 1.8 MacBook Pro from my 'local' Apple Store.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by punica888

wao you save 500$ on the MacBook? I am just glad I am studying computer science and also becoming a developer

The $100 student developer membership is a great deal. Definitely take advantage of it as you can save $500 on a MacBook and then get free Mac OS X updates!
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The $100 student developer membership is a great deal. Definitely take advantage of it as you can save $500 on a MacBook and then get free Mac OS X updates!

Is there someplace where I can see all of the developer pricing?

Are there restrictions about how long until you can sell you machine, if you do developer price? With Apple, I never know when I'll want to change machines! haha.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm getting a PowerBook (I refuse to call it a MacBook Pro), maxed out, but my work is paying for it.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I'll be ordering a 1.8GHz MacBook with 100GB 7200RPM drive as soon as my boss approves it - should be later today.

I would love to wait for the 17" since I have a G4 17", but the price looks like it will be too steep - my company will normally only pay $2,500 for a laptop and so I'm pushing it with this.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Is there someplace where I can see all of the developer pricing?

Are there restrictions about how long until you can sell you machine, if you do developer price? With Apple, I never know when I'll want to change machines! haha.

The rules for students are the same as for normal developers: You're not supposed to resell the machine for 1 year. Also, the student hardware discount is a one time affair. You get one discounted machine, period. You can still use the standard EDU discount although it is less and you can always upgrade to the full $500 Select ADC membership to get future discounts.

I think the student program is a great way to lure in future Mac Developers. I used the program and saved a ton on my Ti PowerBook and have since been plunking down $500 a year ever since.

The best policy however is to buy annually. Sell last year's machine and move to the latest machine. Since the discount is the most on high-end gear that's the way to go. That said, I've been using my Rev A Dual G5 for over 2 years now. I should have sold it when the 2.5s were introduced so I could recoup some of the investment and have a faster machine. Then again, like moving, switching machines is a hassle which is why I don't do either.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    You can get ADC information at Apple's Developer site: http://developer.apple.com . Search for "hardware purchase program" for more info on the purchase program. You can also find a link to the Apple Online Store which shows you the discounted prices.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Ordered a stock 1.67 GHz MacBook Pro and am in the process of selling my Rev. C 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    My wife just did--the new imac-she has to be the first kid on the block-I'm waiting to see when Photoshop goes native.

I'm also going to see what Apple comes out with to replace the Powermacs.

But:

That laptop sure is tempting!!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I am fighting the urge to buy one. I only allow myself $5k worth of toys for the year, and 2006 will be a big drag if I blow half that in January.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    It was a blessing in disguise that I couldn't afford to buy an iMac G5 last December. I was planning to get one as a birthday gift to myself coz I didn't think that an Intel iMac would be announced this soon. Now that it's out, I'll probably get this new version. I'll have to wait about 6-8 weeks though since it'll take that much time for the new iMac to get here in my side of the world. Hopefully, there will be a lot of product reviews out already by that time.

I'll hold off purchasing Adobe Creative Suite until it goes native on the Intel iMac. For now, I'll be stuck with using Photoshop 7 and InDesign on my existing peecee.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I got my wife's MacBook on order within 5 minutes of the site returning, and my father-in-law's within a few minutes of that. Wife's is replacing a PB G4 1.25, and f-i-l is replacing a 6 year old HP laptop (will be his first Mac, though he spends most of his computing time on my mother in law's iMac G5, heh).
  • Reply 19 of 30
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    anyone got delivery dates for the new iMac?
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

anyone got delivery dates for the new iMac?

I ordered my new 20" iMac Duo on Wednesday night the 11th, with 2 GB RAM, 256 MB video upgrade. Throughout the process Apple indicated 3-5 days to ship.After processing the order, the ship date came back Jan. 19th. Pooh.