Someone explain this to me...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
"Sources familiar with the company's Intel plans say the Mac-maker will continue to build on the MacBook Pro product line later this year with the addition of new models..."

That is from AppleInsider. Continue to build on the Macbook Pro Line???? OK someone explain this to me please. Is this gonna be a 17inch? I don't want to buy one when there is an update right around the corner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

"Sources familiar with the company's Intel plans say the Mac-maker will continue to build on the MacBook Pro product line later this year with the addition of new models..."

That is from AppleInsider. Continue to build on the Macbook Pro Line???? OK someone explain this to me please. Is this gonna be a 17inch? I don't want to buy one when there is an update right around the corner.

1. No one here knows anything about Apple's future product plans. Period.

2. There is always "an update right around the corner".
  • Reply 2 of 39
    well you think they will update the 15inch, or will they just throw in new sizes, because that is "building the product line" Yet they are talking new models. Im having second thoughts now. And then i read that rumor of the guy in the bar telling his friend not to buy one there is something really cool coming bla bla. So know that in my mind know too.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    What Chris said, plus, take note that "a guy in a bar told me..." is a long-standing running joke in the Apple rumor world. It's usually used to flag a joke posting or article, not one to be taken seriously.

Besides, the rumor sites will post anything to get clicks, not to mention that making the 'rumor' as vague as possible ("It's so cool!") makes it so that no matter *what* gets announced, they can claim "I told you so!"
  • Reply 4 of 39
    yeah, that was sketchy...but what about this.

that is no walk in the bar thing. this is from appleinsider. you dont think they are gonna extremely update it like a new chip already do you? they say new models, why would they say that? you know what im saying. its just that i dont want to drop 2 grand for something that when i get it, there gonna be like " 4-5 Times Faster than the Intel DualCore"...i would be pretty not happy/
  • Reply 5 of 39
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Whatever Apple has in the pipeline, I don't think you can rule out a refresh of the 15" MBP sooner than normal.

I'm guessing that Apple released whatever they could to make a statement at Macworld (the transition is ahead of schedule, it's going smoothly, we can make a faster laptop with at the same price point with Intel chips).

That doesn't mean that there aren't further, Apple tuned revisions to the chip set (firewire 800?) that weren't ready for the show, and which Apple would release as soon as they were ready, even if that was in a couple of months. Maybe in tandem with other models in the MBP line.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    If you release x in February, it's no great leap to say more models of x will come later in the year. As a 15" MacBook Pro was just released it's a safe bet a 17" will follow at some point (maybe 12" too), and with Intel releasing new processors roughly quarterly, Apple will need to do the same.

We may well see new Apple products every 3 monts from now on, which will be fabulous.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I don't see MacBook Pro II (now with 3.0GHz quad core!) coming out in three months, is all. More models to me means expanding the line with new variants, like new screen sizes. If you like the 15", then get the 15". If you want the biggest screen you can get, then you might want to wait.

Then again, I advised my 83 year old great-aunt to get a new iMac G5 three weeks ago because the chances of them upgrading it were almost non-existant. D'oh.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    As far as I know, Intel doesn't have any major updates planned in the next six months for their Core Duo and Core Solo processors.

At this juncture I think it's very safe to say no one can predict what Apple's going to update anymore; even the 'most likely scenario' is turning out to be wrong over and over again (i.e. the iMac receiving 3 updates in a row while the iBook receives none). However, if I had to guess what "build on the MacBook Pro line" means, a 17" model with the 2Ghz Core Duo chip Apple currently isn't using is a given. And unless that 17" model is going to sell for $2,999, price cuts of $200-$300 on the current MacBooks would be necessary. However, since the current MacBook Pro's aren't shipping until February I would wager no changes would be made to the line until April/May, at which time Core Solo's will be in abundant supply and Apple can introduce new iBooks also.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

yeah, that was sketchy...but what about this.

But that is only stating an obvious product trajectory. Are they likely to create a 17" version MacBook Pro? Probably. Faster version? More features? Sure.

The MacBook Pro is the Powerbook with an Intel chip. So it is not a greatly imaginative leap to suggest a 17" version of MacBook Pro. But when? How much? Etc. No one here knows.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Sigh. They aren't going to obsolete a brand new flagship product, they are going to obsolete the old products. All the statement means is that they will bring out more x86-based Macs until their whole lineup has x86 equivalents, and along the way the PPC models will drop out of existance. Don't worry about buying one of the brand new machines, aside from the general rule warning against buying "version 1.0" of anything.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    so no new chips are gonna be in macbook pro's this year, atleast in the brand new 15 inch....forgive my insanity. this is gonna be my first mac, thank GOD!...and im a college student with not the best expenses, so i dont want to drop 2000+ if something better is coming out this year.plus im just like that with tech stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

so no new chips are gonna be in macbook pro's this year, atleast in the brand new 15 inch....forgive my insanity. this is gonna be my first mac, thank GOD!...and im a college student with not the best expenses, so i dont want to drop 2000+ if something better is coming out this year.plus im just like that with tech stuff.

Someone more knowledgeable with Intel's processor schedule should chime in here (Intel posts it for public viewing - it's not speculation), but as far as I know the Core Duo chips found in the MacBook's aren't going to increase significantly more this year. I would expect the MacBook's will come down in price later in the year, however. There certainly won't be anymore "this new machine is 4x faster than the one it replaces!" stuff happening with the MacBook Pro's this year, so if that's your concern I'd say it's safe to buy.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    OK then! So I think it's safe to predict:

The instant MacsRbetter buys a MBP, Apple will release a revised model with better battery life, a modem, firewire 800, faster, dual layer DVD burner, that missing 60 pixels of vertical res and for $200 cheaper.

Because, when it's all said and done, Apple hates you and wants to drive you insane.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    ive hit the bottle...im torn to much...to many rumors, to much talk...not enough JACK DANIELS!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

ive hit the bottle...im torn to much...to many rumors, to much talk...not enough JACK DANIELS!

You've done the right thing. Jack will see you through, and you can bet your ass the fellas over in Lynchburg aren't gonna make you sorry by coming out with a faster Jack with more memory. It has always been, and always will be, about slower, and less memory.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Oh for heavens sake. There is no enormous performance leap coming, and you simply wouldn't notice 20-30% if it happened. There are no magic bullets coming -- Apple just introduced machines based on the same latest-and-greatest chips from Intel that everybody else did. Apple will broaden their lineup based on things like display size and weight.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Oh for heavens sake. There is no enormous performance leap coming, and you simply wouldn't notice 20-30% if it happened. There are no magic bullets coming -- Apple just introduced machines based on the same latest-and-greatest chips from Intel that everybody else did. Apple will broaden their lineup based on things like display size and weight.

I agree, with a few notes. I think that Apple may release an 12" model based on Intels more expensive, 1.5 and 1.6 dual core low voltage chips. The iBook replacement will get the 1.66 dual core and single core. Pro models will have video spanning, consumer models will have video mirroring.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iBooks now hv only VGA out - it will be upgraded to DVI with video spanning but without Dual Link DVI (which can drive 30"), do not think iBooks users need to drive 30" rite

MacBook (iBooks) will take on normal PC note books

MacBook Pro will take on high end models (from Sony, Toshiba, Fujutsu...)

in my region, i harldy seen any PC notebooks with DVI out yet! or its just me
  • Reply 19 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

if you can wait until June WWDC, you will be able to compare the entire line of products

13" MacBook

12" MacBook Pro

15.4" MacBook Pro

17" MacBook Pro

then you will be able to choose, guess they will reduce $200 for 15.4"!
  • Reply 20 of 39
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

if you can wait until June WWDC, you will be able to compare the entire line of products

13" MacBook

12" MacBook Pro

15.4" MacBook Pro

17" MacBook Pro

No, I don't see that 12" MacBook Pro happening. I see it in the dustheap of history for Apple. It will be the 13" MacBook that bridges the gap in the product line on the low-end.

And while we're talking about what's next, I think we'll see some more new products around March. Steve left a nice opening for a special announcement. Why? Well when they announce that the Intel version of their pro apps are ready, we perhaps will see the 17-inch MacBook Pro.