Analysts: Apple's legal trail points to mobile product

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A series of recent trademarks and patent filings made by Apple Computer indicates that the company is preparing a connected ecosystem consisting of a mobile product and/or service, says Pacific Crest Securities.

The independent investment bank believes company filings consisting of an antenna apparatus within an laptop, a method of transmission using a portable device, and a new trademark on the phrase "Mobile Me" all hint at a major development in the mobile space.

In a research note sent to clients this week, analysts Steve Lidberg and David Niederman point out that applications and services highlighted in the company's Mobile Me trademark filing include telecommunication services, and retrieval of data, images, audio and video through global communication networks, including TV, cellular and satellite networks.

They say any move by Apple to become a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) could strengthen the company's bond to its growing customer base that includes 32 million iPods and 4.7 million Mac systems sold in 2005.

"Projecting the timing of any type of initiative is extremely difficult," the analysts wrote. "However, proving consumers with ubiquitous access and a seamless experience could be very compelling and generate $4 billion in service and device sales alone, while opening doors to new products and services."

The investment bank sees Apple's momentum opening additional opportunities in entertainment content, products and services, positioning the company for superior growth in the next several years.

In a similar report published on TheStreet.com on Thursday, journalist Troy Wolverton also vouched his belief that Apple's recent filings with the United States Patent and Trademark Office could be a precursor to the company entering the mobile phone market.

However, Wolverton is quick to point out that Apple has been known in the past to pursue patent or trademark protection for products that never see the light of day.

Pacific Crest Securities currently holds an "Outperform" rating on shares of Apple Computer with a 12-month price target of $85.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "antenna within a laptop" - maybe just covers the MacBook Pro?

I assume the antenna design is different since I no longer see the gray patches on the left and the right in pictures. Where is the antenna in the MacBook Pro exactly?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Truly wireless computing? Maybe no need to be near a wi-fi hotspot or cellular network?... maybe they've figured out how to create a wireless network using magnetic fields... or something...

With so many exciting new things happening at Apple these days, I'm ready for just about anything. 8)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

"antenna within a laptop" - maybe just covers the MacBook Pro?

I assume the antenna design is different since I no longer see the gray patches on the left and the right in pictures. Where is the antenna in the MacBook Pro exactly?

hinge, I believe
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Does the new hinge have more plastic and less metal? Or are there vents that are enough for the signal? Hard for me to see... I should get the 360° QTVR.

Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Truly wireless computing? Maybe no need to be near a wi-fi hotspot or cellular network?

You mean like the old Intel Centrino ads PRETENDED?

Those ads acted like you could be in the middle of the antarctic and still get WiFi no matter what.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    How can an outperm price of aapl be sat at $85!? It's already $85 now! So they expect NASDAQ to be red for 12 months?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by vikingstad

How can an outperm price of aapl be sat at $85!? It's already $85 now! So they expect NASDAQ to be red for 12 months?

Maybe they expect it to split or something and reach 85 again. Either that or a typo.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Now that would be Apple's style! Launch an Apple Wireless Network so their laptops can connect anywhere the network goes. Just boot up, and BAM, you're online. Not add-ons, like wireless phones are now, but built-in, integrated, part of the OS...

But just for Apple laptops, not Wintel crap...gotta give people a really good reason to buy Apple, and what better than an Apple branded wireless network?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I guess this also fits with 2 new 'features' of the MacBook Pro.

1) No modem

2) It also supports 802.11a

I would not be at all surprised to see Apple introducing some very useful mobile technologies. There are many possibilities.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Those ads acted like you could be in the middle of the antarctic and still get WiFi no matter what.

Reminds me of the stupidly "humorous" ad I saw the other night for some PC-anywhere-type product where a guy says "I'm near the top of Kilimanjaro and my boss needs documents by this afternoon" and the obnoxious narrator responds "You need PC everywhere! Connect to your PC no matter where you are!". It repeated that sort of sensationalized hype several times and I suffered through it just to make sure it was all as painfully unfunny as I expected, which of course it was. The thought of such inane torture influencing people to buy products makes me cringe with disgust.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iPod Mobile (with mobile functionality)

or just super duper guess

reborn of iNewton on 1st April???