Flip4Mac now Free

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It appears that Microsoft bought or made some kind of a deal with Flip4Mac as it appears that they are releasing Flip4Mac through their website for free.

This is awesome news. WMP was not too good, and they don't have to spend time with a new version. Just distribute it as a QT plug-in and be done with it. They should have done this a long time ago.

One question: do you need Safari to play .wma and .wmv content on your browser, or does it work with any browser?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It appears that Microsoft bought or made some kind of a deal with Flip4Mac as it appears that they are releasing Flip4Mac through their website for free.

This is awesome news. WMP was not too good, and they don't have to spend time with a new version. Just distribute it as a QT plug-in and be done with it. They should have done this a long time ago.

One question: do you need Safari to play .wma and .wmv content on your browser, or does it work with any browser?

Indeed good news. Overall, this has been an amazing day.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I like it even though it is coming via Microsoft.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    It seems to crash Safari and QuickTime Player with every WMV I play (Safari 2.0.3, Quicktime 7.0.4). It also doesn't seem very well integrated with QuickTime... I have to select "WMV Player" from the Open With menu, instead of just "QuickTime Player". WMVs can also take a very long time to open, and they don't always look as good as they do in Windows Media Player.

I'm not trying to dog free software, but is it supposed to be this bad? At least we can now play WMVs in something other than Windows Media Player, and we now have a way to export WMVs to our video iPods. Hopefully Microsoft can work with them and make it a little better.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

It seems to crash Safari and QuickTime Player with every WMV I play (Safari 2.0.3, Quicktime 7.0.4). It also doesn't seem very well integrated with QuickTime... I have to select "WMV Player" from the Open With menu, instead of just "QuickTime Player". WMVs can also take a very long time to open, and they don't always look as good as they do in Windows Media Player.

It does crash QuickTime, but only when you close it. So it's tolerable so far. They'll fix it, I'm sure.

You can Get Info on one of the files you want to play and tell it to play all files of that nature in WMV Player (QuickTime basically). They should automagically play in QuickTime from then on.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    It doesn't seem to crash my quicktime here, but I have the full studio version so maybe there's a difference with player module.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Whoa... Finder crashes wazzoo with the new version... files that previewed fine in column view with FLIP4Mac now regularly crash Finder.

Uninstalled.

Going back to the earlier version (1.0.2) which seemed fine under 10.4.4.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Is anybody able to use AVI files that use WMV9 for video? The trial version I had for my recently retired ibook was able to play them fine, but they don't even open under 2.0.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    so, i read this as microsoft has gotten tired trying to update windows media player for mac, so instead, they'll just offer the codecs for use with QuickTime for free.

hell, that's actually a philosophy i can get behind.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    It's incompatible with the very latest point update to QuickTime (from a few days ago) -- hence the crashing. They're aware of the problem and are working on a fix.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

It's incompatible with the very latest point update to QuickTime (from a few days ago) -- hence the crashing. They're aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

The fixed has been posted. It seems to have done the trick.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The fixed has been posted. It seems to have done the trick.

Mine is still crashing when I close a video. I have the latest Quicktime and just downloaded and installed the latest Flip4Mac.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't get 2.0.1, I had downloaded 2.0. Now it works.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    For those who has it installed:

Go by www.dailyshow.com and see if you can get their clips to work. I can´t. It doesn´t load anything for me
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Go by www.dailyshow.com and see if you can get their clips to work. I can´t. It doesn´t load anything for me

Comedy Central seems to have lots of traffic. My guess is that the server is overloaded.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Everything I try get the same -2048 error. Locally, on my iBook, i get tons of dropped frames. I sure hope Microsoft help them program this so it doesn't suck.

Also, you still can't watch MSNBC because Windows Media 10 isn't supported. Is Microsoft trying to lock-out Mac's from digital media?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Flip4Mac released 2.0.1 which fixes the crashing issue with QuickTime 7.0.4.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I can't seem to watch streaming media in Firefox with it. I hope they really fix it because I love the idea of never having to touch WMP again.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I just tried the videos at The Daily Show web site. I could not get those to stream. However, I am able to watch the videos from CNN's web site with no problem.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My only problem is that it cant play the media from the subscribtion side of bobandtom.com and other web sites like that.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ^ They might be using WMP 10.0 only codecs. Flip4Mac doesn't support those yet.