Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Come on, fellas, get into the spirit of the thing.

"Mac Book" is clearly intended to by pronounced like "MacBeth", with a bit of a roguish brogue. Try it: make the "c" in "Mac" a little guttural and then shorten up "book" into something more like "buk".

"Aye, 'tis a nobel Mac Book, be she pro or be she homely, that braves the shifting fortunes and leaps, at once! from her mother's loving board and, having leapt, comes to rest at last upon this vexed plane, this field of dreams, this desk."

See what fun? Now mac people can lord their literary pretensions over the PC masses, as well, and we'll do it simply by uttering the name of our device.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    Referring to it as MBP will alleviate some typing strain.

• Reply 63 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

Referring to it as MBP will alleviate some typing strain.

Yeah, I just did that on Ars.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I personally favor iPowerMacBook ProNanoShuffle.

yeah thats sure to make existing applecare support line even better...

Automated Voice: "Hello, please speak the product with which you need help with today, for example you could say imac or ipod nano"

ME: Ibook

Automated Voice: "I think you said Ipod shuffle, is this correct"

ME; No, Ibook, I-book

Automated voice: "Okay, this time i heard Mac Mini, is this correct"

ME: uhh... Operator.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    How about MobiMac Pro for the new PowerBook and MobiMac for the new iBook? Or FlyMac Or MacMobi?

I suppose trademarks also has to be taken into consideration.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    1. The name sucks. MacBook is awkward to say and the PowerBook name has 15 years of brand loyalty behind it.

2. This feels like a rushed out "we've got to have a notebook to go with this new iMac" product. There's only one size screen available and the FireWire 800 port is missing.

3. The 15" PowerBook ships with a 65W power adapter. The 15" MacBook Pro will ship with an 85W adapter. It's not hard to see which one sucks more juice. Apple has promised a 60W hour battery in the MacBook Pro in place of the 50W hour battery in the 15" PowerBook so battery life shouldn't be too much worse.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dannyk

How about MobiMac Pro for the new PowerBook and MobiMac for the new iBook? Or FlyMac Or MacMobi?

I suppose trademarks also has to be taken into consideration.

I can see it now, Captain Ahab, and his search for Mobi Mac.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bregalad

1. The name sucks. MacBook is awkward to say and the PowerBook name has 15 years of brand loyalty behind it.

2. This feels like a rushed out "we've got to have a notebook to go with this new iMac" product. There's only one size screen available and the FireWire 800 port is missing.

3. The 15" PowerBook ships with a 65W power adapter. The 15" MacBook Pro will ship with an 85W adapter. It's not hard to see which one sucks more juice. Apple has promised a 60W hour battery in the MacBook Pro in place of the 50W hour battery in the 15" PowerBook so battery life shouldn't be too much worse.

intel = more heat. what else is new?

Intel processor preformance in a nutshell:

If Temp<X degrees celsuis then run faster

else run slower

jobs talk about performance per watt was kindda a joke and the elephant in the room was AMD with the best preformance per watt. Though i understand why jobs picked intel -- brand name, higher Ghz, better immediate availability of mobile chips and better production capabilities.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I think AppleInsider ought to find a new rumor mill. Just like I never got why the rumors persisted that they'd introduce an Intel iBook before a new PowerBook, I have no idea why they'd do it before replacing the rest of the PowerBook line. PowerBooks are more profitable to sell, so why would Apple replace the iBook first? Get people who want an Intel Mac laptop first to buy a MacBook Pro. Also, if you're aiming an Intel iBook for the education market, there's no rush till mid/late summer. Unless Apple wants to lose money, I'd expect more new MacBook Pro's before iBooks.

As far as the iBook name goes, why rename it when you still have the iMac??? Maybe it'll be the iMacBook? iMacMini anyone? I'm with everyone else who thinks they should've stuck with the PowerBook name (as well as features like FireWire 800, modem, S-Video out) instead of MacBook Pro. Put me down for predicting the names as: iMacMini (Mac mini), iMac, iMacBook (iBook), Mac Pro (Power Mac) and MacBook Pro (PowerBook). I still want my iMacTablet (formerly iTablet).

Since there keep seeming to be these rumors that the 12" PowerBook might be going away, maybe these 13" widescreens are for a new MacBook Pro (12" PowerBook replacement) rather than some fabled iBook that never showed up when predicted. Based on the most recent incorrect rumors of what would be showing up at Macworld Expo, it sounds to me like Apple knows where their leaks are, and they're feeding them junk.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Come on, fellas, get into the spirit of the thing.

"Mac Book" is clearly intended to by pronounced like "MacBeth", with a bit of a roguish brogue. Try it: make the "c" in "Mac" a little guttural and then shorten up "book" into something more like "buk".

"Aye, 'tis a nobel Mac Book, be she pro or be she homely, that braves the shifting fortunes and leaps, at once! from her mother's loving board and, having leapt, comes to rest at last upon this vexed plane, this field of dreams, this desk."

See what fun? Now mac people can lord their literary pretensions over the PC masses, as well, and we'll do it simply by uttering the name of our device.

What an excellent post, and what mirth you bring to us! Thank you for easing my mind.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

RoadApple

Chuckle. I've already suggested these will be classed as RoadApples eventually. Come on, these are stop gaps. Nice stop gaps but the real deal has yet to land.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike12309

jobs talk about performance per watt was kindda a joke and the elephant in the room was AMD with the best preformance per watt.

On the desktop and in a server yes, in a laptop or iMac form factor, no.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

On the desktop and in a server yes, in a laptop or iMac form factor, no.

im the only one in the world that still loves desktops more than laptops :-( sniff.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

im the only one in the world that still loves desktops more than laptops :-( sniff.

Horses for courses. I like them both, depending on what I need. I do 90% of my work on my dual G5 because it has a better keyboard, better screen, more speed, more storage, more RAM, etc. But I obviously can't take it with me everywhere, so I've got a 12" PB, too. And having two machines means I don't really have to worry too much if one develops temporary problems.

Quote:

I'm no linguist either, but I think it's because when you say "MacBook Pro" quickly, it's almost like there's 4 syllables: "Mac-uh-book Pro," which makes it seem more jarring.

And that's pretty much how the Japanese will have to pronounce it. It'll be "Mah-ku-bu-ku" to them. (De-emphasizing the "ku" syllables, but still there.)
  • Reply 75 of 107
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

And that's pretty much how the Japanese will have to pronounce it. It'll be "Mah-ku-bu-ku" to them. (De-emphasizing the "ku" syllables, but still there.)

Actually, I think that has a bit more flair than MacBook Pro... Makabuku Plo. Yeah, I like it.
  • Reply 76 of 107
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Anyone think we're spending WAY too much time talking about this?
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Actually, I think that has a bit more flair than MacBook Pro... Makabuku Plo. Yeah, I like it.

That is good. Makubuku. I like it too. It has more rhythm. No, I don't think such pleasure can be taking too much time. But I have to get going now.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    I emailed Jobs about the macbookname and told him they should name it a "probook" since it has more punch in it, like the "power" did in the last product line, and that is who the product is marketed towards anyways.. He however politley disagreed and said, (and I copied this from my email mind you...)

"We like "Mac" in the name, and think that Mac has a lot of punch too."
  • Reply 79 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

I emailed Jobs about the macbookname and told him they should name it a "probook" since it has more punch in it, like the "power" did in the last product line, and that is who the product is marketed towards anyways.. He however politley disagreed and said, (and I copied this from my email mind you...)

"We like "Mac" in the name, and think that Mac has a lot of punch too."

i like probook better. but maybe macbook pro will grow on me.

personally i would have liked ipowermacbook shufflepro
  • Reply 80 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark

I pretty much thought the same thing as everyone else: 'MacBook Pro' seems very awkward. Say it out loud, and the words seem at angles with each other somehow. It's the way you have to change the position of your mouth/tongue from one word to the next.

Yeah, it sounds like "TIC-TAC-TOE".

I hope they will get rid of "TOE" (or Pro), and call it "MacBook". And keep the name "iBook" for the other liine.